Defender Source Forum banner

Cummins in a defender

Tags
defender
100K views 356 replies 83 participants last post by  Uncle Douglas 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi Doug,
Thought you might like to see the latest project, 110 DCPU with I6 6.7 24V Cummins running a 400hp/1200 Nm map...

Cheers,
Andrew Diamond

Attachments

See less See more
#11 ·
15 odd years ago we where fitting V8 GM diesels as it was the thing then in the UK, now the new rage is Cummins engines.

Check out any UK LR site, also there is a Facebook for Land Rover Cummins installs

#15 ·
Taken from fb

Attachments

#16 ·
"Its a ZF S5-42 5 speed with an internally beefed up 1:1.003 ratio transfer box and bespoke ceramic clutch. Running an air compressor and tank so keeps the ZF air assisted clutch, all defenders should have that!
Currently looking at possibility of going auto with the Aisin 6 speed from a newish Ram truck."

#20 · (Edited)
6.7 would be awesome. Quieter than a 300TDI and 4 times the power.

More info:

The UK guys that have done this swap are using the ZF trans since they come in DAF trucks with the Cummins engines. One of the guys builds a conversion kit that adapts to the LT230. The ZF/6BT uses a weird clutch bellhousing that's huge. I am using an NV4500 (as is 16kpsi) and it seems to fit in there better, but the ZF is a really nice trans.

#30 ·
You can't use the stock steering box on a LHD. P38 Range Rover steering box works.

#26 ·
#31 ·
I have been looking into the 6.7 12V for a while now--it just doesn't make sense to me in the 90 unless it is for a rock specific machine. Too short a wheel base, too tall and too heavy an engine. too many things I would have to change. I personally think it is best suited to the longer wheelbase of the 110, but still a shoehorn fit.

#32 ·
Info on the Cummins ISF

I know the marketing guy at Cummins who is running their ISF program, we've gotten to know each other while working on the launch of our Nissan Titan XD with the Cummins 5.0L V8. They are just kicking-off a crate motor program with the 2.8L ISF and he is very interested in the Defender market (among others.)

This is a really nice motor for something the size of a 90 or 110. I've drive it in a Nissan Frontier with both a ZF 8HP and a 6-speed manual (I think an Aisin, it was the stock Frontier trans) and the thing rocks.

Cummins will be at Overland East for those who want a close look. I think they will probably bring one of the Frontiers with the ISF.

If any of you are interested, PM me and I'll get you contact details.

Cheers,

CARL

#39 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.