D-110 3.9 to 4.6 L Conversion To Begin - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 15th, 2010, 10:56 PM
3rovers
Dennis Yard
1993 NAS D-110 #55

Well friends, life got in the way of fun and I wasn't able to get an update together until now.

Late on January 31st, we finished the engine assembly and installation. Overall things went well in getting it all together. it took two full days to do those last steps. All the parts fit just fine with only a poorly seated downpipe gasket to require loosening and retightening to look and sound good. No leaks anywhere so far. It took four (mostly) full weekends to break down and put back together.

It truly helps to have someone who has done it before there to guide the sequence of assembly and know where the tech manual pages have been updated to newer torque specs and part numbers. In a couple of cases, not putting in a bolt or nut or hose on at the right time means a teardown and redo. This is true of brackets on the block and head, as well as some power steeting pump and hoses.

Some of the overall month's time was spent on waiting for parts to arrive. This was becasue I failed to specify 2 day delivery on items ordered the Monday after discovering we needed them.

Note: I also introduced a lengthy delay on the last day when I broke the starter heat shield in trying to get it on the starter. I kept fighting it against the four or five wires that tie into the starter positive stud until I broke the fiber shield at the right angle corner. Since the heatshield is essential, we had to eventually cut out a stainless steel backbone and poprivet it to the heatshield material. Then it would slide on with that funky spring clip. Take your time with this one.

At this time i still have a "stumbling" on acceleration problem which I had a couple of years ago when I last tried the Mallory distributor. Back then I pulled it out and put the Lucas back in. Now that I put a new Mallory back in the truck, the problem is back. We'll have to take some time to look at it. This distributor is a new replacement for the last one, so the problem is not the specific distributor but its implementation or interface. I think I saw a thread elsewhere on this board that discussed this kind of problem.

Other than this issue, the truck runs great and strong. Oil pressure values did not change much... max pressure still shows up at just over 35ish PSI at speed and around 15 PSI at idle. I was hoping to see more "robust" numbers, but apparently that's what a rover V8 does. It has a new short block, new oil pump, and oil pickup so I know the pressure is a suitable value.

I haven't had it on the road long enough to get MPG figures yet. It was only last Friday that I got the flushing oil and filter changed to normal oil and a high grade filter. I haven't noticed any pinging with the 89 octane Chevron gas i use in all my trucks.

So far there haven't been any temperature issues; the re-cored four row radiator seems to do fine.

That's my report for now. More to come as i get the parts list together and get some mileage on it.

Cheers,
Dennis Yard
1993 NAS D-110 #55 (GNUTRUK)
2004 Disco II (DSCO DOG)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 1st, 2010, 03:52 PM
3rovers
Dennis Yard
1993 NAS D-110 #55

Since my last posting I've put a few miles on the new engine. Not as many as I would have liked, due to a persistent hesitation or stumbling problem.

Turns out some engine O-Scope evaluation showed two plug wires were bad. They had inconsistent and obviously different traces than the other wires. We replaced them with old spares and it smoothed right out. I went ahead and ordered new Magnecor 7 mm wires and new Champion plugs. While waiting for them to arrive, the problem recurred. It felt dodgy enough that I worried the truck would stay running at times.

This weekend the new wires arrived, and when installed, corrected the problem. Truck runs much smoother. I was blaming the Mallory Unilite distributor, but that is now out of the equation.
I haven't installed the new plugs yet. I wanted to isolate the problem with one change at a time.

With a little fiddling on the base idle, we should be good to go. It is a little rough on cold start up.

I'm still on the first tank of gas since reconstruction, but it does look like MPG suffered, as was expected. Now with it running correctly, we'll see if it improves.

All this has to align with the stars soon to get me through CA smog test.

BTW - engine oil pressure is about 20 lb at idle and 40ish at speed using 10W40 Valvoline dino oil.

Dennis
2004 Disco II (DSCO DOG)
Old March 6th, 2010, 12:10 AM
3rovers
Dennis Yard
1993 NAS D-110 #55

NAS D-110 3.9 To 4.6 Parts List

Friends,

Here's what I bought to accomplish the conversion. It does not include consumables, oil, filters or STP.
It also does not include costs for an existing Mallory Unilite distributor, to machine exhaust manifolds, skim heads for thicker composite gaskets and do valve job, recore the radiator and the unavoidable import/freight/currency exchange costs to bring in the short block from the UK.

List provided as a courtesy or guide, no guarantee of fitness for purpose or warranty is express or implied.

Cheers,
Dennis Yard

__________________________________________________ _______________________
Unk Genuine 4.0 Oil Pan 1 each
Unk Rimmer Bros 4.6 short block - GEMS 1 each
RP4 Piper Camshaft 1 each
None M Adams Mark Adams NAS D110 ECU Chip 1 each
RTC4477K OEM Oil Pump Rebuild Kit 1 each
LVB500030 Genuine Head Gasket, Composite 2 each
ERR1990 RNM061 Genuine Gasket, Oil Pump 1 each
ERR6490 Genuine Oil Seal, Engine Front 1 each
ERR6733 Genuine Gasket, Exhaust Manifold 4 each
ERR2609 Genuine Camshaft Thrust Plate (Cam Retainer)
ERR4936 Genuine Gasket, Timing Cover 2 each
ETC4524 Britpart Gasket, Exhaust Manifold to Y Pipe 2 each
9218A Intake Manifold Gasket Kit 1 lot
LVC100260 Gasket, Valve Cover 2 each
ERR7306 Genuine Gasket, Intake Manifold Valley 1 each
ERR7306 Gasket, Intake Manifold Valley Ends 2 each
9224A Kit, Head Bolt 1 each
ANR3227 Genuine Heatshield, Handbrake/Xfr case 1 each
ERR1756 Genuine Bush, Throttle Spindle 2 each
ERR6734 Genuine Bolt, Exhaust manifold 8 each/side
ERR6318 Genuine Spacer, Exhaust manifold bolt 8 each/side
Unk. Water Pump 1 each
ACC-150819 ACCEL Fuel Injectors 1 lot
CRN-99284-16 Crane Lifters, Hydraulic 1 lot
EDL-7828 Edelbrock Timing Chain and Gear Set 1 lot
ERR3788 Gasket, Oil pickup 1 each
ERR3677G Genuine Oil Pickup Tube/screen 1 each
RTC6551MAG2 Magnecor Ignition Wire Set - 7 mm 1 set
ERR3799 Champion Spark Plug Set RN11YC4 1 set
2004 Disco II (DSCO DOG)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, conversion, d-110