CV Joints - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 7th, 2010, 09:37 AM
MAX711
Andrew Dance
1994 D-90 ST

CV Joints

In the middle of complete resto and currently working on the front axle. I have the CV joints torn down and am not sure what I'm looking for in terms of wear? There are a few stains on the polished surfaces but nothing I can feel with a finger nail. The truck has 100k on it and I'm pretty sure they are original. What should I be looking for?

I hate to spend money to replace them if they're still good.

There were some "noises" from the front end before the resto, but I had attributed that to the power steering box which is shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0697.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	234.7 KB
ID:	28322   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0698.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	28323  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 7th, 2010, 10:03 AM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Answer depends on if you are going to wheel it or is mainly a road vehicle. Show piece, put them back in. Wheeler, Rovertracks CV's.
Old June 7th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
That is one school of thought, just throw a bunch of money at something without learning anything. Others might say, if you are running 33" tires or less keep running the stock stuff. Drive sympathetically and you should have minimal problems. If you break something, secondhand spares are cheap and easy to install. That said, the RT stuff is relatively inexpensive, especially if you factor in the potential costs and time for repairs of broken factory items, and pretty much eliminate the potential for shaft/CV breakage as I understand it. Mind you, if you swap the axles and CVs you still have to do something about the weak ring and pinion so if you have a heavy right foot you will probably just break something more expensive and difficult to change. Anyway, just wanted to point out that there are options and there are people running stock setups out there.

Of course now that I said that I will probably break something

I would say put those CV's back together and see if there is any free rotational movement in the joint. If so you might want to replace, there are probably specs published somewhere but generally I don't think you would want any perceptible wear in them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNY View Post
Answer depends on if you are going to wheel it or is mainly a road vehicle. Show piece, put them back in. Wheeler, Rovertracks CV's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 7th, 2010, 10:42 AM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

"Of course now that I said that I will probably break something" I'll be here
Those CV's look fine and Like Kevin say's if your biggest planned obstacle is a parking block at the mall you'll be fine
Really the CV's don't need to get bigger and badder unless you install a front Locker or wheel in high traction locations. I have seen guys with unlocked front break CV's I've also seen guys wit lcokers run stock CV's for ages and not break them.
The 3.54 gears aren't all that weak but the single cross pin diff is. Generally if they get to a ripe old age (I won't apply milage here because it depends on the type of use the diff gets) the cross pin will fail and make a big mess.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions