D-90 Radio Codes ...arghhhh!! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 12th, 2006, 05:02 PM
pmd
Paul Dandini
None :-(

D-90 Radio Codes ...arghhhh!!

I was doing some work on my D90 this past week and had to disconnect the power.
I knew the radio would need a code so last week I contacted Land Rover America via e-mail and was able to obtain the code for my radio via my Vin#. I thought great - no brainer - type in the code and I'd have my radio back.
Not the case - code did not work - I let a day go by and pressed the BND button for the CODE IN prompt and it still did not work, I pulled the radio out and discovered it was "Remanufactured" I wrote down the serial number and again contacted L.R. America - They gave me a new code and this one does not work either (this is the "arghhh!!" part).

Any advice ?

Any suggestions on a new radio if I have to go that route - I have a 6disc changer that I'd like make work.

If I do have to go the new radio route is it a big deal? Can the existing plugs and amp work with the radios in todays market?

Thanks in advance.
Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 12th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Defender13
Mike Lynch
1994 Defender 90 #1017

Is it CD or tape? Is your changer a Land Rover changer?
Old May 12th, 2006, 05:09 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Two things...

See if you could track down the previous owner, the LR dealer may have their information on file. You could also post the info here, maybe someone know the PO.

Or, I think there are only a few companies that remanufacture the radio's contact them, maybe there is a way they can look it up.

Second, use a hammer. :-)

Scott

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 12th, 2006, 05:27 PM
pmd
Paul Dandini

Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90
Two things...

Second, use a hammer. :-)

Scott
A Hammer is sounding like an option .

The radio is the standard Factory cassette radio just like in the 97 Owners Manual.
The 6 disc CD chander is a newer Clarion (PO bought it about a year ago +/-).
I contacted the Land Rover Dealer/Service center that the PO has worked with and they had the old code on file.

Thanks for responding..
Old May 12th, 2006, 08:30 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

John at www.roverville.us should be able to answer any radio/stereo questions.

He's a great guy. He's got a strange English/Arkansas accent though.
Old May 12th, 2006, 11:43 PM
Oxcart13
Mark M
D110

I had a similar problem with my truck - radio not original to the truck. I ended up finding the right code, but after exceeded three attempts to get the incorrect orginal code to work. I did a little more research and found that after three attempts you have to leave the radio powered up for 30 or 60 minutes (can't remember exactly) in order for the head unit to give you the CODE IN prompt again. Might be something to consider. HTH. Mark
Old May 15th, 2006, 04:29 PM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

Also, some times the radio does not "reset" properly when you re-attach the power. It won't accept the code in this case. It is necessary to disconnect power, wait a while (20-30 seconds), and re-connect.
Old May 15th, 2006, 04:53 PM
pmd
Paul Dandini

Well - I tried several different ways - disconnect power - retry, wait 60+ mins retry, wait 24 hours retry.

Decided to upgrade to a new receiver - anyone need a Clarion DC625 6disc CD changer w/ cable?

Now I just need to work on the feedback noise issues I am getting thru the speakers - I'll rejump that post..

Thanks for your input..
Paul
Old May 15th, 2006, 04:58 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Well I had fried my radio by spilling coffee into the tape deck...to repair it would have been more expensive. Then I bought one on ebay with the understanding that the seller would provide the vin#. He didn't in the end, and I had to
return the "new radio". I then decided to get an Alpine. I got a conversion harness from the UK. I had to hard wire the conversion head to the car wires. A little bit of a hassle but got it done, and the Alpine CD unit is a HUGE upgrade to the original radio.
Old May 15th, 2006, 05:45 PM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewap
the Alpine CD unit is a HUGE upgrade to the original radio.
Yea, but do you get the weather band?
Old May 15th, 2006, 06:51 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

radios

For the 1994-1995 NAS D90 you can use a VW/Mazda wiring adaptor (clutchfiedl.com) to avoid cutting the factory harness. You have to change a couple of the pins around but it works without cutting.
In the 1997 NAS D90 you have to cut the harness.

You can get radio codes from the serial # on the radio itself, so even if a guy doesn't give you a VIN of the car it came out of you can still get the radio code.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old May 16th, 2006, 10:22 AM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

If your truck has ever been serviced by the dealer, the invoice should have the radio code printed on the top of the page. Assuming that you kept one.
Old May 16th, 2006, 09:30 PM
48vphantom
Jeff Hoien
1997 NAS D90

Paul, you should contact John at http://www.roverville.us/ as stated earlier. I think he was buying those clarion radios from peoplef for his business.
jeff
Old May 17th, 2006, 06:28 PM
pmd
Paul Dandini

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48vphantom
Paul, you should contact John at http://www.roverville.us/ as stated earlier. I think he was buying those clarion radios from peoplef for his business.
jeff
Thanks - I will...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d-90, radio