Cylinder 7 misfire - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 24th, 2010, 04:20 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Cylinder 7 misfire

Finally got a code reader. This is for a 2003 Discoe, Dweb is down so I can't search over there.

Error code was for cylinder 7 misfire. I've had the service engine soon light on for a while, talked to LR and they said as long as it wasn't flashing I was fine. Got in the truck today and it started flashing and it was misfiring. Turned if off, let it sit, read the code, running fine now. Cleared it to see if it will re-set and come back.

Anything I need to do to address this or is this just a cranky truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 24th, 2010, 04:37 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Good chance you have a dropped liner.
Old July 24th, 2010, 05:04 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Actual code was P0307 Generic Cylinder 7 misfire detected

LR recently (as in last 3-4 months) pull the heads to inspect them after the coolant leak repair. Would dropped liner be related to that? Truck has 65k miles on it.

How do I check the liner?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 24th, 2010, 08:14 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Pull the #7 plug and another plug and compare.

robinson service has lots about the various issues on the website.
Old July 25th, 2010, 10:40 AM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

Could be;

a) bad spark plug
b) bad wire
c) bad coil

If its none of those, then you may have coolant in the cylinder, there are a few ways coolant may get into the cylinder;

1) bad head gasket -- luckily for you, its #7, so that gives you the possibility of it being a head gasket related issue since there is a coolant channel on the back of the engine, so a torn gasket could put coolant in the cylinder
2) slipped liner
3) cracked block
4) cracked head

So you'll want to find out if there is coolant in the cylinder.. first pull the spark plug and take a look at it... if it looks like it was steam cleaned compared to the other ones, that's a sign of coolant in the cylinder... you could also get a little piece of paper and roll it up and 'dip' it into the spark plug hole and see if it has any coolant on it when you pull it out. You could also drain the oil and see if there is coolant in it... and you could also do a block gas test to see if there is exhaust gas in the coolant. The best thing to do is just to tear it down and see what's going on... if LR has had it open in the last 3-4 months, it should still be under warranty from that repair, so they should take some responsibility.
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Old July 25th, 2010, 11:30 AM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

Don't overlook a bad speed sensor, common with odd cylinder misfire codes or a sticking exhaust valve from carbon buildup.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fire, misfire