D-90 Restoration / Rust Removal - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 26th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

D-90 Restoration / Rust Removal

I have found a great guy in the Maryland area to help me with my Defender 90. I found him through a couple of contacts that I knew who had restored Land Rovers, or owned older Land Rovers.

His name is Gary Landes. His company is Rover Works: 410-737-0647

There was starting to be quite a bit of rust on particularly the back of my chassis and rear cross member of my Defender. I knew that the rust on the truck was not getting any better, and eventually it was going to be a very costly problem (perhaps requiring a swapping of the chassis anyone in my situation has probably already done some research on this, and knows it is very expensive). If I was going to save my existing chassis back end - I knew I needed to find someone to replace the rust with new steel - but I had no idea where to turn.

Gary had an active Land Rover only shop in Ellicott City for about 10 years til the mid 90s, and had been working on Rovers as a hobby for over 35 years before and after that. In his shop he worked on Rover Restoration, and daily mechanical needs. He is a welder as well.

Gary did a fantastic job, at a very fair price, on the rust restoration of my Defender. He is SO knowledgeable about these trucks and Land Rover. The rust in my cross member was removed, neat holes cut out, and new steel welded in. You can see the new steel (as he told me you would be able too - but they are not that obvious). He said that he welded enough new steel into the cross member that it is at least as strong as it was when it was new, in his opinion. He has also put quite a bit of paint, and rust preventative treatment on the chassis.

He said the rest of the chassis is in excellent shape (once he got past the back end moving forward). There is a center cross member, or spreader, that he wants to address in the future (but the muffler will have to be dropped to do so - and it can wait a bit).

Also - my front brush bar (mounted on top the bumper - which is in good shape) is literally rusting apart - it will hold up for a while - but it was not worth his time to try to fix. It is even broken apart in one place. It is time for a new one. I am going to start looking for a new brush bar..........

Gary was so reasonable and more then fair for what he did. There was more rust than what he bargained for once he got started. He spent about 2 weeks on the truck and went over everything. The rust repair throughout the chassis, rear cross member repair, mounting new sidesteps, foot-well repair, third brake light repair (mine was falling off and would produce a shower of rust each time I shut the rear door), lamp guard repair, oiling the chassis, etc - was about $675.

He can also do all kinds of maintenance on Rovers. He had to drop the gas tank for the rust repair. He found that the sender unit had a pinhole leak. There was sand on the top of my tank from a past adventure. I inspected the rusty fittings on my sender unit myself.......I rubbed my finger in the sand and smelled the gas. I feel lucky..............My bill came to a bit higher as he had to replace this sender unit - but he had the bill completely itemized.

I am very happy that I have had this work done on the truck. I feel that I have a much better idea of the condition of the truck below me. My truck has always lived outdoors it is beyond being cosmetically perfect but I am an original owner, and today it looks better then it has for many, many years. I feel like Gary is going to teach me how to better take car of the D-90, and may have saved my truck's life.

I will attach some before pictures of my truck on this message. The next post will be pictures when the truck is still jacked up, but most of the restoration is done. If it ever stops raining in Maryland I will have to take some additional pictures of the truck, home in my driveway.

For anyone that needs a new place for routine service, or help with their chassis or rust, I would highly recommend Rover Works. I REALLY liked Gary. He was very knowledgeable, full of old rover stories, and very passionate about Rovers.

He is actually trying to once again get Rover Works going as a full time business......He can do all kinds of routine maintenance and I know I will be going back to him..........

Send me a private message if additional information is needed or if you want to stop by my house and see the work in person. I am right off I-95 in Columbia.

Flagg

Follow-up Post:

Once again - this is not when the truck is quite done. The truck is still on Jack Stands. The restored thrird break light and rear lamp guards are not on. Etc.

It has been raining in Maryland for Days - and I wanted to post some starting pictures. More pictures will come of the truck home in my driveway, when it drys up.

Hope some of you are able to use Rover Works for some service.........Flagg.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	before1.jpg
Views:	565
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	10807   Click image for larger version

Name:	before2.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	10808  

Name:	before3.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	10809   Click image for larger version

Name:	before4.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	10810  

Name:	before5.jpg
Views:	525
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	10811   Click image for larger version

Name:	after1.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	10812  

Name:	after2.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	10813   Click image for larger version

Name:	after3.jpg
Views:	573
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	10814  

Name:	after4.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	10815   Click image for larger version

Name:	after5.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	10816  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 26th, 2007, 10:13 PM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
Gary Landes

Holy cow. That's a blast from the past. Gary did a ton of work on my '61 Series II back in 1990. He does do excellent work. Tell him the guy from Colorado with "The Elephant Catcher" says hello.
Old October 26th, 2007, 11:23 PM
DaineseUSA
Michael Pham
97 d90 SW #0273

Wow! Seeing those 1st pictures really makes me grateful that I'm in Southern California..he he

Great work though; the price seems very fair for the xlnt work performed.

