D-90 Noisy Brakes - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 9th, 2010, 09:54 PM
JKC
John
1997 D-90

D-90 Noisy Brakes

Please help. A little over year ago I replaced my rear rotors, calipers, and pads. The new rotors are the drilled type and supposed to give better performance. Shortly after the install I began getting an awful brake noise coming from the right rear wheel. I was told it would go away but it went on for (6) months. Finally we decided that it was the after market brake pads that were installed so I purchased a set of Genuine LR ones ($). Soon after the swap those too began to squeal (same rear wheel). After dealing with those for additional 6 months I had them taken off last weekend. They were worn uneven. We took off the rotors and had them cut and found out that the right rear rotor was definitely not straight and it took a couple passes to correct. I installed new EBC pads that are supposed to be a bit softer and have no squeal. Its been 2 days and the squeal is back from the same rear wheel. It only happens at slow speeds (1-10 mph) but its really loud and you can hear the squeal go up and down as the wheel goes round. Could it still be the rotor even though it was just cut - should I replace those as my next step? Could it be the caliper or something in the axle causing it to squeal? I feel as though I'm throwing money away at this problem with no results from my mechanic. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long post.
-John
1997 D-90
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 10th, 2010, 03:18 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Step one would be to put the silicone anti-squeal on the pad backing since that is cheap to do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old November 10th, 2010, 03:27 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

x2 on the anti-squeal.

Another thing you can do is find a large, empty, parking lot, and drive in reverse while pumping the brakes. Pump them hard enough to really slow the truck, but keep the momentum going with the gas pedal. Basically, just do a little brake/throttle modulation. This will de-glaze the pads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 10th, 2010, 03:28 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Is the caliper functioning properly? When you installed the EBC (Green I assume) pads did you put the sticky rubber pad on?

Did you put new springs on the new pins?

------ Follow up post added November 10th, 2010 03:30 PM ------

Also: Did you follow the break in procedure for the EBC pads?
Old November 10th, 2010, 10:10 PM
JKC
John
1997 D-90

Thanks for all the suggestions. Yes, have tried the anti squeal spray on the first 2 sets. The latest set (3rd one) from EBC (the green ones) has a full stick-on damping pad on the back. New pins and springs were installed with each set. The caliper appears to function normally. Will try the reverse/brake procedure and let you know. But am a little doubtful b/c I am on the 3rd set of different brand pads and the previous 2 sets had lots of miles put on them and still retained the squeal. The sound is identical right after changing pads with about7,000 miles on them to the brand new ones. I don't think its a matter of "break in" but more of a problem coming from something that is not functioning properly.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, brake, d-90