Reaching out to the forum with help diagnosing an issue -- I acknowledge up front that explanation/speculation on the internet is always second to actual hands on diagnosis... sort of like that rash you keep googling.
I lost power to the front wheels this weekend while wheeling at Uwharrie. I felt a pop on an earlier portion of the trail... others said they heard a pop while I had wheels spinning on a steep hill a little while later. Either way, had to drive home in diff lock.
I got it up on the lift today on post. I found the following:
- Both front wheels spin freely with no sound/clunk/rattle/scrape
- Flange-side splines are in-tact on both front halfshafts
- Front differential spins freely once the prop is removed -- spinning the diff does not turn the wheels and is met with little to no resistance.
- Attempted to pull the front diff but could not free it. Attempted a considerable level of force with a pry bar but decided to call it quits.
- No shards/parts came out of the diff oil or when I pryed it open 1/2"
- Reassembled everything and truck drove home fine in diff lock
So at this point I know its best to just tear down the whole assembly and prep to replace halfshafts at a minimum... but I don't have the luxury of diagnosing and then order parts while the truck sits disassembled (I live in an apartment and work on the truck on post).
Is there a tell-tale way of knowing if its either CV or halfshafts? Differential issue? ANy help would be appreciated! -Dave