crower cam not fitting - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 5th, 2005, 08:41 AM
vesparover
brian bertolini

crower cam not fitting

Hey everyone I purchased a crower cam for a buick 215 (rover 3.9) from d&d. The journals on the stock cam were much smaller than the ones on the crower. Mark from d&d said that it was definately the right cam for the rover motor. His father said he'd only seen this happen a couple of times in thirty years. So has anyone had this happen or am I just really lucky?
Brian Bertolini
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 5th, 2005, 12:01 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I still have the stock cam but do you have a pair of calipers that you can use to measure the 2? I have a cam out and calipers at home that I can measure mine.
Old July 5th, 2005, 01:06 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

They are tapered--silly, but are you checking the same end-to-end?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 5th, 2005, 03:33 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

Brian I just installed a Crower cam. Mine fit perfect. What springs did you go with.
Old July 5th, 2005, 06:38 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I also just installed mine without any issues. Runs great. What part number did you get--it should either be the 50227 or 50229
Old July 5th, 2005, 09:03 PM
vesparover
brian bertolini

It was noticably smaller by eye and by measurement definately smaller on the journals. The cam can only go in one way so I know that's not the problem. D&D said that it has happened before where the motor is actually the problem, and the cam needs to be ground to fit. But they've only seen it maybe twice in 30 years!
Just wondering if it has ever happened to anyone else. It was the 5229 one I believe.
Brian
Old July 5th, 2005, 09:53 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Cam bearings are replaceable, and it sounds like yours were for oversized bearings and they ground down the cam. Hmmmm, strange, uncommon, but possible. This sounds like something that would happen to me! Has anyone here replaced cam bearings? I replaced my crank bearings with oversize, but that is because I wanted to make sure my used crank was true so I had it ground. Funny to do that to a cam.....
Old July 5th, 2005, 10:11 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

You shouldn't ever have to use oversized cam bearings, since you generally replace the cam too, and that replaces all of the wear surfaces.

This is an odd situation.

Maybe give D&D another call and find out what the measurement is supposed to be, maybe you got a mis-ground cam? I suggest finding out the tolerances, measuring all the associated parts, so that we can figure out which part is the incorrectly sized one.

And, sorry to sound dumb here, but it's definitely a 3.9 Rover, correct? No previous engine swaps or rebuilds that you are aware of?

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old July 6th, 2005, 08:22 AM
vesparover
brian bertolini

Everything was unmolested and stock(3.9). All I can say is I wasn't very happy to have ripped my whole engine apart and then the cam was a no go.
Brian
Old July 6th, 2005, 09:50 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

can you take the cam bearing diameter measurements and post them?
Old July 17th, 2005, 10:50 PM
vesparover
brian bertolini

Hi everyone, ends up crower shipped out a batch of cams that were not machined correctly. I got my replacement installed today with no hangups. Is there a pic anywhere at the reassembly of all the ancillaries. I'm having trouble remembering the order of assembly and where all the brackets go.
Thanks
Brian Bertolini
Old July 18th, 2005, 11:32 PM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

brian if you need help on the brackets pm me

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions