Custom Dash? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 14th, 2008, 04:45 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Custom Dash?

Does anyone know of anyone out there who has made a custom metal (series II like) dash that'll fit into a Defender? The cheap plastic, 25 piece, entirely insufficient for gauges stock dash is driving me nuts and I'm going to fabricate up something but if someone has already done a nice design I've love to know about it.

http://www.coopertechnica.com/61_images/DASH-O.jpg is kinda what I'm talking about but I'm thinking something that also keeps functional defrosters, a rain-deflect for the vents, individual fans for the defrost and heater vents etc, but still looks like it belongs in a Rover.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 14th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I know this is not what your after exactly, but it is what I did. This cost me about $100 worth of AL work and another $50 for powdercoat. It would not be hard to design a dash for yourself and then pay someone to make it. Would be a pretty cool project too as the LR dash is surprisingly heavy. Good luck.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old December 15th, 2008, 12:52 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

No real reason you could not take the metal dash out of a SII/SIIa and weld it onto your defender bulkhead.
Advertisement

Old December 15th, 2008, 08:05 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Buck, thats a nice A/C unit you have for the passengers feet....
Old December 15th, 2008, 08:42 AM
rgrrvr
DJ Menasco is The Dude
1995 D90

Here is a link to Diesel Jim's Series Trek. He put a Series II dash on a defender bulkhead (twice) and also stuffed a mercedes diesel into a series II. Scroll down about 3/4 of the way.

http://www.seriestrek.com/109.html
Old December 15th, 2008, 09:20 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
No real reason you could not take the metal dash out of a SII/SIIa and weld it onto your defender bulkhead.
You have to narrow it a little if you have roll up window doors.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old December 15th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy
Buck, thats a nice A/C unit you have for the passengers feet....
I have lexan covers for them!

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old December 15th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Damn, Buck.... that may not suit my needs, but that is one very nice looking dash you've put together there. I love the lexan floors too, I may just have to replace the stock removable panels with some lexan in my own, how does it hold up to wear from your feet?

Just running a tach, oil pressure and temp gauges?

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old December 15th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
Damn, Buck.... that may not suit my needs, but that is one very nice looking dash you've put together there. I love the lexan floors too, I may just have to replace the stock removable panels with some lexan in my own, how does it hold up to wear from your feet?

Just running a tach, oil pressure and temp gauges?

-Hans
Thanks a lot! The lexan only covers the view holes in the bulkhead that I cut out, so feet don't rest on them all that often. Even so, I have to replace them every season or so. I am trying MR10 lexan now that may be more scratch resistant so well see how it holds up.

I just run a water temp guage, tach, and egt. There isn't much need to run anything more with the 300 IMO.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old December 15th, 2008, 05:55 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Thanks, lots of cool info. I think I will start by finding a series II dash I can borrow and mock up something from that. At the current rate of restoration I will probably get to it around March if all goes well.

Since I already need to replace the doors I am thinking about those all alu doors and going with slider windows so fitting a SII dash directly would also work and seems a nicer option than the defender one.

- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old December 15th, 2008, 06:54 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

"You have to narrow it a little if you have roll up window doors."

Really? I guess the only ones I have seen done are with the Series/ST doors. I was thinking about putting roll up doors on my 1959 so I guess that won't work then.
Old December 16th, 2008, 10:54 AM
brn24whl
Eric
1994 RRC SWB

Registry
Roll up doors will work without the inner door panels on the door panels are what hit.

Eric
Direct Line 518-539-2231

If ordering on our online site please choose me as the sales rep. If placing a phone order please call me directly at the numbers above.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
dash