Crankshaft Pulley bolt removal - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 12th, 2006, 09:27 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Crankshaft Pulley bolt removal

How do you get that thing off. Do I need to go buy a special tool to keep it from ratating while I turn the bolt?

I have the workshop book out and it just says remove the bolt, duh. Is it RH or LH thread?

Thanks,

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 12th, 2006, 09:53 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I've never pulled a rover one, but on the toyota I got a 2x4 and bored a hole through it to access the bolt. I then bolted the 2x4 to the pulley using the fan bolts. The 2x4 jams up agains the chassis and the crank pulley bolt usually comes right out.
Old May 12th, 2006, 10:09 PM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

Assuming the engine is still attached to a transmission:

Manual transmission should hold the crankshaft steady for you when in gear.

With an automatic, one way, but probably not the only way, is to pretend you are removing the bolts fixing the drive plate to the torque converter; but instead of using the crankshaft bolt to hold the flywheel steady, hold the flywheel steady with one of the drive plate's bolts, which will keep the crank pulley steady.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 12th, 2006, 10:17 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael
Assuming the engine is still attached to a transmission:

Manual transmission should hold the crankshaft steady for you when in gear.

With an automatic, one way, but probably not the only way, is to pretend you are removing the bolts fixing the drive plate to the torque converter; but instead of using the crankshaft bolt to hold the flywheel steady, hold the flywheel steady with one of the drive plate's bolts, which will keep the crank pulley steady.

It is sitting on an engine stand n my garage. I will attempt the 2x4 method next week.
Old May 12th, 2006, 10:38 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

That bolt is torqued down at around 200lb/ft or so, which is close to the torque rating of the engine. So in gear you WILL move the truck if you aren't careful. Those bolts are always a pain in the ass, no matter what they are on. I don't know if the harmonic balance is supposed to be pressed fit or not on these engines, but mine didn't need a puller to take off or re-install after the bolt was removed.

Last time I took mine out, I ended up putting the truck in gear and engaged the parking brake (manual tranny). Then I looped an old fan belt around the pully and I think the alternator mount, and used a wrench to twist the belt as tight as I could. Then I took a breaker bar, with a 3 foot length of pipe to extend it, and gave that bolt a quick whack to loosen it up.

Oh, and I believe it's RH thread.

-Hans

Follow-up Post:

Oh, I didn't realize it was on a stand in the garage. That is easier. Bolt a 2x4 or long piece of metal to the back side of the engine either on the flywheel or back end of the crankshaft where the flywheel attaches. Make it a couple feet long and strong, since that is a beastly amount of torque on that bolt.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old May 12th, 2006, 11:07 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

I feel like I'm missing something here...
It should take about 5 seconds with a 1/2" impact wrench. Lefty loosey.

Am I missing something?
Not trying to be a smartass, but I haven't had trouble with one.
Old May 12th, 2006, 11:24 PM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

i with rod- i could not budge mine-then i picked up an impact wrench the next day came right off.left is loose.
Old May 12th, 2006, 11:25 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Not all of us have 1/2" impact wrenches :-)
By hand, they are a whole different animal, since you are turning them so slow that you end up rotating the whole crankshaft.

-Hans

Old May 13th, 2006, 12:42 AM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Hayward

Am I missing something?
I have not tried the impact wrench yet. Dont know why I will give it a go.

Follow-up Post:

Just tried the 1/2 impact wrench with no success. It is lefty loosey, right? It's not a reverse thread?

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdh
i with rod- i could not budge mine-then i picked up an impact wrench the next day came right off.left is loose.
Impact wrench aint budging it

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Hayward

Am I missing something?
Got it with the impact wrench but it took alot longer than I thought, it was on there good. Thanks. I dont know why I didnt use it before. I guess I was thinking the damn thing was made of glass or something Oh well thanks again. Got it all stripped down.
Old May 13th, 2006, 02:16 AM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

kevin-now that i think about it-it didnt come right off like any other bolt -with an impact ,had to hold the trigger on the impact down for around 10 seconds or so(to give time to beat it loose).if it makes you fill any better i took my entire truck apart and didnt think of an impact untill i was almost done.that would have really saved some time
Old May 13th, 2006, 02:30 AM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Quote:
kevin-now that i think about it-it didnt come right off like any other bolt -with an impact ,had to hold the trigger on the impact down for around 10 seconds or so(to give time to beat it loose).if it makes you fill any better i took my entire truck apart and didnt think of an impact untill i was almost done.that would have really saved some time
I noticed under your name you have a pastel green 90. Got a picture of it? Thanks again for your help.
Old May 13th, 2006, 07:55 AM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
Not all of us have 1/2" impact wrenches :-)
By hand, they are a whole different animal, since you are turning them so slow that you end up rotating the whole crankshaft.

-Hans
Sorry, Hans. Good point...

But, you know, if you'd quit dickin' around and move out here to Colorado you could use mine.

Old May 13th, 2006, 11:05 AM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

i plan on posting more and better quality pics when i am done with it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00385.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	5646  
Old May 13th, 2006, 12:22 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Rod: I know, I know..... I'm tryin man! Might have an interview next week, but not holding my breath. But then again, if I ever get out of living in an apartment and get a place with a garage on it, I have a compressor in storage already. Then maybe you can come over when you need to use the lathe. (also in storage, both in mom's garage about 20 minutes away.)

-Hans

Old May 13th, 2006, 12:24 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Quote:
i plan on posting more and better quality pics when i am done with it
Yours is a little lighter I think than mine. I think mine is not a true pastel green. Yours looks real sharp. Nice job.
Old May 13th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Damn, Hans...
You Have a lathe?

Now I'm jelous!!!!

Old November 1st, 2006, 03:29 PM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

Just did this on my 95 manual with the advice from a friend (Thanks a ton Rich). I put the breaker bar and socket on it, then used my highlift jack handle as a cheater bar and wedged it into the garage floor. Then with the truck in neutral I turned her over for about a split second. Took two tries and the bolt was loose. I did spray the crap out of it with PB Blaster and made sure everyone was clear before doing it.

Yes, could be damaging/dangerous. Worked for me though. This way I didn't have to remove the rad to make room for an impact wrench.

If you are crazy and do try this, remember the engine cranks clockwise as you are looking at the front end and wedge the cheater bar so it on the right side as you're looking at it (driver's side). Screw this up and your in for a wild ride.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
crankshaft, pulley