D-90 Starting Problems - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 19th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Marvin
Marvin Boyd
1994/Defender

D-90 Starting Problems

Need some help on finding the source of some starting issues I'm having with my 1994 D-90.
Details;
1. About 60 to 70% of the time it starts fine with no issues. Especially on initial starts.
2. This has been a problem for the last 6 to 9 months (Don't drive it very often).
3. I've drained the tank and added fresh fuel so the fuel itself shouldn't be the issue.
4. Most of the problem occurs after it has been running for a while and it has been turned off and I try to crank it again.
5. It sometimes will quit while idleing and won't start back until it sets for a few hours.
6. I think it has something to do with the fuel flow because one spray of Starter Fluid and it starts right up and runs fine.
7. I've replaced the fuel filter but no change.

Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 19th, 2012, 01:16 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Is the ignition module on the distributor? Mine did something similar to this and it was the ignition module had gone weak. The other thing to check is that the silver relays click.

Anyway, there are a bunch of no start threads I have posted in, I would search for those for the diag procedures. It is probably something minor.
Old January 19th, 2012, 01:26 PM
Mpigapicha
phil
1995 Defender D90

I had same exact issue, on/ off. Like Ron said, ignition module. I have Mallory which is inside.
I also changed wires, plugs, 02 sensors, ignition coil & fuel filter..... unfortunately I can't pinpoint which one did it but I no longer have the no-start issue. But was same thing, after driving, running errands would come out & not start; for minutes to hours till restart......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 19th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Marvin
Marvin Boyd
1994/Defender

Thanks...This will help with some starting points to check. Where's the best one-stop-shop for buying D-90 parts?
Old January 19th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Mpigapicha
phil
1995 Defender D90

rockauto, british atlantic, roversnorth to name few..... google & shop around, sometimes better deals elsewhere. Cables I upgraded to magnecor, i think i put in 7.5 or 8mm. Well worth it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d-90, problems, start, starting