D-90 3rd seat up front ?Possible - How? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 26th, 2004, 02:01 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

D-90 3rd seat up front ?Possible - How?

I have to get a third seat into my 1994 ST D-90. (Well would like to.)
I am thinking of a 3rd upfront seat. Removing the center con., putting the radio in the dash.
I did a search and found little on this other than an April 13th thread on child safety and a Jeep bench seat being installed (Sean could not get a D-90 bench and afterthe last ebay run at +$400 no way).
So, can a 3rd seat go in?
Does anyone have this set up? Is it practicle?
More than likely, the child seat would be attached to this middle 3rd seat. As such, A VERY SOLID CONNECTION is a must.

Let me add, it is not often that the familiy of 3 ride together in the D-90 but it would be nice.

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 26th, 2004, 02:41 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

So, you want:

1. a seat the width of the cubby box

2. right in the path of the shifter

3. to put a small child in a child seat

You don't see anything wrong with all of these?!
Old October 26th, 2004, 02:54 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Paul I think I may have seen some pics of UK trucks set up with a thrid seat, they are not very useful and I think they attched to the bulkhead between the front and the rear, NAS D-90s don't have the bulhead.

Why not buy 1 Jump seat for the back?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 26th, 2004, 03:07 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

I would say try to poke around some more for a D90 rear bench seat and see what you turn up. I may even sell mine which is not in great shape but still was working fine when I pulled it out. Just have to remember where I stashed all the parts.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old October 26th, 2004, 04:43 PM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

most if not all 90's and 110's come with the middle seat in the UK
then they are ripped out because they are a waste of space
if you want one try
ebay.co.uk
Old October 26th, 2004, 05:43 PM
DaveHuny
Van Der Waal
none

I have 2 of these forward facing folding rear seats in the rear. Seems as sturdy as the bench and easier to get out of the bed. They were already installed by the PO so I don't know if he got them right from the UK or if there is a distributor here.

http://www.exmoortrim.co.uk/extra%20seats.htm

Dave
Old October 26th, 2004, 05:59 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I once saw a truck for sale that had one of those seats, reminds me of the disco II kinda
Old October 26th, 2004, 06:18 PM
DaveHuny
Van Der Waal
none

I really like them - they're more comfy than the bench and you have more leg room. The seat is a bit short from front to back, so it's probably not the best spot for a car seat, but we just put the car seat in the front and the adults in the back.
Old October 26th, 2004, 06:46 PM
tim
Timothy Homewood
Defender 50th going topless

Ok, yes.. not so usefull and not so comfortable...usually more for the wife's handbag rather than anything live, For series rigs, the center seat was supported by a bulkhead on the utility versions and by a tubular bar on the station wagon... since then it seems to be still avaliable for those who really want it on a defender - in a self supporting version...I believe you will find one at 'roversland inc. on e-bay'(USA and $120). tim

Follow-up Post:

And whilst if at it....roversland on e-bay have a center seat fpr 99 bucks..tim
Old October 27th, 2004, 12:03 AM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Thanks,
After the bit by Art M - put it that way my idea really did seem like a silly idea - you have given me something to work on. Art, to your comments - all valid - its a space issue vs safety. I've seen 3 seats across so I know they fit. Yes I am concerned about legs/ feet in the way of the stick, but this is for street use only. As such, I thought to offset the middle seat - have it back and maybe proud by a 4-6 inches. Ultimately if I do not like the final design as safe for the little one - scrapped.
The exmoorland link - excellent. I will have to go through those pages. But one question - are there any seats for the rear that fold flat - i.e. do not come above the tub wall? They all fold up and I would like one that folded down.
Old October 27th, 2004, 07:50 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

The rear bench seat folds down under the the tub level. It will also fold up forward so you can make use of the space by the rear tailgate.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old October 27th, 2004, 09:20 AM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

paul,
i have a middle seat in my d90.
actually its the center console out of a ford taurus.
I replace my original d90 seats with heated power leather seat from a Bravada.
I relocated the radio to the dash.
When I off road my 9 year old daughter sits in the passanger side as the wife doesnt come on these little adventures.
I only use the middle seat for limited use and the shifting isnt much of a problem.
Once you drive with 6 people in a MGB its all easy.
Let me know if you want some pics
ron
Old October 27th, 2004, 07:29 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Ron,
I'll take the photos.
Email is:
pjb2003consults@aol.com
Old October 28th, 2004, 12:31 PM
KeithD
Keith Duckett
90 V8 Import

Registry
My 90 came with a centre box fitted but the owner also had a middle seat and sold it loose with the vehicle. I wanted it as I considered it safer for my children than the sideways facing rear seats that my Defender had/has. The seat simply bolted to the floor - although my truck has a bulkhead the middle seat does not use it. It came with a lap belt too. I have used it for adults on several occasions and it's not as bad as you'd think, and changing gear isnt that problematical. I don't think putting a child seat there would be a problem either, though with some creativity why not make something specifically to support the child seat? The other handy thing about the middle seat is I can let my kids drive the 90 (off road of course) with me sitting in the middle seat in the ideal position to take over if/when needed. I can also control the clutch for them if necessary (ah - only as mine is right hand drive!).
Old October 28th, 2004, 01:44 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Keith,
Can you take a phot of the set up. I figure to be a ble to get the seat via RN / AB ?R dwn south, etc but am curious on the attachments to the floor. As a fixed center seat (it does not need to slide back/forward) bolting to the floor should be straight up. As my little one is 5 years old (44" tall & 44Lbs) I can go with either a child seat or booster. Criteria are safety, safety, lateral support and harnessing. All child seats come with a top strap so that will get bolted down.
Old October 28th, 2004, 04:07 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Here you go: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
Old October 28th, 2004, 06:45 PM
KeithD
Keith Duckett
90 V8 Import

Registry
I can't get a photo done immediately - no digicam, but I'll ask a friend when I can. Or take some with my 35mm (just got a new roll in it!) and wait for that. But from memory it was simply four bolts through the floor, there is no sliding arrangement or anything and the seat is one solid thing - it does not recline eg. Beware it is possible that NAS90s and mine have differences - hang on I'll go and have a look at it....

Follow-up Post:

As I thought four bolts - but they appear to connect the seat frame to mountings already attached to the seat platform, the bolts going right through and the nut being on the underside of the platform. Looks that way anyway - without taking it all apart it is hard to see, and I don't think photos are going to help. I also looked to see where the seat belt anchorages are and cant make that out clearly either. Sorry - best I can do - the thing is sitting outside on snow and ice right now!

Follow-up Post:

Just looked at the Ebay picture - mine is the same (fabric apart).
Old October 28th, 2004, 07:26 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Dave, Keith
Thanks. That is enough to go on.
Cute little thing, but I must say, that seat color in the Ebay pix - ouch!
Silly thing, I once worked in Birmingham for 2 years which is where the seller is.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d-90