D1 300TDI 2 piece Fan Shroud questions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 8th, 2015, 01:27 PM
mdcoa
Bill
1995 Discovery

D1 300TDI 2 piece Fan Shroud questions

My 300TDi D1 has a one-piece fan shroud (a Defender shroud, I imagine). In the source of doing a P-gasket replacement (and now replacing the water pump which I cracked in the process of reinstallation), it has come to my attention that removing the fan (which, as far as I could figure out has to be done by removing the entire shroud at the same time) is a big pain in the behind.

I noticed in poking around online that 300TDi Discos should have a 2-piece shroud, ESR3276 and ESR2848, or maybe this is just some of them. . .

Two quick questions:
1) with the 2-piece shroud, can you in fact get the fan out the top for belt changes, water pump work, etc?

2) How does the 2-piece shroud attach to the radiator frame? My current shroud fits over two threaded studs on the trailing edge of the radiator frame . . .same thing? (and, no, I don't think I have the Defender radiator frame, since new holes were drilled in the one-piece shroud to fit on the studs on my rad frame)

If this is sufficiently beneficial and a bolt-in swap, I will probably try to find a breaker who can send a used one over here . . . . thanks in advance for your thoughts and collective wisdom.

-bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 10th, 2015, 12:24 PM
antisoshal
michael hathaway
1995 Discovery

My two piece shroud sorta allows the fan out but I think I have always removed the shroud first, which is the benefit of the two piece. There are frame "clamps" on the bottom of the radiator framing that the shroud sits in. On the sides are ridges on the radiator bracket that the shroud slid down in on. Im not really sure what originally held it in beyond weight, but I modified mine so now have two small metal brackets that I made that hold it in. The main benefit of the two piece shroud is that you can remove it without removing the fan at the same time. Mine is now pretty butchered up because I made a separate fan shroud for the intercooler with electric fans so you get cooling at low speeds.

Nice to know there's someone else with a 300Tdi in a D1. I have yet to see any others.
Old September 10th, 2015, 12:26 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by antisoshal View Post
Nice to know there's someone else with a 300Tdi in a D1. I have yet to see any others.
I pass one locally in mine every day... dime a dozen nowadays
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 10th, 2015, 12:59 PM
mdcoa
Bill
1995 Discovery

Been doing more research, and have heard and seen rumblings of folks cutting one-piece shrouds to allow the shroud to be removed without taking out the upper radiator hose first.

This might be an even better solution for me than a two-piece shroud, which still (I believe) requires the removal of the rad hose to get the shroud fully out.

Anyone have ideas where the cut should be made? I'm thinking at the 10 o/clock position, basically where the intercooler shoulder meets the main shroud. I think this would allow me (after unbolting the fan and sneaking it out between shroud and radiator, which I did last night) to maneuver the shroud upward with the radiator hose in its "fan hole," then invert the shroud and use the same cut to get it off the hose entirely. . . .

I've also read of folks cutting their shrouds in half and zip tying them together. . . two bolts and a set of side cutters, and your shroud's off!

Anybody seen any mods like this? It'd sure be nice to be able to access stuff without draining/spilling coolant . . .

Or, is there even a point? I can get the fan out without removing the shroud (it fits between the shroud and radiator if I unbolt the shroud)--and maybe that alone gives me easy access for roadside serpentine belt changes, which is the main chore I was thinking of when I thought a removable shroud would sure be nice.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300tdi, fan, tdi