Curious knocking noise - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 27th, 2005, 02:47 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Angry Curious knocking noise

We're talking discovery 1 here but the drive train's the same
What the problem is:-
A knocking sound directly related to road speed, 2 knocks per wheel revolution, I marked the tyre and counted the knocks.
What I've checked:- oil levels in the transfer box and axles, wheel bearing play.
I've jacked up each corner of the car and ran the engine for a short period with the car in gear and can't reproduce the knock so then I tried gently applying the brakes to introduce some load. still no knocking noise. I've jacked up each side, two wheels off the ground and run the engine in 1 st & 2nd with and without the diff lock engaged, still no noise. I jacked diagonally opposite corners, ran the engine as above still no noise. I'm stumped, don't want to strip down axles 'cause the noise seems to be coming from the middle of the truck but noise can transfer itself in curious ways. To my mind two knocks per wheel revolution would rule out anything further up the drive train than the diffs which are 3.54:1, the knock is at too slow a frequency. I'll probably end up striping an axle but which one?
Is the problem in the axles?
Any input would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 27th, 2005, 09:17 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Checked the u-joints and greased both them and the driveshafts?

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old March 27th, 2005, 11:59 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Remove one driveshaft at a time and drive. My guess it is actually a U-Joint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 27th, 2005, 02:29 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
I'll grease the drive shafts and drain the oil out of the diffs and see if anything sparkley comes out. I hate removing props, one got jammed once then came off suddenly and I caught it with my face, had the world"s fattest lip for about a week, kind of sore I can tell you.
I checked the oil in the transfer box, nothing sparkley in there, so that's a relief.
The Discovery is a pain to work on compared to the 90 & 110, can't high lift jack it, can't rip the floor out for easy access and there are more wires than you can shake a stick at when it comes to an electrical problem!
233000 miles and still clonking along
Old March 28th, 2005, 07:06 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Well it's sorted.... the bloody wheel nuts were starting to back off
Driver's side front were only hand tight and the wheel was starting to move on the hub enough to polish the hub but not enough movement to be detectable when rocking the wheel to check the bearings. something to add to the weekly checks - are the wheels on tight?
Old March 29th, 2005, 02:01 PM
EnduroPro
Stephen LeBlanc
1994 Defender 90

Sorry I didn't read this earlier. The same thing happened to me last summer. I was sure it was the U-joint but it turned out to be a loose wheel!

-Steve
Old March 29th, 2005, 06:09 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Well I was all set to rebuild the transmission & the axles , scary how I always jump to the worst case scenario
On the plus side, during all the time I'd set asside to rebuild all of the above I rebuilt the rear wiper motor and that worked brilliantly the shaft had siezed into the wiper motor body and everything ground to a halt
So all thats left to do is weld up the rust perforations in the rear of the chassis, replace the springs & shocks
and it'll be just like new ... PROPER JOB!!!!( said loudly with a west country accent)

Thanks for the helpful suggestions

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions