Cruching clicking sounds Front wheels! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 9th, 2014, 03:08 PM
haydnbradfield
Haydn Bradfield
2000 Defender td5

Cruching clicking sounds Front wheels!

Hi
Been hearing loud cruching and clicking noises from my front wheels once per revolution when I turn, worse the more I stear but not as bad when I free wheel and turn with out using the accelerator. Trying to place it but have a strong feeling it may be my CV joints or wheel bearings
Still a rookie with my defender so help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 9th, 2014, 03:26 PM
haydnbradfield
Haydn Bradfield
2000 Defender td5

Thanks Jeff
Whats the best plan of action to start mending this issue.
Old July 9th, 2014, 03:32 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Go buy some swivel grease STC3435, one for each side.
Remove the fill plug, at the top of the swivel (thats the shiny bit on the inside of the wheel hub).
Now remove the max level plug. Open one swivel grease sachet and empty it in until grease starts to come out the fill plug. When that happens, stop and put the both plugs back in.
Repeat for other side.
Now take a look at both sides. Is there evidence of leakage from the swivels? If yes, then its time to take it in and have the seal replaced.

http://www.landroverclub.net/Club/HT...velHousing.htm

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 9th, 2014, 04:11 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
he really needs to pull a hub off and inspect it. if there are broken bits from CV's, Axle spines or bearings, he's been lucky that none of them have caught up in turning gears, but he's at risk of having his steering jammed from a bit in the wrong place at an inconvenient time.
'
Bearing are easy to rule in or out by jacking the wheel up and checking hub for play.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old July 9th, 2014, 05:28 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Check to make sure that you have grease or oil in the hub first... Then jack the truck up and slowly spin the wheel while listening to and feeling for problems. If you find a problem, take the wheel off and start to disassemble the hub. You will need the hub tool and and possibly a new/used CV.

BTW, Molly grease is cheaper and basically the same thing... I have been using this for years.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions