CV Shaft Install - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 11th, 2004, 11:31 AM
Doug_Paoletti
Douglas P. Paoletti
'94 D90

CV Shaft Install

Just received my new GBR CV front driveshaft (94 D90). Can anyone provide torque specs for the install (I still have not gotten a manual )?

Thanks,

Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 11th, 2004, 01:35 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Torque spec? can you even get the torque wrench in there? I couldn't Anyway, just tighten the bolts as hard as you can, that's what I did and never had a problem. Do you have lock washers? if not then don't forget to use blue locktight.

Good luck
Old June 11th, 2004, 01:46 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Section 47, page 2

24. Fit propeller shafts to vehicle with sliding joints to
transfer box and tighten nuts to 47 Nm (35
lbf/ft).

You can fit a 3/8" drive socket with the shaft rotated in a specific location. You will also need a 3/8" drive u-joint between the socket and rachet. Much quicker than the wrench method....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 11th, 2004, 08:15 PM
Doug_Paoletti
Douglas P. Paoletti
'94 D90

Thanks alot guys.
Old June 11th, 2004, 08:29 PM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

If that shaft uses an aluminum adapter at the t-case end like Tom Woods does, be careful how tight you torque those bolts down.

Tis
Old June 12th, 2004, 12:40 AM
redrover

Doug, the adapter goes at t-box end and you can get a 12point 3/8 drive socket in the machined holes. If the bolts dont come with a coating of thread lock, then add some. Then use a set off box wrenches to bolt drive shaft in place. Like mentioned earlier, you will need to tighten a bolt then rotate shaft to get next one . I bought a set of crapsman closed end box wrenches. They are a couple inches longer than the average open/closed end box wrench-Easier to get bolts tight. Also i shaved the thickness of one wrench with a grinder, so that it slides onto the locknut easier. ROck on JP
Old June 12th, 2004, 10:11 PM
Doug_Paoletti
Douglas P. Paoletti
'94 D90

Thanks again for all the help/advice. I installed the shaft this morning and all went well. It also eliminated all the vibration that resulted from the lift.
Old July 24th, 2004, 06:38 PM
Doug_Paoletti
Douglas P. Paoletti
'94 D90

OK,next question. I just got back from a great week of off-roading in the dunes of NC. The D90 was terrific in the deep sand. I noticed, however, that since installing the lift and the new CV shaft, I have almost no front down travel before the shaft contacts the front sway bar. I tried lowering the attachment point of the bar to the frame with some spacers, but this only gains me an inch or so and it still rubs anytime I go over any reasonably rough terrain. How have people dealt with this problem? I don't want to remove the bar b/c I do quite a bit of freeway driving and want to maintain the stability. Does anyone sell a modified front sway bar to provide more clearance to the drive shaft?
Old July 25th, 2004, 10:14 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I would remove it all together and see if you notice a difference--I barely (if at all) noticed anything. Other than that, just do a disconnect kit. The very principle on why a sway bar works negates the affects of articulation that you are after.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions