Custom Y Pipe with Single Cat? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 4th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Raleigh D90
Ben
Somewhere Across Town

Custom Y Pipe with Single Cat?

So, I'm going to need to replace my y pipe soon and don't see any sane reason why twin cats are needed. Was hoping to get a bit of a performance boost by going with a custom Y pipe and high flow cat placed after the Y with the magnaflow that a lot of people have tried. Any reason I should be wary of this?

I can't imagine that this has not been covered here, but I couldn't find a thread on this question. I wouldn't run a cat at all, but it would never pass a visual inspection here in NC.

Thanks for your help/thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 4th, 2009, 04:13 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I doubt they would even look at them, they've never put my truck on the lift. Take your truck by RJ's tubing on Capital, he set my RRC up pretty nice. Why are you replacing the y-pipe? You can ditch the CAT's and tune the MAF there are many opinions on this. I am running catalytics on both of my trucks, in hindsite I would have left them off my RRC.
Old May 4th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Trailhead 4x4
Eric Brown
1990 RRC
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleigh D90
So, I'm going to need to replace my y pipe soon and don't see any sane reason why twin cats are needed. Was hoping to get a bit of a performance boost by going with a custom Y pipe and high flow cat placed after the Y with the magnaflow that a lot of people have tried. Any reason I should be wary of this?

I can't imagine that this has not been covered here, but I couldn't find a thread on this question. I wouldn't run a cat at all, but it would never pass a visual inspection here in NC.

Thanks for your help/thoughts.
I have a new Y-pipe cat system in the works that will allow you to switch between catted or open for off road use. It will be worth the wait. Should have a prototype in about a week. Even the catted version will flow so much better than any pipe on the market so far, as well as provide more drive shaft and ground clearance than any other pipe that you may not even want the off road pipes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 5th, 2009, 07:51 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
How will one switch to non cat, does it have cut outs? What cats are you planning on using, You can get cats cut out of a y-pipe and pipe welded in for like 100 bucks.
Old May 6th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Trailhead 4x4
Eric Brown
1990 RRC
D-90 Source Vendor

Cats will be from random technology. They will be removeable via slip fit, and the off road pipes will then go in their place. Yes, you can get cats cut out and pipe welded very cheap if you can find an exhaust shop willing to do that, but then what will you do when it come time to get your vehicle inspected? I realize there are many areas where vehicle inspection is not an issue, but for the rest of us, cats are a must have. This system will offer the best of both.
Old May 6th, 2009, 07:30 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Eric
Will there be a version where the cats are not removable? I would think people would want this as there would be less fittings to loosen. Also can you still use any exhaust with it or do you have to use yours?
Old May 7th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Trailhead 4x4
Eric Brown
1990 RRC
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf
Eric
Will there be a version where the cats are not removable? I would think people would want this as there would be less fittings to loosen. Also can you still use any exhaust with it or do you have to use yours?
As of right now, all versions will be the 5 piece design which will be much easier to install, and will actually reduce the potential of leaks at the manifold by relieving any stress put on the pipes due to slight misalignment as I'm sure most everyone who has messed with the y pipes has experienced, even witha factory pipe. This also reduces the possibility of cracking the weld around the flange that bolts to the manifold. As I said in other posts, I'll be testing the prototype soon, if it leaks, I'll send it back to be re-worked, I hate leaks just as much as anyone else, probably more! Also keep in mind te 5 piece design will be MUCH less expensive to ship. Those that have bought the NRP system i'm sure have been hit with close to $100.00 or more to get it to their door.
Old May 7th, 2009, 10:14 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Will it work with a borla?
Old May 7th, 2009, 10:59 AM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf
Will it work with a borla?
x2. Please look into this if you can. The flange on the Borla is just a wee bit too small for the factory flange. Incredibly frustrating.
Old May 7th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Trailhead 4x4
Eric Brown
1990 RRC
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellulararrest
x2. Please look into this if you can. The flange on the Borla is just a wee bit too small for the factory flange. Incredibly frustrating.
Yes, I am familiar with the poor fit of the Borla. My system will be compatible with any cat-back curently on the market today that is designed to use the factory Y pipe flange. My flange will be ever so slightly smaller than the factory one due to the tooling available for production, so that may help mate with the Borla. I actually took my Borla muffler from my RRC and had the bell mouth opened up just a bit to fit better on the factory pipe, and also got rid of the cheezy flange that Borla provides and bought a split flange that is much heavier and everything seals up nice and tight now. The Borla flange would just bend and eventually meet the flange on the Y pipe and refuse to pull the pipes any tighter. This is one reason I really do like and promote the NRP cat-back system.
Old May 7th, 2009, 10:55 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Hey why not throw on a set of Headman Headers from Summit, they are about $150 for a set. They work awesome and I had mine ceramic coated. Just a thought but if you are going to go in...go all in!
Old May 8th, 2009, 12:35 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

There is no room for the one cat at the end of the y-pipe.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions