Custom Axle Buiders - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 4th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

Custom Axle Buiders

Anyone have any experience building custom axles for their D-90. Any reputable builders with LR knowledge? Considering a couple of options regarding upgrading.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 4th, 2008, 08:23 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Portals???
Old August 4th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

Portals are a little too extreme for me. I'm thinking more on the lines of custom dana 60's or 9". I am thinking of the toy 3rd dif swap, but if I'm spending the money I want to see if there are better options out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 4th, 2008, 10:07 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

What size tires are you running and how hard do you really wheel it? These are the honest questions you should ask yourself.
Old August 4th, 2008, 10:12 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Tisdale had a set of 9" with 60 outers and custom tubes made for his 94. I think they were done by Rockware... but I already know your feelings about them. I am pretty sure his were north of 15K.

Old August 4th, 2008, 10:52 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Talk to Keith at RoverTracks
Old August 4th, 2008, 11:31 PM
madcowdungbeetle
Carter
1994 D90 on 37s supreme balla style

Registry
I've put a D60/D70 under my Disco.

I'm considering building a set of 9-60's for my D90 this winter.

I think Keith's Toyota kit is an excellent setup if you plan on keeping the truck on anything less than 37's.
Old August 5th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

hey Joe,

If you are seriously considering this, we should talk about the options. There are a lot of things that go into this decision that need to be ironed out in order for you to be happy. PM me and we can exchange phone numbers. Hope your doing well.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old August 5th, 2008, 11:18 AM
slorocco
Dan Prasada-Rao
1963, 109 Station Wagon

Don't know what your end game is, but you could consider a matched pair of front and rear salisburys.
Old August 5th, 2008, 11:47 AM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe P
Anyone have any experience building custom axles for their D-90. Any reputable builders with LR knowledge? Considering a couple of options regarding upgrading.

Thanks
For what it is worth, here is my .02. Looking at your avitar it seems like your rig is very well suited for street and trail. In the grand sceme of things going with custom axles will end up being much more than just the axles to obtain similar streetability. If you want to keep that as a major part of your D90 enjoyment go the toy route. Dave and I can attest to long periods of doing and re-doing aspects, ultimately I personally had 3 builders involved with my 9/60s. Secondly I personally feel that you do not need that much hardware on your D90 unless you are seeking trails that require 37"+ tires and you are committed to all of the other modifications that come along with going down that path and are currently breaking parts regularly. Look at Dave's truck 3 years ago and look at it today, that is what he wants. For me, the more modified my D90 got the more it sat in the garage and traveled on the trailer and the less I drove it around town (switching tires is a big pain!), be prepared for that reality.

If you are set on custom axles and looking for someone to do it for you with LR experience I'd suggest off the top of my head:

Keith-Rovertracks (salsbury and toy converstions)
Matt- Rockware (can build anything)
Sunray Engineering (not sure they are doing axles anymore)

FWIW- If I were to do it over and start today I'd get the 9" housings and knuckles from Spidertrax, the 3rd members from Hi9 and have Matt build them to spec. Those axles would be spendy though.
Old August 6th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

For up to 37" tires, Keiths Toy diff conversion is tough to beat. It's fairly easy and reasonably priced. I've done several and they've turned out well. I'm currently building a 110 that will be wearing only 33" tires. The customer opted for 4.88 gears with a front toy conversion and a rear Salsbury/D60 hybrid. The t-box has been rebuilt with 1:1 high range gears. The truck is being built to tow a boat and be daily driven as well as having excellent low range gearing for off road use. High range gearing will be very slightly higher than stock (1.5%), but the low range gearing will be about 38% lower than stock. By creatively combining t-box ratios and diff ratios it is possible to end up with a truck that is very well geared for off road use while still being streetable
Old August 6th, 2008, 02:34 PM
outfield
Steve
1995 D-90 SW #351

Registry
Dynatrac has bolt-in Dana 60's for a Defender. They have a delaer in the UK that has been ordering them for a while and wouild be happy to sell some in the states.
Old August 6th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by slorocco
Don't know what your end game is, but you could consider a matched pair of front and rear salisburys.
That's silly.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by outfield
Dynatrac has bolt-in Dana 60's for a Defender. They have a delaer in the UK that has been ordering them for a while and wouild be happy to sell some in the states.
They make and awesome axle, but for a rig you plan to drive daily, I would have serious reservations about that kind of weight. Especially if the tire size we are talking about is 37 or less.

