D-110 Window Grilles and Rear AC - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 20th, 2006, 11:36 PM
3rovers
Dennis Yard
1993 NAS D-110 #55

Exclamation D-110 Window Grilles and Rear AC

Gentlemen and Gentlewomen,

I am pleased to be the latest owner of D-110 #55.

Since I intend to have my dogs frequently in the truck, I need to find some grilles to go over the rear side windows or try to find an aftermarket (or genuine LT optional) rear AC unit to keep them cooler.

Any leads out there on either or both?

Dennis Yard
San Diego

1993 D-110 #55
1995 D-90 #58
1995 Disco
2002 Freelander
2004 Disco II
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2006, 11:38 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
RDS may still have a rear AC - there was one there last time I was down there. I think RN sells the Mantec window grills.
Old May 21st, 2006, 12:52 PM
roverboy
Thomas
Booger

RDS does indeed have the rear A/C units. I spoke to him about it just the other day. Call him. George rules, by the way.
Advertisement

Old May 21st, 2006, 08:42 PM
3rovers
Dennis Yard
1993 NAS D-110 #55

Jim and Tom,

Excellent leads - will call George at Rovers Down South this week to get the details.

I see by his website that he has other things of 110 interest as well.

Dennis
Old May 22nd, 2006, 11:17 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Note on the rear AC.
The kit is nice but it is originally made for the Euro 110 style AC systems. The unit does bolt into an NAS 110 without much issue, but the hoses supplied are metric and the AC hoes in your NAS 110 are standard.

You'll need to come up with a way to T into the standard lines and mate them to the metric hoses that plug into the rear AC unit.

The lines are not a "bolt in". It can be done but you need to be ready for it when you are about to tackle the job.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 09:38 PM
3rovers
Dennis Yard
1993 NAS D-110 #55

Mike,

Excellent help. Thank you for the tip.

Another avenue may be installation of a generic aftermarket kit by a local AC expert. I have checked in with one here in San Diego and they say its about a $2K job. They figure to have a selection of units available to them. This meaning a condenser section which might fit under the middle seats or in the overhead.

Do you know if the Genuine condenser fits in the space where one or more of the inward facing seats are mounted? I would like to know what space it takes up in the back or where there is a picture of one.

BTW, I enjoy your website = lots can be learned from it. (As well as envy of the deep pockets some have to modernized their rigs.)

Cheers,
Dennis Yard
LR Club of San Diego

Follow-up Post:

Gentlemen,

I called RDS and confirmed that they do not have any Genuine kits in stock at the moment, but expect some in June.

Cheers,
Dennis Yard
Old May 23rd, 2006, 09:41 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Genuine kit is cool, it mounts to the ceiling in the very back.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 09:52 PM
3rovers
Dennis Yard
1993 NAS D-110 #55

Jim,

What's the chance of a picture or place to view a unit?

Dennis
Old May 23rd, 2006, 10:30 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Here's a pic of it.

My plan was to remove the front AC form the 90, fit it into the 110 and use the rear AC only in the 90 - giving me more legroom in the 90.

Well, I picked up a Tdi AC for the 110 and later found a rear setup for cheap. Still haven't installed it (new in box).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RearAC_sm.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	5706  
Old May 23rd, 2006, 11:07 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by artm
Here's a pic of it.

My plan was to remove the front AC form the 90, fit it into the 110 and use the rear AC only in the 90 - giving me more legroom in the 90.

Well, I picked up a Tdi AC for the 110 and later found a rear setup for cheap. Still haven't installed it (new in box).
That's a unique idea Art. How were you going to control the rear from the front of the 90? Make your own switch?
Old May 23rd, 2006, 11:16 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Yep. just blank of fthe rear switch and move it up front.

As long as the capacity of the rear unit is sufficient it should be fine.

p.s. Note in the pic above that one of the window trims is replaced and used as a tube for the airflow to the top vents. One on the left in pic.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 11:23 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I thought the rear AC required the use of the front AC. I havent looked at the parts, but George was mentioned at one time that that wasnt a workable set up. Maybe you just have to be really motivated.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 11:37 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Really, I spoke with George when I bought the front setup from him and I don't recall his mentioning that. It's been a while since I looked at the box of goodies but it has its own evaporator and blower. Condenser, compressor and dryer from the front setup and that should do it, right?
Old May 24th, 2006, 01:16 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Are the controls totally separate? The lines would have to be fabbed for sure. Maybe he's revised his estimate of the situation since we talked. Maybe he was just filling my head with crap - he likes to do that sometimes
Old May 24th, 2006, 02:03 AM
Hoss
Jeff Sturgis
1995/D-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rovers

I am pleased to be the latest owner of D-110 #55.
Nice score on the Jr. Seau stamped 110. Looks like you are trying to corner the San Diego market with #50 series Defenders.

