Custom rear susp. mounts??? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 27th, 2005, 01:13 PM
RedRhinoProducts
RedRhinoProducts
Big-Ass Disco
D-90 Source Vendor

Question Custom rear susp. mounts???

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had some input...we are building a Disko for the Outback Challenge and on the rear suspension I am trying to decide if I should go with the HD RoverTym upper mounts and lower loop adaptors or If I should take the shocks from the axle up at and angle to where the wholes for the self leveling unit mount on the center of the frame. I was just going to make my own upper and lower brackets with some plate and grade 8 hardware.

Can anyone comment on this giving more/less flex or a better/worse ride? I would appreciate some opinons.

BTW, we are running 14" SB Billsteins.

Thanks!
Advertisement

Old January 27th, 2005, 09:37 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

You mean like this? If you do it rocks. It provides a much better ride than the standard shock location by fighting body roll. It will give you more travel too. Mine is limited by the retained springs. The way the factory and the aftermarket mounts the shocks in the rear is odd, it does nothing for body roll or for load control, they should angle backward to accomplish anything. Good luck on the 14in shocks in that configuration though, I have a 3in lift back there and can barely fit 11in travel shocks. It doesn't matter, at that ange every inch of travel in the shock turns into about 1.8in at the tires. I have over 18in of truely useable travel. I had a custom crossmember made, I suggest you do as well instead of mounting to an existing structure. Also, this gets rid of the retarded lower shock mounts, also known as rock anchors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010029.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	2369   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010021.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	2370  

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old January 27th, 2005, 09:42 PM
RedRhinoProducts
RedRhinoProducts
Big-Ass Disco
D-90 Source Vendor

Talking

David I think we were talking on Pirate about this YES? Could you forward me some more pics and possible details on that cross member? I had planned on doing exactly what you have done.

Thanks!
Advertisement

Old January 27th, 2005, 09:58 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

It wasn't me you were talking to on Pirate, but I won't hold it against you. As to more picts, what you see is what you get, untill this weekend. Then I can snap a few and will send them your way. Just let me know what details you want, I am an open book.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old January 27th, 2005, 10:15 PM
souza
Dave Souza
1995 Defender 90 SW #275

David that setup looks a bit like what I just bought from Matt... NSO rear shock mounts (I know yours are custom).

My buddy cliff sports them, you can sort of see it here:
http://www.expeditionexchange.com/re.../Mvc-006hf.jpg

KC Carpenter, http://www.neversummeroffroad.com He might be who you were talking to jason, I think he's on Pirate.

There's an old link to the page, but I can't get the pictures to load:
http://www.neversummeroffroad.com/rearmount.htm
Old January 27th, 2005, 10:20 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

KC built mine too! He just had to make them a little differently due to the military chassis and the custom gas tank. NSO is no longer selling any products last time I spoke with him.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old January 27th, 2005, 10:20 PM
souza
Dave Souza
1995 Defender 90 SW #275

BTW Dave, you talking about all that flex is making me happy I got them. What shocks to you run? I was told the Rancho 9114 works well, I think that's like a ~ 9" travel shock. I was thinking of using Bilstien 5150's though.
Old January 27th, 2005, 11:05 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I have the rear 9in though so I can't really tell you what to run as far as shock lenth. I have ranchos, don't even know what kind. The system is good, I can droop about two inches below the bottom of the sliders, which hang 1in below the stock sills, with 37's. I still want to get the SG type spring drops, for a few more inches. But I am waiting for someone else to make them so I don't feel like a whore. Hint hint rovertrax.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old January 27th, 2005, 11:25 PM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

I have the same mount made by the same person, yes it is the Rancho 9114. As David said a 14" travel shock isn't necessary and won't fit in this configuration. I had to turn the shock valving to it's stiffest setup to get to ride like it did before. Also put the studs or bolts on the upper mount in double shear, I've bent both studs on my upper mount in single shear. You will also have to loose the stock exhaust from the muffler back.

Tis
Old January 28th, 2005, 09:17 AM
souza
Dave Souza
1995 Defender 90 SW #275

Tis,

What is double shear or single shear? Different bolt strengths? It came with two uppers, although I've got to get rear studs. How different is the exhaust routing? I've already got a flowmaster with new pipe back and I'm worried I'm going to have to replace it again.

thanks,
Dave
Old January 28th, 2005, 11:24 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by souza
(sorry to jump in OT mode)
BTW,why is the NSO site"closed"?
I mean there's the homepage but nothing clicky.

Once upon a time I remember there was a working pic section and other stuff...?

Or it's just me that I'm dreaming as usual...?

Cheers
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old January 28th, 2005, 05:24 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

There is no more NSO. KC runs a LineX shop now. He only does stuff for friends I think.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old January 29th, 2005, 09:42 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Ah...shame...

...uh yeah,and sure they have great time in cutting Mog portals to put under a D100"
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old January 29th, 2005, 11:25 AM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

Dave-

Double shear relates to the way in which the mounting bracket distributes the force applied to the bolt holding the shock in place. In this case you have the mount with a bolt welded to one end of the bracket and the shock mounting perpedicularly to that bolt. As the suspension compresses all of that force is transferred to the point where the mount and the bolt holding the shock meet, singe shear. If the mount had a C-type bracket with a tab for the bolt to pass through on the other side, it would take some of the load, double shear. Another way to visualize this is imagine the shock mount eye with a tab from the mount coming down on either side of the eye so that the mounting bolt could pass through one tab, through the bushing, out through the other tab and fastened with a nut.

As for your muffler setup all you will need to do is cut off the exhaust pipe just past the muffler. You may want to turn the tip of the pipe down like David's picture above.

You have two uppers because one set is for the shocks and the other set is for limit straps if you choose to run them.

Tis
Old January 30th, 2005, 03:37 PM
UKlandyandy
Andy
'86 exmil 90, 3.9efi auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
Then I can snap a few and will send them your way. Just let me know what details you want, I am an open book.
Hi David,

Any chance of dropping those pics on the forum. I'd be most interested too as it will complement my 3 link system.

Cheers,
Andy
Old January 30th, 2005, 07:47 PM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

Here's mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resize of DSC_1109.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	2401   Click image for larger version

Name:	Resize of DSC_1114.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	2402  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
mount