Edit: Tiz nailed it. He's right on everything.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old August 7th, 2008, 02:52 PM
slorocco
Dan Prasada-Rao
1963, 109 Station Wagon

Yeah, the matched salisbury's are kinda silly but that's where I am. I already had a rear with the series 4.7 gearing. I found a front with the same gearing and decided to just do it. It's actually turned out cheaper than some of the alternatives.
Old August 7th, 2008, 03:05 PM
outfield
Steve
1995 D-90 SW #351

Registry
Buck,

It looks like you are running 37's, what type of front CV's are you using? Do you run a Detroit in the front, ARB or?? How about the diff gearing and T case gearing?

I'm real worried about my front shafts after seeing how small they really are. My CJ-5 with WARN shafts in the DANA 30 make the Rover stuff look really puny. So far my front shafts have lasted 2 years, but having something stronger is good piece of mind.
Old August 8th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by slorocco
Yeah, the matched salisbury's are kinda silly but that's where I am. I already had a rear with the series 4.7 gearing. I found a front with the same gearing and decided to just do it. It's actually turned out cheaper than some of the alternatives.
Did you upgrade the rear axles and weld on new front outers? That's the problem with the sals. Without serious mods, they really dont do any good except for making your truck heavier and your wallet lighter. Not trying to be negative, Kieth makes a killer upgrade for the rear and your r+p is seriously stout.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by outfield
Buck,

It looks like you are running 37's, what type of front CV's are you using? Do you run a Detroit in the front, ARB or?? How about the diff gearing and T case gearing?

I'm real worried about my front shafts after seeing how small they really are. My CJ-5 with WARN shafts in the DANA 30 make the Rover stuff look really puny. So far my front shafts have lasted 2 years, but having something stronger is good piece of mind.
Hey,

I run 40s with Dana 60 outers. You should be worried about the stock stuff, because it is uniquely weak. But like stated earlier, the toy conversion is surprisingly strong. Its no dtrack 60, but will handle 35s without worry.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old January 16th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

As an update, I think I have settled on Keith's Toy Upgrade. now the quesiton is ARB's vs E-Locker.

any thoughts
Old January 17th, 2009, 01:24 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe P
As an update, I think I have settled on Keith's Toy Upgrade. now the quesiton is ARB's vs E-Locker.

any thoughts
Hi Joe,

Have you seen that I have my rear rover 9 for sale? It's bolt in with an ARB and third member. I know you and would knock some money off the price. You won't find a better deal anywhere, by a grand or two. Plus some of the $$ is going to Kieth anyway. If you did my rear and toy front you cound rock 37's without any worry. I even have my front for sale too but I think that is going a little too far for what you want to do.

Check it out in the for sale section and let me know if you are interested!

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old January 17th, 2009, 09:11 AM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
Hi Joe,

Have you seen that I have my rear rover 9 for sale? It's bolt in with an ARB and third member. I know you and would knock some money off the price. You won't find a better deal anywhere, by a grand or two. Plus some of the $$ is going to Kieth anyway. If you did my rear and toy front you cound rock 37's without any worry. I even have my front for sale too but I think that is going a little too far for what you want to do.

Check it out in the for sale section and let me know if you are interested!
yep, somebody buy these axles.
Old January 17th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteD90
yep, somebody buy these axles.
I am really surprised that the rear hasn't sold. Many people interested but only one offer and it was for a D2 so it wouldn't fit. Probably the economy...

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
axle