Cv, bearing and swivel grease and bearing numbers. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 29th, 2016, 12:31 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Cv, bearing and swivel grease and bearing numbers.

I'm rebuilding the front of my early 110 axle.

I have all the parts needed but have a question on grease.

The Cvs came with cv grease and the swivel balls came with one shot grease.

Can I pack the Cvs, swivel balls and the bearings all with lucas Xtra heavy duty? It says it's cv rated and ep rated. And it would be nice to just run one Damn grease.

And just for other searching the wheel bearings are Timken set 37 and the swivel pin lower bearing is Timken set 61 (hard to find) or bearing 11590 and race 11520
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14751665137611578436902.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	158698  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 29th, 2016, 12:43 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
No. The CVs use a special semi-liquid grease only (or gear oil).

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old September 29th, 2016, 12:45 PM
Naplm00
Matthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
So pack the CV with the supplied cv grease then also fill the hub with eh one shot?

Sucks I really didn't want to run multiple types
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 29th, 2016, 12:49 PM
GuamPilot
Mike & Carrie Wendt
1986 90 2.5NA

Registry
This video shows it's easy to use the CV grease. It came with the kit, might as well use it.

https://youtu.be/0Pfkp-yDT8Q?list=PL...Fi5wW4YRZn-miP

Mike & Carrie

Quote:
Old September 29th, 2016, 12:52 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naplm00 View Post
So pack the CV with the supplied cv grease then also fill the hub with eh one shot? Sucks I really didn't want to run multiple types
I assume you mean pack the hub bearings with regular grease and squirt the CV grease in to the swivel housing?

Old September 29th, 2016, 12:58 PM
Parrie
Parrie Willette
1989 D90 P/U

Quote:
So pack the CV with the supplied cv grease then also fill the hub with eh one shot?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...I don't believe the CV joint gets packed w/ anything...the one-shot grease is what provides CV joint lubrication. The CV joint is located inside the swivel ball housing and isolated from the axle housing & hub via seals thereby elimnating cross contamination w/ the differential oil. The bearings are in the hub and isolated from the swivel ball housing via seal to prevent cross contamination w/ the one shot grease...the bearings get packed w/ grease. By the way, I love the Lucas extra heavy duty grease.
Old September 29th, 2016, 01:02 PM
Naplm00
Matthew

Quote:
I assume you mean pack the hub bearings with regular grease and squirt the CV grease in to the swivel housing?
No,

New Cvs, balls, bearings., everything from axle tube flange out.

Pack the new cv with the the included cv grease, assemble swivel, fill swivel with included one shot grease, pack new wheel bearings with lucas and hub and install.

Or

Pack all with lucas: cv, swivel and all bearings

Lucas Xtra is moly fortified and formulated for enclosed spaces (as the tell me On the phone) so I was hoping I could avoid using the CV and one shot greases since they are two different types.

It sounds like tho that the one shot was designed by lr to be more liquid than solid and sticky

------ Follow up post added September 29th, 2016 01:03 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrie View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong...I don't believe the CV joint gets packed w/ anything...the one-shot grease is what provides CV joint lubrication. The CV joint is located inside the swivel ball housing and isolated from the axle housing & hub via seals thereby elimnating cross contamination w/ the differential oil. The bearings are in the hub and isolated from the swivel ball housing via seal to prevent cross contamination w/ the one shot grease...the bearings get packed w/ grease. By the way, I love the Lucas extra heavy duty grease.
Yes this is also confusing me. Why I wanted to just avoid both
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1475168684826-1623354869.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	158702  
Old September 29th, 2016, 01:12 PM
Parrie
Parrie Willette
1989 D90 P/U

The one-shot grease is more a liquid than a solid and all you need...it is designed specifically for the CV joints...regular grease won't do the trick for lubricating the CVs, the grease needs to be able to flow freely for proper lubrication. The only other option I have seen is to run 90wt differential oil in the swivel housing like the old series trucks do.
Old September 29th, 2016, 01:14 PM
Naplm00
Matthew

Sounds like that's the safe bet. My old lanscruiser specifically used grease, hence the confusion
Old September 29th, 2016, 01:20 PM
Parrie
Parrie Willette
1989 D90 P/U

Quote:
Sounds like that's the safe bet. My old lanscruiser specifically used grease, hence the confusion
Yeah, one normally thinks of grease as semi-solid...not sure why they call the one-shot "grease" as it is more of a liquid. Good Luck!
Old September 29th, 2016, 01:48 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
The one-shot grease is more a liquid than a solid and all you need...it is designed specifically for the CV joints...regular grease won't do the trick for lubricating the CVs, the grease needs to be able to flow freely for proper lubrication. The only other option I have seen is to run 90wt differential oil in the swivel housing like the old series trucks do.
Oil is not a Series thing. The grease came about in the late 90s at some point to reduce warranty leak claims, not because it was better. If you read the Defender workshop manuals, you will see it specifies oil for the swivels at least through to the 1996 manual. I think the first mention of grease is the 2002 manual.

