D 110 shoe size - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 14th, 2014, 03:59 AM
OZARKTOAD
Bachmann
None...yet

D 110 shoe size

What is the optimum tire size on steel wheels for a 110? Taking into account it would have a recent susp. Upgrade to OME hd front and med back? Optimum for dd handling and occasional offroad camping trips. Was looking at 235, 265/75, or 255/85. Will eventually have an om617 conversion...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 14th, 2014, 07:07 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
235/85
Old May 14th, 2014, 07:36 AM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
What size steelies? I'd go no bigger than 235 on 5.5 inch wide wheels. I would recommend 255 if your wheels can support it. See my registry - that's OME HD front, MD rear. 255/85 km2 on wolfs

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 14th, 2014, 08:25 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
It all depends on what you are doing with the truck, were you live and the "look" you have in your minds eye for your truck. I run 33x12.5-15s but I live in Florida where flotation is your friend and clearance is critical, besides I like how they look on my truck. If I lived in NC I might go 255/85R16s BFGs or Toyos on Wolfs. It all depends.
Old May 14th, 2014, 10:17 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
It all depends on what you are doing with the truck, were you live and the "look" you have in your minds eye for your truck. I run 33x12.5-15s but I live in Florida where flotation is your friend and clearance is critical, besides I like how they look on my truck. If I lived in NC I might go 255/85R16s BFGs or Toyos on Wolfs. It all depends.
Exactly what Daddymow said.
I'll add that I have used the standard ROW size of 235 width "skinnies" on my old 110 and that is the proper tire size for the correct "vintage" look. Also I was using BFG KM2 mud terrains and they had a nice bite in the trails but were miserable on the beach sand. These are also not the greatest on the highway and seem to exacerbate the ROW 110's tendancy to sway and wander at speed. No anti-roll bar, tall sidewall and spongy springs were all factors. These attributes are great for trails, not so much for highway.

I now run NAS-spec or D-130 steelies which can accomodate a larger width, but even when I had my Wolf wheels I was running 265 width KM1 Mud Terrans on my current 110. THis 110 gets more road use than offroad use, so I switched to BF Goodrich All-Terrains and i chose an oddball size this time (275/70/16). Very stable at highway speeds and the overall diameter which is ever so slightly smaller (probably by 0.50") than OEM spec helps compensate for the tall gearing in my 1.22 transfer case so it lugs a bit less when encountering highway headwinds.

No spacing is needed for my current setup (275/70/16), but I think others have said that 285s require spacing at full opposite lock or full articulation, but others who run 285s can chime in on that.

Again, like Daddymow said, tell us what you're planning on doing and balance those needs with the proper tire (size and type).

EDIT: Actually after re-reading the original post, I'd have to suggest Wolf steelies with 265/75/16s, probably BFG All-Terrains. THis is based on the statement "Optimum for dd handling and occasional offroad camping trips". Camping trips generally involve a lot of highway driving to get to some remote campgrounds followed by mild trails, so Mud Terrains may sacrifice comfort, mileage, road noise for only a little off-roading. I'm also a big proponent of the dual shock setup in the ROW trucks if you're not running an anti-roll bar, although the stiffer OME ssupension may help with that as well. I gotta imagine that you'll be fully laden when going on your camping trips, so definitely consider a second set of rear shocks or anti roll bar.
Old May 14th, 2014, 11:10 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZARKTOAD View Post
What is the optimum tire size on steel wheels for a 110? Taking into account it would have a recent susp. Upgrade to OME hd front and med back? Optimum for dd handling and occasional offroad camping trips. Was looking at 235, 265/75, or 255/85. Will eventually have an om617 conversion...
Which steel wheels ? Widths range from 5.5 to 6.5.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 14th, 2014, 01:05 PM
RiftRover
Mike Barnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZARKTOAD View Post
I've got the same suspension setup and run 255/85 with wheel spacers. I think it's the perfect all around size for looks, clearance etc. The "Ozark" in your name makes me think you might not be far away, if so you are welcome to come see my truck if you want see what it looks like in person.
Old May 14th, 2014, 02:33 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

5.5 is as wide as I'd go with 235. 6.5 or 7 if you want to go with 255 or wider tires. Nigel, my build has 355/85 on stock alloys and they look narrow. But it might be the suspension lift and lack of eyebrows right now.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old May 14th, 2014, 11:23 PM
OZARKTOAD
Bachmann
None...yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Which steel wheels ? Widths range from 5.5 to 6.5.
6.5 rim

------ Follow up post added May 14th, 2014 10:25 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiftRover View Post
I've got the same suspension setup and run 255/85 with wheel spacers. I think it's the perfect all around size for looks, clearance etc. The "Ozark" in your name makes me think you might not be far away, if so you are welcome to come see my truck if you want see what it looks like in person.
I'm in the NW part. I'd love to see ur truck sometime! I really like the looks of the 255, however 235's ain't bad lookin either!

------ Follow up post added May 14th, 2014 10:28 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
Exactly what Daddymow said.
I'll add that I have used the standard ROW size of 235 width "skinnies" on my old 110 and that is the proper tire size for the correct "vintage" look. Also I was using BFG KM2 mud terrains and they had a nice bite in the trails but were miserable on the beach sand. These are also not the greatest on the highway and seem to exacerbate the ROW 110's tendancy to sway and wander at speed. No anti-roll bar, tall sidewall and spongy springs were all factors. These attributes are great for trails, not so much for highway.

I now run NAS-spec or D-130 steelies which can accomodate a larger width, but even when I had my Wolf wheels I was running 265 width KM1 Mud Terrans on my current 110. THis 110 gets more road use than offroad use, so I switched to BF Goodrich All-Terrains and i chose an oddball size this time (275/70/16). Very stable at highway speeds and the overall diameter which is ever so slightly smaller (probably by 0.50") than OEM spec helps compensate for the tall gearing in my 1.22 transfer case so it lugs a bit less when encountering highway headwinds.

No spacing is needed for my current setup (275/70/16), but I think others have said that 285s require spacing at full opposite lock or full articulation, but others who run 285s can chime in on that.

Again, like Daddymow said, tell us what you're planning on doing and balance those needs with the proper tire (size and type).

EDIT: Actually after re-reading the original post, I'd have to suggest Wolf steelies with 265/75/16s, probably BFG All-Terrains. THis is based on the statement "Optimum for dd handling and occasional offroad camping trips". Camping trips generally involve a lot of highway driving to get to some remote campgrounds followed by mild trails, so Mud Terrains may sacrifice comfort, mileage, road noise for only a little off-roading. I'm also a big proponent of the dual shock setup in the ROW trucks if you're not running an anti-roll bar, although the stiffer OME ssupension may help with that as well. I gotta imagine that you'll be fully laden when going on your camping trips, so definitely consider a second set of rear shocks or anti roll bar.
Thanks for the comprehensive input! Much appreciated. Anyone running toyo mt? How do they handle/wear?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags