CV, halfshafts or something else? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 29th, 2014, 09:59 PM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
CV, halfshafts or something else?

Reaching out to the forum with help diagnosing an issue -- I acknowledge up front that explanation/speculation on the internet is always second to actual hands on diagnosis... sort of like that rash you keep googling.

I lost power to the front wheels this weekend while wheeling at Uwharrie. I felt a pop on an earlier portion of the trail... others said they heard a pop while I had wheels spinning on a steep hill a little while later. Either way, had to drive home in diff lock.

I got it up on the lift today on post. I found the following:

- Both front wheels spin freely with no sound/clunk/rattle/scrape
- Flange-side splines are in-tact on both front halfshafts
- Front differential spins freely once the prop is removed -- spinning the diff does not turn the wheels and is met with little to no resistance.
- Attempted to pull the front diff but could not free it. Attempted a considerable level of force with a pry bar but decided to call it quits.
- No shards/parts came out of the diff oil or when I pryed it open 1/2"
- Reassembled everything and truck drove home fine in diff lock

So at this point I know its best to just tear down the whole assembly and prep to replace halfshafts at a minimum... but I don't have the luxury of diagnosing and then order parts while the truck sits disassembled (I live in an apartment and work on the truck on post).

Is there a tell-tale way of knowing if its either CV or halfshafts? Differential issue? ANy help would be appreciated! -Dave

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 29th, 2014, 10:08 PM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Thanks for the insight. I've got a hub nut socket I just ran out of time!

Old October 29th, 2014, 10:17 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
For future reference, you'll have to at the least unbolt the swivel balls from the axle housing and slide them out a few inches in order to remove the differential. But I doubt you broke the diff.

If it is a CV, and you have swivel ball housing drain plugs, you might be able to drain them and see which side...
If a broken shaft, then it is almost certainly the long side, the left side- so tear that down first. Unbolt the caliper, pull off the drive flange, remove the wheel bearing and pull the hub/rotor as an assembly, then unbolt the stub axle from the thingy. If evidence of chaos, then CV gone boom. if not, you will have to go a little further and unbolt the swivel housing from the axle housing to get the whole shaft out.

Come to think of it your truck might have the suffix B style and you may not have to tear as much down... but it should become somewhat self explanatory once you get the rotor and stub axle off. At that point any questions should be pretty quick to resolve via posting a pic here for us to explain.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fs