Customs officer called me - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 21st, 2015, 05:07 PM
asif k.

Customs officer called me

My newly imported defender's hood cable is snapped and he can't finish his inspection. Now they are calling someone to open it tomorrow in the Baltimore port, I hope its not some crazy fee for a mechanic to open it. I offered them the tip of removing the grill to access it but they won't turn a screwdriver themselves. He was asking me if I knew anything about it, almost implying that it was intentionally shut to hide something.

The stupid cable couldn't have snapped at a worse time, pretty scary to get a call from a customs officer! He seemed like a nice guy though. 25 year old cars, never know what's going to happen...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 21st, 2015, 05:30 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Can you offer to open it for him?

Ask him where in the EPA regs it says you have to have a working bonnet. :-)
Old September 21st, 2015, 05:38 PM
asif k.

I don't have a TWIC card so I can't enter the port. They have to look at the engine I guess so that would be one reason, the other would be the possibility of contraband hidden under the hood. I just hope the 'mechanic' isn't billed at 200 dollars an hour plus administrative fees, its the government after all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 21st, 2015, 06:18 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
If they won't let you in, then how good is the grille? If it's ratty, and you're going to replace it anyways, just tell them to literally pull it off if they can't be bothered to use a screwdriver. They're cheap new and I think John (madcowdungbeetle) still has a couple decent used ones for less than shipping!
Old September 21st, 2015, 06:34 PM
asif k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D90Overkill View Post
If they won't let you in, then how good is the grille? If it's ratty, and you're going to replace it anyways, just tell them to literally pull it off if they can't be bothered to use a screwdriver. They're cheap new and I think John (madcowdungbeetle) still has a couple decent used ones for less than shipping!
That would be the best thing, I called the customs exam center back but couldn't get a hold of the officer doing the inspection. Some stern voiced woman answered and when I suggested that the grill is easy to remove, she said a 'Ports America Mechanic' would be called to deal with it. Hopefully they do just yank it off and break it, at least they can't charge me for breaking something.
Old September 21st, 2015, 06:39 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Exactly! Good luck! But then where did you hide all the contraband? Jk! ;-)
Old September 21st, 2015, 07:48 PM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
You clearly havent dealt with the govt before. They will charge you for the clean up for the mess they make. Just be glad it didnt need to be pressure washed/steam cleaned. -Jeff

Good lord don't remind me.

Old September 21st, 2015, 07:51 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
You clearly havent dealt with the govt before. They will charge you for the clean up for the mess they make. Just be glad it didnt need to be pressure washed/steam cleaned.

-Jeff
Shhhhh (wisper) the inspection hasn't been completed yet.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old September 21st, 2015, 09:34 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Someone with experience should be able to fish the bonnet cable out. Wish I were closer so I could help you out!

My TWIC card is currently pending, I just have to go have my interview. Should help quite a bit with my new legal practice. I was just at the Port of Charleston week before last to conduct an inspection. At the current rate of things, I see a lot of travel in my future.

Based on what I've seen though, CBP has trained its officers to assume that all Land Rovers are illegal until proven otherwise (i.e., guilty until proven innocent). Unfortunately, their training in inspecting Land Rover vehicles is somewhat flawed......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please feel free to visit my website at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old September 21st, 2015, 09:54 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Unfortunately, their training in inspecting Land Rover vehicles is somewhat flawed......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willh View Post
Unfortunately, their training in inspecting Land Rover vehicles is somewhat flawed......
Yeah, here's a novel concept.... Why doesn't the marquee provide training and support to officers so that the brand awareness, quality and respect for the heritage lives on. No.....not Land Rover
Old September 21st, 2015, 09:54 PM
SonnyAK
Sonny
1993 NAS 110

Registry
This is super common on these...Ours broke while we were driving it back to Alaska...I think it's a required experience for a new owner!! Hope it doesn't throw the inspection off much!!
Old September 21st, 2015, 09:58 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
Yeah, here's a novel concept.... Why doesn't the marquee provide training and support to officers so that the brand awareness, quality and respect for the heritage lives on. No.....not Land Rover
Old September 21st, 2015, 10:20 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Now that I think about it, mine broke just prior to California registration. I didn't know how much scrutiny I'd receive at the DMV and therefore didn't have it fixed prior. BIG mistake.

He checked all my vins and had me pop the hood. Got really testy when I told him I couldn't. I didn't know anything back in '07 and had no idea why he wanted to see everything. Had to unscrew my own grille before it was all over. I agree and think it's a right of passage.
Old September 21st, 2015, 10:21 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Mine just broke the other day as well...waiting for a replacement from SafariHP, but in the meantime I ran a loop of paracord through there so I can yank on it by hand if need be to pop it open. But yes, the timing was terrible for yours since it's at the port...
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old September 21st, 2015, 10:26 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
Ummm. Because Land Rover is behind the seizures and trying to stop imports.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old September 21st, 2015, 10:47 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Ummm. Because Land Rover is behind the seizures and trying to stop imports.
Ok... Guess my sarcasm voice wasn't high enough
Old September 21st, 2015, 11:45 PM
Way of Life
Randy
1988 Defender D110

Registry
Good luck hope she passes the checks and the EPA rules.
Different rules south of the 49.
Old September 22nd, 2015, 12:58 AM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D90Overkill View Post
Guaranteed, if they knew there were drugs or weapons of mass destruction or smuggled wildlife under the bonnet, they wouldn't hesitate to take that screwdriver or battering ram to gain access.
Old September 22nd, 2015, 01:00 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisC View Post
Guaranteed, if they knew there were drugs or weapons of mass destruction or smuggled wildlife under the bonnet, they wouldn't hesitate to take that screwdriver or battering ram to gain access.
True that! This is just a shakedown.
Old September 22nd, 2015, 07:08 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
They will probably use a Sennebogen to open the bonnet. They haven't fired it up in awhile. Or at the very least the Jaws of Life because they don't use screwdrivers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SENNEBOGEN.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	130355  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions