Curing mud tire uneven wear - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 11th, 2013, 10:10 AM
winn442
Winn Bearden

Registry
Curing mud tire uneven wear

Thought I would share this with y'all, as I know that everyone who runs aggressive treaded tires have run into this at one time or another.....

As you know, no matter how dilligent you are in rotating or maintaining tire pressure, tires with aggressive tread start wearing unevenly, causing roaring, vibration, and generally a shitty riding truck.

A friend of mine who is a third generation tire shop/towing guy, has a machine his grandfather invented back in the 50's. Back then, the steel wheels weren't 100% true and centered, and tire mold technology didn't produce tires that were completely round. His grandfather solved this by inventing a machine that that actually spun the tire on the vehicle and "trued", or shaved the high spots on the tire making it truly round. These machines rarely get used nowadays because tire and wheel technology has improved and everything is true and round.

Back when I sold tires several years ago, had a customer who ordered a new set of mud terrain tires for his truck. His old ones didn't have many miles, but were never rotated so they were severely cupped. I needed a set on a Rover I had, but couldn't afford any, so I put that used set on. Could barely drive it. I talked my friend into blowing the dust off the machine and truing the tires. From looking at the shavings on the ground it looked like most of the tire was shaved off, but the tread looked brand new, and the truck drove like it had brand new tires!

The 35" Kelly Safari TSR's I'm running now have about 15k on them, and were starting to roar. Talked him into shaving them, and now it's like I have a new set of tires!

These machines were marketed back in the 50's and 60's called the Amermac (Americus Machine Company) Tire Truer. If you can find an old school tire shop with one, you can save those old tires you were going to throw away!
Advertisement

Old April 11th, 2013, 10:14 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Good to know! On a side note, do you know if a steel wheel that is slightly warped can be made true again?

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old April 11th, 2013, 10:26 AM
winn442
Winn Bearden

Registry
I've had success with a BFH about 50% of the time.....find someone with a balancer that'll let you spin the bare wheel, you can then spot the warped spots easily and try to beat it back true and then see how out of balance the bare wheel is....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
mud, tire