Crazy Rattling Noise From Exhaust/Underneath - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 25th, 2008, 05:49 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Crazy Rattling Noise From Exhaust/Underneath

First I will tell you that it has been colder than a witches tit here the past week so I have not had a chance to crawl under Grover to try and pinpoint this noise. All of a sudden last week I started getting a rattling noise from underneath, in the area directly under the passengers, more on the right side. It does not do it when the vehicle is cold, only once it has warmed up. It won't make the noise at idle. The only time it makes this kinda hollow rattling noise is when I accellerate, say between 1500 and 2500 rpm (est). It almost sounds something like a piece of metal tapping on the exhaust. It will make this noise while in neutral, so no tranny or tcase issues. I would think if it was a stuck valve or lifter it would make the noise when cold and go away after warming up...

With this vague description, does anyone have any ideas?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 25th, 2008, 07:09 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Time for some new cats. Honycomb breaking up inside the catalytic (sp?) converter. Fix it before it clogs up solid makes the exhaust redder than hot and burns the truck to the ground.

or it could just be something metal banging against the exhaust

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old January 25th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
2nd that, it's the cats alright, been there done that. Easy fix though that any old muffler shop can do. If you want some good sound, consider going ahead and doing a Flowmaster muffler while they are under there. I have 40 series and love it. It has a nice growl, but not obnoxious.
Advertisement

Old January 25th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Cats. I replaced mine about 3 months ago. Flowmaster universal cats, got off amazon for about $60/each and had my muffler shop install them. Oddly, amazon was the cheapest place I could find anywhere, including shipping...
Old January 25th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Wow, thanks guys! I already have a new NRP muffler and exhaust. I will replace the cats with some Flowmasters. I am glad it should just be something simple like the cats.....

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis
Cats. I replaced mine about 3 months ago. Flowmaster universal cats, got off amazon for about $60/each and had my muffler shop install them. Oddly, amazon was the cheapest place I could find anywhere, including shipping...
Any idea what the part number was?

Follow-up Post:

Did you mean Magnaflow Universal Cats #94004?

Semper Fi!
Old January 25th, 2008, 08:08 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I was thinking about those Magnaflows since I already have a muffler and I like it. If I hit the muffler I can hear something in there i think it parts of my cats. Could any increase in power/economy be expected from those magnaflow cats??
Old January 26th, 2008, 02:51 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Yeah, I was thinking of those magnaflows...thanks!
Old February 9th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Just as a follow-up, I replaced both Cats with some Magnaflows and the noise is gone!

Semper Fi!
Old February 9th, 2008, 06:50 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
do you have part numbers for the Magnaflow cats? What muffler do you have?
Old February 9th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Magnaflow Universal Cats #94004. However, I would do some research to find ones that are 2" ID versus 2"OD. It would have been so much easier to slip them on and weld them versus butt-welding them.

I am running NRP exhaust.

Semper Fi!
Old February 10th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Get a 2" ID sleeve--makes life easy. Or just cut two 3" pieces of 2" ID tubing.
Old February 10th, 2008, 11:57 AM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Rescue
Magnaflow Universal Cats #94004. However, I would do some research to find ones that are 2" ID versus 2"OD. It would have been so much easier to slip them on and weld them versus butt-welding them.

I am running NRP exhaust.
Is your tubing into and out of the cats offset on one side (I think its the passenger side)? If so how did your muffler shop get around this b/c my shop says that they need to redo the whole system? I think they are screwing with me?

Did yo also replace your O2 sensors?
Old February 10th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis
Get a 2" ID sleeve--makes life easy. Or just cut two 3" pieces of 2" ID tubing.
Yeah, crappy auto parts places were out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmccallum
Is your tubing into and out of the cats offset on one side (I think its the passenger side)? If so how did your muffler shop get around this b/c my shop says that they need to redo the whole system? I think they are screwing with me?

Did yo also replace your O2 sensors?
My passenger side did have an offset cat, meaning the exhaust entered towards the top (when viewed from the side) and existed towards the bottom. That should not make any difference when installing a cat with centered entrance and exits. I welded my own, but any reputable muffler should should be able to make them work.

I did not replace the O2 sensors, but should have.

Semper Fi!
Old February 10th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I did not replace my O2 sensors. Probably should, but at the same time, I have no indicator that they are going bad. Question is if the Cats went bad due to the O2 sensors or if they just wore out--just don't know. Does anyone have a check for this? I have no codes thrown...
Old April 6th, 2009, 07:12 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I can hear the DS cat rattling around. I have a code 44. I hope to get it replaced this week.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
exhaust