d1 or d2 seats in a series/ defender - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 14th, 2010, 10:58 PM
orionpco
larry burns
1962 series 2a

d1 or d2 seats in a series/ defender

what would it take to install d1 or d2 seats in a series or defender? would they be to tall?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 14th, 2010, 11:02 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

I've seen RRC seats used but not disco. I'm sure someone will pipe up on it.
Old October 15th, 2010, 09:19 AM
PMKColorado
Paul Koentges
'95 White D-90, #2625

seats

I considered a set but it sits too high in the seat (space between steering wheel). Also too tight between door cards and tuffty console. I wanted to stay with Land Rover heated seats, however, RR, Freelander (rails are wrong) seats, same problem. Being too cheap to buy customs, I scoured the junk yards for the lowest profile cushion sport seats...found Hyundai Tiburon sport seats for $100/set. Added seat heaters and could not be happier. They have plastic backs with net, blk/gry fabric matches the interior, the seat rails match, though I had to drill and remount two bolt holes in the seat boxes; are longer & bolstered for better thigh support; able to slide them farther back (more leg room) etc. I do cringe a bit knowing that I am sitting in non-OEM seats (my ass is very happy), however, the originals are proudly displayed on my shop wall…never to be sold!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 15th, 2010, 09:46 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Paul, how about the height of the seat base compared to the stock seats? I am actually looking for a solution to lower my butt in my series so I can see through the windshield without hunching.
Old October 15th, 2010, 09:51 AM
PMKColorado
Paul Koentges
'95 White D-90, #2625

seats

I will measure and post a pic...
Slightly higher but I see fine…6’-0” average torso…

seat box to front cushion height = 6 1/2"; OEM seats at 5 3/4"; the Hyundai seat is lower than the OEM at the back of the seat and is manually adjustable.

If your "monkey torso" can't see out of OEM...you might have to look at sitting on a bleacher pad... , I don't think you will find a lower seat bottom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA150013.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	32153   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA150015.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	32154  

Old October 15th, 2010, 09:54 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
I'm interested in seeing it, but don't got to any trouble over it. If it's higher I can't use it (6'-3" monkey torso)
Old October 15th, 2010, 10:57 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Is shortening the seat-box an option? The D1/D2 seats aren't much more comfortable than the Defender ones. I'm finding my biggest issue is the leg angles/room more than the seats themselves, I've got a set of Exmoor ones on the way and will be playing around with different spacers to try to get things comfortable and get rid of the horrible clutch knee pain.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old October 15th, 2010, 11:05 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Paul you are likely right on the bleacher pad . The back portion of the seat is the part that needs to be lowest though. I am going to see if I can find some foam that can give adequate support without being too thick, but I think I'll need parabolics to help cushion the ride too

I have not measured, but my butt isn't too wide so a "scalloped" seatbox lid may be part of the solution, assuming I am not wider than the lid.

I'd like whatever changes I make be reversible, otherwise I'd do a bulkhead eliminator bar and mount a seat further back.

Sorry for the hijack Larry.
Old October 15th, 2010, 11:10 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

The half-inch neoprene foam I got from the Foam Factory to put on the bulkhead behind the dash makes a good seat base against the board, if you can work out the correct shape a firmer closed-cell foam will be a lot more comfortable. Perhaps we could convince Corbin to start doing Defender seats that don't cripple too.

- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old October 15th, 2010, 11:17 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Ok, I went out and tested. The seatbox lid is substantially narrower than the rails and offset to the left so trying to have a lid that curves lower than the seatbox top surface isn't going to work.

It appears I need a max of 2" of cushion height (after compression) above the seatbox at the rear 1/3 of the seat to be able to see comfortably out the windshield. I'll look into foam options, but will try bleacher pads tomorrow
Old October 15th, 2010, 11:28 AM
PMKColorado
Paul Koentges
'95 White D-90, #2625

add a couple rolls of ducktape (seatbelts) and you are golden! Maybe you should chop the D-90 so you can see "over" the windscreen...
Old October 15th, 2010, 11:30 AM
draaronr
Here
LR3

I've done d2 power heated seats in a Defender and second row. Here are the pics, the whole front seat box is cut up and reworked, different more narrow center console, and customer wanted rear seats pushed back for more leg room so had to cut and modify the wheel wells. Coolest thing is the second row has the shoulder belt built into the seat for a true clean 3 point.

And BS d2 seats are way nicer than defender seats.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_3421.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	32155   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3426.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	32156  

Name:	100_3431.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	32157   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3432.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	32158  

Name:	100_3439.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	32159  
Old October 15th, 2010, 11:33 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMKColorado View Post
add a couple rolls of ducktape (seatbelts) and you are golden! Maybe you should chop the D-90 so you can see "over" the windscreen...
Too funny. I don't have this problem in the Defender, just the series. Maybe a taller windshield for the summer, and the standard height when I put the hard top back on...but then the winter is still a hassle. Naah, I'm going to start hunching over eventually anyway as I get older
Old October 15th, 2010, 11:37 AM
PMKColorado
Paul Koentges
'95 White D-90, #2625

seat humor

sad that we are all so addicted to our LR’s…the things we are willing to overlook…too bad we can’t always look at life in the same way…enjoy. Larry…sorry for the highjack, good luck with seats.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
seats, series