Defender Source Forum banner

Creaks and Groans

2K views 15 replies 3 participants last post by  Mike Hippert 
#1 ·
I have been noticing more sounds coming from the rear end. (Mine too!)
I am at 92K and I doubt the shocks/springs have ever been replaced. Is it time?
Also, how do you grease the rear drop arm ball joint - zerk?
Graciasz.
MM

#2 ·
I think if you got 92k out of your original shocks you are doing pretty good. I would replace them if they don't work as good as they used to. You can test them by pushing on the bumper and then releasing. It should not bounce more that once and should not make any noise.

If the springs look good and are not sagging then I would say you are fine.

If the drop arm?? Not sure?? but if it has a zerk then I would put some fresh grease in it. But if not I think it is sealed.

PS if you are going to lift the 90 at all you may want to wait to do the shocks then as you will need longer shocks depending on the lift.

My 90 has over 100k and the only sounds coming from the rear end would be the springs poping in and out of the dislocation cones.

#3 ·
Thanks Mike,
I will run the test.
Maybe it's just the cold weather and the fact that I put the roof rack back on and took the seats and carpet out. It sounds like there is a lot going on though.
I thought it was way over due for both. We'll see.

I seem to remember some maintenance on the rear ball joint, but I felt up underneath there and couldn't find any fittings.
Has anyone been there?
Peace.

#6 ·
Fox Shocks are $$$ ($200 per shock I think) but they are good. I think depending on the lift you could go with 14" travel shocks in the rear. I am pretty sure they all mount the same way using the stock mounting bolts. If you get them shipped they will need to be charged as they cannot be shipped charged.

#8 ·
I did a google search and found a place in Cali that had them when I bought mine.

Funny everyone tells me I have a nice Jeep. I also get waved at by all the jeepers. But I don't mind when they are of the female species.

#10 ·
Thanks Mike.
I was shaking my rig around like you said. It does not seem as firm as it should be. It takes a second or two to settle after a minimal flex. I had it packed to the gills when I moved and it was super unstable to drive. I think that might have done the trick.
Fox - I guess the non-coil overs go on the rear and the coil-overs to the front? I found a couple places that have them. I guess I will try and call. I figure I can buy one-per-month!

#12 ·
Mike,

It might be a good idea to call and talk to somebody before making any purchases on shocks. You have gotten some bad info and it seems like there is still a few questions that you should get answered. 14in Travel will not fit the rear or front of your truck with the stock shock mounts and height. Way to long. Coilovers are not what you want at all and for the cheapest Fox coilovers including the springs you are looking at $450 a shock minimum and totally custom mounts into your engine bay. You need to find out if you are interested in remote resivoir or standard as well. Fox are very good but from what you are talking about I would highly recommend that you go with a Rancho cheapy and save your money for the lift. Once you raise the rear shock mount with a lift kit you will have to get new shocks. If not you will bottom the hell out of those things. I know you might be blinded by the bling of Fox but you will not be happy.

#13 ·
Mike, what are your plans down the road for a lift and shocks? If it is not to far off you may want to wait and do it all at the same time. That way you can get the correct lenght shocks for the lift, and find out anything else that you need to know for the lift. For example if your driveshafts are going to be ok if you do a mega lift, or if you will be needing longer brake lines.

Oh, I only said 14" in the rear with a lift, I did not mean to imply that you should put 14" shocks on with no lift...... although I have seen worse. And I did not know that Mike was thinking about coil overs, I was referring to only Fox non coil overs as that is what I have up front. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

#14 ·
I would like to keep the suspension somewhat "tight". I do not want to remove sway bars etc. I know it's not a race car, but thats kinda the style I want. I do take it off road, and it kicks ass for what I use it for most of the time - unmaintained dirt roads and access to backcountry. I like the idea of an adjustable/rebuildable shock like the Fox, and they do look pretty hype. I just thought I could spend the extra cash to swap some with the stock for now, in case I decide to lift, etc. later, I would have something to work with (even temporarily).

#15 · (Edited)
If I could make a suggestion. The Fox shocks are just a little more than you need based on what you described. You really do not need to adjust for custom use unless you are pushing that vehicle to the limit. I would really suggest that you just buy an Old man emu 1.5in lift kit. Comes with shocks and you can retain the sway bars and a stiffer ride to satisfy your needs. Cheap too. The Foxes are really made for custom applications put under high stress. 90% of rover owners do not need them. Save some money and have the lift now if you want to go to 33's or 35's in the future.

#16 ·
I probably don't need Fox, but I broke the both front ranchos I had on during there second wheeling trip and did not want to have to wory about it again. So I found the something that is overkill (the way I like to go if I can afford it) and don't worry about it any more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.