You might want to call Jim at The Rover Group to see if his D-110 has the rear air conditioning installed so you can see it in person. I do not remember if it had it or not, but it would at least be worth a call.

Cheers,

Jeff
Old May 24th, 2006, 09:50 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

OK, I didn't have time to read the entire thing so I may duplicate some (sorry if I do) but here goes...

Stick with the rear AC from Elite (sold by various places including RDS). Anything else will really make a hodge-podge of your 110 in my opinion and this rear AC will increase your 110s value, anything else will drop the value.

It can be fitted to an NAS 110 without any real issues, other than the need to make some custom connections as I stated in the previous email.

Rear AC is dependant on front AC. It works with the same front compressor, condensor and such. You just T into in. It has its own evap and thermostat, but other than that it depends on the front system. It won't activate unless the front system is running.

The switch is in the back and that sucks. It is glued in, bt can be removed and relocated to the front. We just did this this week and I will post pix to the ECR site in the next few days.

Rear AC install images can be seen here.
http://www.eastcoastrover.com/93.html

The evaporator and such will not fit in the rear wheelwell of a 90. The tire would hit it on compresion.

If you have a newer non NAS 110 the system is easier to install as the line/hose issue is not a problem with anything but the odd-ball NAS 110 AC system.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by artm
p.s. Note in the pic above that one of the window trims is replaced and used as a tube for the airflow to the top vents. One on the left in pic.
Also note that picture is a mirror image of the Elite brochure. Flipped in photoshop or something.
The rear AC duct goes up the LH side of the 110, not the RH side of the vehicle. (see that the wiper, plate and such are mirror image in the picture).

Follow-up Post:

Rear AC switch relcoation images posted:

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/93phase3.html

Old May 24th, 2006, 11:19 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Yes, I noted that you need a condenser, compressor, dryer. With the blower, evap from the rear unit only you should have a full system.

You may be able to fit the evap in the wheelwell but part of it (maybe a good part) would be inside the truck; or you can lose one of the rear seats and probably fit it better. It's been a while since I actually looked at the parts so going from memory here.

As for the switch, in a 90 I would relocate it in the front and blank the rear; In the 110, assuming you're keeping the front system, I would leave it intact and wire it to work with another switch placed in the front - selectable control from the driver or rear passenger. A little overkill but nicer - gives the kids something to do back there!

I never considered just the rear for the 110 but, again, if the capacity is there, why not? More legroom and less noise up front.
Old May 24th, 2006, 12:48 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

The systems don't put out enough to cool an entire 90 or 110.
Its a nice "booster" but when you look at the size of the evaporator and the strength of the blower... it wouldn't do a car by itself, especially as far away from the driver and passenger as it would be.
Its a nice addition to help the folks (or dogs) out back, but it can't replace the main system.

Old May 24th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
The systems don't put out enough to cool an entire 90 or 110.
Its a nice "booster" but when you look at the size of the evaporator and the strength of the blower... it wouldn't do a car by itself, especially as far away from the driver and passenger as it would be.
Its a nice addition to help the folks (or dogs) out back, but it can't replace the main system.
Were my 90 a wagon, I would certainly put one of these in. Your description of the system is what I imagined. But hey, if got rid of that heat wave eminating from the roof panel, that alone would be a tru relief. During the months of July and August, you really could use a cool suit - especially when stuck in traffic.

By the way, have you seen the interior insulation pieces offered by Trim Technology? I'm about to spring for the front and rear roof panel sections. Even if they don't fit perfectly in an NAS, I'm sure something can be modified.

They are listed under the accessories section.

www.trim-technology.com
Old May 24th, 2006, 01:20 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragland
Were my 90 a wagon, I would certainly put one of these in. Your description of the system is what I imagined. But hey, if got rid of that heat wave eminating from the roof panel, that alone would be a tru relief. During the months of July and August, you really could use a cool suit - especially when stuck in traffic.
Has anybody tried dyna-mat or other insulation on the inside of the roof? Or maybe fabricate a "tropical top" for a D90 like the SIIAs had?
I live in Maine... we don't have to worry about AC execpt for about 1 week in August.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, ac, d-110, window