The grease needs to flow so that the upper swivel pin stays lubricated and so that the grease is not lost at high speed.

In most axles, the oil from the axle will fill the swivel eventually anyway as the halfshaft seals never last.

Personally, I do not use the halfshaft seals and let the oil flow freely. It reduces the chance of failure from contamination...

Old September 29th, 2016, 02:20 PM
Parrie
Parrie Willette
1989 D90 P/U

Quote:
Oil is not a Series thing. The grease came about in the late 90s at some point to reduce warranty leak claims, not because it was better. If you read the Defender workshop manuals, you will see it specifies oil for the swivels at least through to the 1996 manual. I think the first mention of grease is the 2002 manual.

The grease needs to flow so that the upper swivel pin stays lubricated and so that the grease is not lost at high speed.

In most axles, the oil from the axle will fill the swivel eventually anyway as the halfshaft seals never last.

Personally, I do not use the halfshaft seals and let the oil flow freely. It reduces the chance of failure from contamination...
Let me clarify...I only call oil a "series thing" loosely as the one-shot grease is not recommended for the series u-joints vs. the defender CVs. I know alot of guys use the one shot stuff in their series to help stop leakage as you say but I'm told the 90wt is much more effective on the series u-joints. The one-shot may not be not a "better" lubricator but it certainly is at least equal and does help w/ leakage.

Interesting you don't run the half shaft seals. So you simply fill the differential as usual and this provides the proper oil level in the swivel housing?
Old September 29th, 2016, 02:36 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Interesting you don't run the half shaft seals. So you simply fill the differential as usual and this provides the proper oil level in the swivel housing?
You need to fill both initially. Then the oil is free to flow. The swivel level plug is higher than the axle, but it does not matter.

Grease is fine, but I would not off road with it, if you drive through deep mud or water. Two reasons. One, it does not leak out, so you do not know the swivel seal is bad. Two, it can't be easily drained and replaced with fresh fluid.

Oil will only leak out if your swivels are poorly maintained. For these guys replacing everything, I see no reason to use the grease.

Old September 29th, 2016, 02:46 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
One-shot grease is simply NGLI #00. Just do a google search on that and you'll get all kinds of options.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old September 29th, 2016, 03:06 PM
Parrie
Parrie Willette
1989 D90 P/U

Quote:
You need to fill both initially. Then the oil is free to flow. The swivel level plug is higher than the axle, but it does not matter.

Grease is fine, but I would not off road with it, if you drive through deep mud or water. Two reasons. One, it does not leak out, so you do not know the swivel seal is bad. Two, it can't be easily drained and replaced with fresh fluid.

Oil will only leak out if your swivels are poorly maintained. For these guys replacing everything, I see no reason to use the grease.
I like your thinking...too bad I already have my half-shaft seals installed otherwise I'd leave them out. Definately will be going w/ oil in the swivel housing.
Old September 30th, 2016, 06:46 AM
Parrie
Parrie Willette
1989 D90 P/U

Quote:

Sorry, we kinda got off your thread topic but I think we answered your question...if you don't want to run multiple stick w/ the 90wt in both the differential and swivel housings, lucas grease in the wheel bearings.
Old September 30th, 2016, 08:11 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
By definition, grease is just oil in a carrier.

I've only made cursory examination of one-shot grease, but really to me it just looks like a run of the mill oil-thinned grease fortified with molybdenum giving it its characteristic "dark" color.

One could easily make their own version of one-shot grease and very easily make it to their own preferred viscosity, I'm sure! Moly greases can be thinned with gear oil. Non-Moly greases and gear oil can have powdered moly added manually.
Old September 30th, 2016, 09:15 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I run wet rear axles. When you do that with the front and leave out the half shaft seals,,isn't there a different (or upgraded) hub seal you should be using when running wet fronts? Is it the RTC3511?

And yes, although you can make your own one shot, you could simply get NGLI#00 as Bill mentioned above. Good to know in a pinch though. Thanks!
Old September 30th, 2016, 09:44 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis View Post
I run wet rear axles. When you do that with the front and leave out the half shaft seals,,isn't there a different (or upgraded) hub seal you should be using when running wet fronts? Is it the RTC3511?

And yes, although you can make your own one shot, you could simply get NGLI#00 as Bill mentioned above. Good to know in a pinch though. Thanks!
Yes, but we are talking about wet swivels and not the bearings. You can do that as well. You need to cut the inside out of the seal that is inside the stub axle. The outer part needs to remain as it acts as a spacer for the CV bushing.

Really, everyone should use the RTC3511 regardless as it is a better seal.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions