Current headliner and side panel options? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 12th, 2007, 02:53 AM
PCRover
Gary Young
'94 90ST -> SW

Current headliner and side panel options?

I have a 94 ST converted to a SW by a previous owner and the top has no panels or liners. What are my options for a headliner and side panels? LaSalle is not responding to my emails and has no apparent US distributer? Are the factory pieces still avaialble?
Advertisement

Old June 12th, 2007, 11:59 AM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
I would take it to a local upholster shop, the more mom and pop type shop the better in my experience. First I would Dynomat the ceiling, I used a Dynomat type material that I bought at a local hardware store. It was a fraction of the price and it reduced noise and heat considerably. I put the stuff on the door panels, bulkhead, trans tunnel cover, seat box and floorboards. Made a huge difference. Even lined my hood, excuse me, bonnet , with it. The stuff i used is called Peel and Seel or Peel and Stick, cant remember exactly but it is used in construction on roofs in cold climates.
Old June 12th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Kevin,
I remember you mentioning this in some earlier threads, but that was when you were just doing it. Now that you have had it on some time, any tradeoffs you can think of? how does it hold up to extremes? Any smells (asphalt based I believe)?

I'm going to buy a gallon of Second Skin Firewall, and paint the hell out my bulkhead and seats (both sides, very soon, as well as the underside of the bonnet, and door insides. Interested in the prospect of your recommended peel and seal for the roof however. Your thoughts? Do you have a diesel? If so, how much of a difference did it make?

Oh and Gary, I have a LaSalle. I found them to be very nice people. Like all UK retailers however, I find they are all immediately accessible and responsive to phone, but they all seem to be consistently slow to emails. You might want to just call them. The LaSalle headliners are superior to OEM, as they are fiberglass, not fabric.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 12th, 2007, 12:18 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
I don't have a diesel but my carbed 3.5 which is fairly noisy. The Peel and Seal is holding up very well. I have used it in 110 degree heat in Death Valley and in the snow and it has performed flawlessly. No asphalt smell. I think there may have been a little off gassing smell initially that disappeared in a few days after installation but there is no smell now even in high heat and it holds up great under the hood. I also have a fiberglass quilted blanket that I attached to the firewall inside the engine compartment, this cut out heat transfer to the firewall almost completely and really cut down on noise. I also ceramic coated the manifolds, supposedly cuts heat by quite a bit but hard to tell.
Old June 12th, 2007, 12:20 PM
PCRover
Gary Young
'94 90ST -> SW

What did you put over the peal and seal, or did yo uleave it exposed?
Old June 12th, 2007, 12:24 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCRover
What did you put over the peal and seal, or did yo uleave it exposed?
The peel and seel on the ceiling is still exposed, it's aluminum on the exposed side to reflect heat so it's kinda ugly right now. I plan on taking it to the upholsterer one of these days but for now it is doing a good job all by itself.
Old June 12th, 2007, 12:30 PM
PCRover
Gary Young
'94 90ST -> SW

Thanks for the info. I live in a nice warm climate so our local bulding supply stores have nothing like that in stock. I may just do dynamat then take it to a shop for a headliner if there isn't any other option available.
Old June 12th, 2007, 12:36 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCRover
Thanks for the info. I live in a nice warm climate so our local bulding supply stores have nothing like that in stock. I may just do dynamat then take it to a shop for a headliner if there isn't any other option available.

I had to special order the stuff. I bought 100 sq ft for $89. That is enough to do my entire truck with plenty left over.
Old June 12th, 2007, 02:58 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander
The LaSalle headliners are superior to OEM, as they are fiberglass, not fabric.
Hi Mark-

Can you post a picture of your La Salle install? I'm still on the fence in regards to reupholstering my original or buying the La Salle.

Thanks!

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Old June 12th, 2007, 03:14 PM
PCRover
Gary Young
'94 90ST -> SW

Where can you buy a La Salle from ?
Old June 12th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I'll get some pics and post shortly. I'm overdue on several pics due to a newborn in my household.

Gary,
I ordered my La Salle direct from La Salle when I purchased my engine conversion kit from M&D in the UK. I had it shipped to M&D and they slipped it in the crates with the engine. If you buy from La Salle direct and have them ship to US, they ship by air to your nearest intl airport. The headliners aren't that heavy so shipping isn't that expensive.

http://freespace.virgin.net/lasalle.trim/

p.s. they have inner door trim too, that are cheaper than the factory inner door trims. great for series, but as they are fiberglass, and not the vacuum formed vinyl like the factory, they are a bit more flimsier than the OEM trims. Easier to recolor, more space in the door, also have built in speaker recess, but doesn't have that soft touch like OEM. keep that in mind if you are considering them. They could probably do with something to give them a more solid feel.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions