D 90 newbie - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 10th, 2008, 09:23 PM
DieselVol
Van Bingham
none

D 90 newbie

New to the website. Been lurking and gathering information for a while. I've wanted a D 90 for nearly 15 years since I first walked into one on campus. I had no idea what it was, but I sure wanted one. My research lead me to the sticker price, and the realization the with 2 years of medical school, 5 years of residency and a lot of bills from the above to go, my Defender was a long way off. The time has finally arrived, but I need advice. The wifely approval depends on an auto, so I'm limited to a '97. What do I need to look for or avoid? This will not be a show car. I'll use it offroad, hunting and such. However, I clean my F-250 from stem to stern when I get back, so a junker won't get it either. Being from the south, I'm not used to rust and don't want to start now. Are these prone to rust? There is just about nothing that you can come up with that I will already know, so tell me what ever you think I need to know before I start my hunt in earnest. From my limited experience on this forum, I've found it to be among the most informative of the special interest sites I've seen. Thanks in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 10th, 2008, 09:52 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Forget the wife she wont like it anyways. If YOU want a manual then get a 95 with the 5 speed. Rust is the biggest issue. The main question is how much do you want to spend. Softtop or station wagon? How much money do you want to spend? Im not sure they are prone to rust its just that most are 11 years old so its an issue. Theres a 95 listed on this site that is pretty sweet.
Old February 11th, 2008, 04:31 PM
DieselVol
Van Bingham
none

Good point on the wife issue, and good question on the top issue. Since I'll be out on the farm in the dust, I think the SW is a better option as it should be less likely to get filled with dust. I'm guessing the ST's would let a ton of dust in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 11th, 2008, 04:35 PM
AggieD90
Kevin Collins
'95 AA Yellow & '97 Willow Green

LOL...I never considered my SW to be "air tight" though.

+1 on the manual transmission. Get what you want. My better half doesn't know how nor is interested in learning to drive it...which is fine with me
Old February 11th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Welcome Van. I am sure others will chime in with more detail, but usually rust is limited to the frame, bulkhead, and areas around door seams. Any truck that has avoided salt roads and has been garaged most of it's life should be pretty good in the rust area. As stated before, the $$$ you want to spend will determine the condition of the truck you will end up with. For some good research and general knowledge you must check out Mike Smith's site at East Coast Rovers http://www.eastcoastrover.com Again, welcome. You will not find any better info on North American Defenders than here!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d 90