M>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 26th, 2007, 11:40 PM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

Thanks for the tip! I need a good mechanic in the area who's not afraid of Land Rover, for those things that will come up that I can't figure out.
Old October 28th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

It was just pointed out to me that I did not say where Gary was. He is in Arbutus Maryland. Very close to I-95.

-------------------------------------------

John - How cool that he works on your truck. I will definitly tell him that the "Elephant Catcher" in in Colorado says "hi"!

Michael - yes - being outside and the salt they put down in the winter takes its toll. Plus I have had it on the beach several times. I envy you and your weather!

Emerson - He really believes that land Rovers are not "disposable" vehicles ever. They need to be cared for, parts replaced as needed, parts repaired as needed, and kept on the road. Places I went wanted to strictly REPLACE parts. No one would touch my rear cross member in any other way, before I met Gary..............

Thanks for all your imput.

Flagg
Old October 28th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

was the crossmember patched or replaced with a new unit?
Old October 28th, 2007, 02:09 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

It looks patched, personally, I would have replaced it, but it looks like he did a nice job on the patching.

Ron
Old October 28th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Jeff - the cross memeber was patched. Gary thought that there was enough good steel left in it that he could patch it way more economically then replacing it. He told me I would see the patches......he could do either. My truck has always been outdoors...........it is not cosmetically perfect...........I took the economic way.

I don't mind how it looks now - kind of fits the truck. It looks a hell of a lot better than it did........Matter of fact when I get the new front brush bar the truck is going to start looking pretty good again

Flagg
Old October 28th, 2007, 11:55 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Glad to see you show your truck some love Flagg. That repair should buy you some time. I am glad you found someone to help you out. Looks like he did a good job for you.

Jim Pendleton

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old October 29th, 2007, 07:26 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Especially for this area, that's insanely cheap. Someone on the board from the area just paid that much for labor to have their fuel tank dropped and the fuel pump replaced.

charles
Old October 31st, 2007, 12:31 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
blast indeed

The guy is somewhat of a legend. He is well known in the area by those who have been playing LR's for a while. I met Gary when i was looking for my first truck back in 95. I bought my 88's frame from him and an old warn winch. He always had the deals, and colorful conversation too. He is a character and certainly has more than a bit of experience and knowledge. IIRC, he lost his workspace in the mid or late 90's. Rumor is that alot of his Series LR stuff got bulldozed along with the old house. Not hard to believe considering how much was there. I have only heard of him sporadically since. Glad to see he is still taking on LR work and hope he is doing well.

Oh, and tell him to start charging more. He is ripping himself off.

best
dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61rover
Holy cow. That's a blast from the past. Gary did a ton of work on my '61 Series II back in 1990. He does do excellent work. Tell him the guy from Colorado with "The Elephant Catcher" says hello.
Old November 1st, 2007, 02:55 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

More Pictures

Here is another dramatic before and after. I am going to post a before and after of my 3rd break light on another message - because I feel that there may be a number of people interested in that who have skipped this full restoration message........

I have also included some shots of my truck now. My D-90 looks better, and is in better condition, then it has been for years.

Flagg
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	before5.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	10908   Click image for larger version

Name:	Under.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	10909  

Name:	Side.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	10910   Click image for larger version

Name:	Back.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	10911  

Old November 1st, 2007, 11:04 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Thumbs up

Flagg,

Looks Great! Damn, those are some nice look'n sidesteps...lol

Cheers...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 1st, 2007, 11:46 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Mike,

Thanks - you know your contribution to how good the truck looks now

Flagg
Old November 13th, 2007, 10:24 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
L/R 90 resto

After reading about Gary, and the Job he's done for others, I decided to drop my truck at his place before even bringing it home to Long Isalnd, NY.
Drove the Truck from Atlanta to Garys in Baltimore, didn't want to leave it, but knew it was in good hands. Picking up the truck this weekend, I'll post some before and after pics as soon as I pick it up.
Tom
Gary's Site: http://www.landrovermd.com
Old November 13th, 2007, 10:43 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Tom,

Gary's site looks great - that featured D-90 job looks familiar

Can't wait to see the pictures of your truck before and after. I was over at Garys last weekend with a friend that just bought a 1951 Series I. Very cool truck. We drove it over to show Gary.........

I saw your truck with my own eyes - VERY cool Defender! Gary showed me some before pictures.....And I have seen the "after" of the back end in person. I think you will be happy He said he was planning to still work on other parts of it all week.

It was very cool comparing the Euro Defender to my own. For instance - the gas tank is in a completely different area............How large is your tank? I might look for a folding rear step like yours.........

Can't wait to see the after shots........Thanks for helping to premote Gary. HE is a great guy and could probably help many of the people on this page.....

Flagg
Old March 12th, 2012, 10:53 AM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

Is Gary still working on Land Rovers?
Old March 12th, 2012, 03:21 PM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

I'd love to find someone like that here in Chicagoland.
Old March 13th, 2012, 10:29 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Totally. Serviced mine last Fall.......

Flagg
Old March 13th, 2012, 11:10 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
This is actually good to know...are his prices still that cheap ?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d-90, restoration