D-90 stuck in Park, Won't start. HELP!!! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 25th, 2003, 02:47 AM
brianosaurus
Brian Gottlieb

D-90 stuck in Park, Won't start. HELP!!!

My wife and I stopped for gas about 20 miles short of our destination (after driving about 650 miles, and filling up.. uh.. 4 times).

After we filled the tank and were ready to go, the Defender would not start. It doesn't roll over. It doesn't even try. The battery seems to be OK (lights are still bright), and a jumpstart didn't work either. The really weird thing is that the car is stuck in Park. I can't shift to neutral. I can't move the Hi/Lo-4 shifter either (I tried, hoping maybe it would jiggle something lose, but it wouldn't budge).

We got a dolly tow to our destination, but given that its Xmas Eve we probably won't be able to get it to a shop until friday or perhaps monday.

Right now we suspect its the starter, but I'm not crawling under it in the rain until at least tomorrow (and hopefully it won't be raining). I figured I'd ask here to see if there's any other possibilities.

Any ideas anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 25th, 2003, 09:58 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
what year? the hi low really isnt that easy to move when you are st a stand still. I am gonna assume you have a 97. I think starter would be a good idea. check the wires on it something could be loose? milage year?
Old December 25th, 2003, 10:28 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

I have had a problem like this with our Disco every once in a blue moon. Happens to me from shutting off the truck too fast before Park was fully engaged is all I can thing of. I have fixed it by turning the key all the way on, trying to shift to reverse and then jamming it back forward to Park. Turn off key and then try it. Since I park on a slight hill the truck does rock a little so maybe between that and the rocking what ever sensor is causing this gets reset. It's been a little while since it has happened so I can cant remember is I actually have gotten it into full reverse.

You should be able to move the diff lock from engaged to disengaged will not moving but ideally, you should be slowly rolling to shift between high and low.

Also, is there fluid in the trans?

Good luck, hopefully its just that.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 25th, 2003, 01:17 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Check to see if the brake lights are coming on. I have seen the brake light switch fail and lock Defender's in park on two different occasions. The switch connects to the mechanism that locks the car in park if brakes are not applied. The mechanism is fooled by the inoperative switch. The switch is located on top of the brake pedal housing near the firewall aft of the master cylinder. Cleaning the contacts might work.

Best of luck, and hope your holiday isn't completely ruined.

Doug
Old December 25th, 2003, 01:42 PM
brianosaurus
Brian Gottlieb

brake lights are out, too

Thanks for the replies, and thanks Doug for the brake switch tip! The brake lights are out, so that's probably it.

Hopefully we can find a shop nearby that's open tomorrow.

Oh yeah.. '97 d-90, about 36,000 miles.
Old December 25th, 2003, 02:01 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Brian... you can temporarily remove the wires from the brake light switch and jump them with a piece of wire to check if it will shift and if the brake lights go on. Then you could at least drive it. Then if its the switch, drive to the rover dealer, pick one up and screw the new one in right in the parking lot. Merry, Merry..

Randy
Old December 25th, 2003, 07:16 PM
brianosaurus
Brian Gottlieb

Problem solved. Turns out it was a fuse.

Too bad I didn't check that first. I had checked the fuses under the hood, but didn't know about the other fusebox. Now I do

I was checking out the switch, shorted the wires and still no go, so I followed the wires and found the fuses.

Anyway, we're rolling again. Thanks for all the help.
Old December 25th, 2003, 11:32 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Cool.. this is one for the new FAQ section when I get that pulled into the DB.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old December 12th, 2007, 09:37 AM
KeithElisa
Keith Parkin
97 D90 SW

Thank you Thank you Thank you. I just had the same problem and it was a fuse on my 97 D90. I was about to have it towed to the shop. This board just saved me a lot of money!
Old December 12th, 2007, 09:45 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

As long as this thread has been revived...When the brake light switch goes it usually will allow the veh. to start but will not allow it to be shifted out of part b/c the shift interlock solenoid is not receiving the signal from the switch as someone else mentioned. This is quite common on Disco IIs, so any of you with a disco II should take note of this.

One thing you can try to get it in gear and to the dealer is stabbing the brake pedal really quick and hard with your foot. Sometimes doing this one or many times will make the switch work intermittently and allow you to shift into gear and get moving.

Just a heads up.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d-90, start