Custom Radiator - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 17th, 2012, 11:45 PM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

Custom Radiator

Back in mid-June I talked with the "Mr. Cool" radiator shop in Austin, Texas concerning the higher temperatures my 300 Tdi was hitting, especially on the hotter days when turning on the A/C. Once the temperature got over 200 F, it was all the electric fans (radiator and condenser) could do to keep it at that temperature - the fans wouldn't shut off, especially at freeway speeds, even after I shut off the A/C. I also was planning to pull a U-Haul 5x8 trailer from north of Columbus, Ohio to Austin in early August, so I knew something had to change. It's been like this since I've owned it, and the engine only had about 30,000 miles back then.

They recommended a five row radiator, with each row recessed and offset. Something like this edge-on view:

o--------
--o------
----o----
------o--
--------o

The total price, including a radiator flush with me providing the new thermostat, was under $550. The work was completed late June.

Per the VDO gauge, I previously ran about 195 under normal driving, without A/C. Now I typically run about 186, which is close to the thermostat opening temperature. Turning on the AC has negligible effect, even in 100 degree weather. Even while sitting in traffic, the condenser fan alone seems to be sufficient.

Both fans will kick on and off if I'm stuck in traffic in hot weather without the A/C, but I'd consider this normal - there's little air flowing through the system and I'm surrounded by other engines generating heat.

During the trip from Columbus to Austin with the U-Haul, both fans only kicked on about three times. Each time was during a prolonged climb. During the climb, the fans would turn on and keep it at temperature or start to bring the temperature down. Outside temperatures during my drive through Texas was low 100's.

So far I'm happy with the result. My only nit is that the top radiator brackets don't quite fit right. However, the radiator is held firmly in place, it's not visible when the hood is shut, and I probably just need a little time to muck with it. So thumbs up for Mr. Cool
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 18th, 2012, 12:13 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael67 View Post
Back in mid-June I talked with the "Mr. Cool" radiator shop in Austin, Texas concerning the higher temperatures my 300 Tdi was hitting, especially on the hotter days when turning on the A/C. Once the temperature got over 200 F, it was all the electric fans (radiator and condenser) could do to keep it at that temperature - the fans wouldn't shut off, especially at freeway speeds, even after I shut off the A/C. I also was planning to pull a U-Haul 5x8 trailer from north of Columbus, Ohio to Austin in early August, so I knew something had to change. It's been like this since I've owned it, and the engine only had about 30,000 miles back then.

They recommended a five row radiator, with each row recessed and offset. Something like this edge-on view:

o--------
--o------
----o----
------o--
--------o

The total price, including a radiator flush with me providing the new thermostat, was under $550. The work was completed late June.

Per the VDO gauge, I previously ran about 195 under normal driving, without A/C. Now I typically run about 186, which is close to the thermostat opening temperature. Turning on the AC has negligible effect, even in 100 degree weather. Even while sitting in traffic, the condenser fan alone seems to be sufficient.

Both fans will kick on and off if I'm stuck in traffic in hot weather without the A/C, but I'd consider this normal - there's little air flowing through the system and I'm surrounded by other engines generating heat.

During the trip from Columbus to Austin with the U-Haul, both fans only kicked on about three times. Each time was during a prolonged climb. During the climb, the fans would turn on and keep it at temperature or start to bring the temperature down. Outside temperatures during my drive through Texas was low 100's.

So far I'm happy with the result. My only nit is that the top radiator brackets don't quite fit right. However, the radiator is held firmly in place, it's not visible when the hood is shut, and I probably just need a little time to muck with it. So thumbs up for Mr. Cool
That sounds like it worked out well. Maybe I will check them out too!
Old August 18th, 2012, 03:50 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Wish you'd had a V8. Would be interesting to get numbers on that.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 18th, 2012, 07:18 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Quote:
Now I typically run about 186, which is close to the thermostat opening temperature.
What temp thermostat are you using?

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old August 18th, 2012, 11:58 PM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antichrist View Post
What temp thermostat are you using?
Stock 300 Tdi thermostat, 88 degrees centigrade.

------ Follow up post added August 18th, 2012 11:05 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
That sounds like it worked out well. Maybe I will check them out too!
It seems to have worked out. I get nervous dropping off my Defender, given I do most of the work on it. Doubly so for this, since I've never used Mr. Cool before. But I guess they do a lot of custom built car radiator work, so this was nothing too out there for them.
Old August 19th, 2012, 08:01 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Quote:
Stock 300 Tdi thermostat, 88 degrees centigrade.
I was wondering because a lot of people run too hot a thermostat. Rover thermostats are supposed to be fully open at 88, but on American thermostats, Stant, Gates, etc., the temp specified is when they start to open. So if using one you need a 180f for it to be fully open at 88c.
I haven't seen any US parts books list the 300tdi, but for the V8 they list a 195, which is wrong.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
radiator