Custom 'factory' switches... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old December 30th, 2015, 11:50 PM
Ash Heller
6.0 LS 110
D-90 Source Vendor
Custom 'factory' switches...

Just another weird little project I've been tinkering with.

I recently set up a 20W fiber laser in the garage at the house and have been learning the ropes with it...mostly through error but occasionally I'll get something right. I did a pretty sweet engraving on my new Yeti cup that I shared in Zack's thread, but this has me a little more excited.

Most of you guys aren't running the Td5 or Puma dashes, but they're definitely becoming more commonplace among us builders and from the looks of things they're soon going to be the only options available. My biggest gripe, especially with the Td5 stuff, is that you get this awesome dash bezel with a million switches, but more often than not we end up using blank, non-functional dummy switches in many of the locations since not everyone gets power windows, heated seats, heated glass, or some of the other options found on the late model trucks.

But then you get things like ARB's, or auxiliary lights, or other aftermarket accessories whose switches you have to find a home for...and of course they don't fit in the factory switch locations, so they get mounted somewhere else on the dash, and it all just ends up looking busy.

This evening, after much trial and error (I think I cooked 8 switch faces) I discovered that I can safely burn logos into the blank dummy switch faces, and then transplant them onto functioning switch bodies to control aftermarket accessories in a much cleaner fashion. The power window switch, for instance, is a DPDT momentary rocker that can control something like a winch, or a power folding antenna. The heated seat switches are SPST which are perfect for fog lights, compressors, or anything with an on/off function.

Here's my first, albeit kind of ugly and off-center, mostly successful burn. I'm pretty excited about the possibilities with this. Hope you guys enjoy.

Geared Restoration Co.
Old December 30th, 2015, 11:59 PM
Brett Fritzler
1998 Discovery
That's definitely awesome.

Old December 31st, 2015, 09:35 AM
Mike Barnett
Very cool.
Old January 3rd, 2016, 03:00 PM
2005 Defender Td5
Have you had better luck? Have you thinking about selling them?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

ac, factory, switch