Cranking/Running Problems - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 6th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Landy1
Justin Simmons
97/d90

Cranking/Running Problems

I have a 97 defender 90. It sometimes has problems cranking. It fires and acts like it is going to start but seems to not be getting fuel. Sometimes you can wait a day or so and it will crank. I replaced the fuel filter and fuel pump and still have problems. Also, sometimes it goes dead when driving and stopping the vehicle. It putters out like it ran out of fuel when the vehicle is idling. You can attempt to restart it but seems like it is out of fuel. Any advice on what the problem coud be? Thanks, Justin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 6th, 2009, 07:06 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
Can you hear the fuel pump when you turn the key one click?
Old January 6th, 2009, 07:07 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

For the no start, can you hear the fuel pump buzzing when you first turn the key to the On position?

Fuel pump plug connection may be corroded. (Is your fuel guage still working when cranking it?) Inertia Fuel shut off switch is another possible trouble spot. Check stepper motor for the idle probs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 6th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Landy1
Justin Simmons
97/d90

I can't hear the fuel pump cut on after one click (and never have been able too - I guess I have bad hearing). Anyway I did replace the fuel pump and it ran fine for like 2 months. Then it sputtered dead at the red light. The fuel guage does bouce around though and does not read like it should. Why is that? My check engine light is not on and I don't think it threw any codes. Do you think it could be a crank sensor or a cam sensor?
Old January 6th, 2009, 09:47 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
I think it's more likely something simple like one (or both) fuel pump/ECU relays gone bad. Check to make sure all the related fuses are okay. Then I would try replacing the relays. You should be able to hear the relays click, and the fuel pump subsequently prime for a couple seconds, when the key is turned to the on position.
Old January 6th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Sounds like Garth might be onto it with the connector. They are in a filthy place and LR never did too much to protect the wiring in these trucks from corrosion. If it is a crank or cam sensor it should throw a code...plus, I think it will go into a limp mode and still drive (I know the Bosch engines do).

Good call Mike, the relays can be troublesome too.
Old January 6th, 2009, 11:30 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Never heard of relays going bad on a 1997. I would think wiring to the pump or something else not fuel related.
Old January 7th, 2009, 04:56 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherpamike
Then I would try replacing the relays.
I'd consider checking the other things first. Fuel pump relay on a '97 is not the same as '94-'95. The '97 is a multi-function relay that mounts under the bonnet, and is about 4 times the cost of the '94-'95 version, (according to a quick price check on the AB site).

Regarding original poster's question about the fuel guage; it's sometimes helpful in a no start situation when trying to figure out if the fuel pump plug end itself is corroded. There are 4 wires that run to the plug connecting to fuel pump: Purple/White is fuel pump power; Green is fuel guage power, and two Black ground wires.

If all of a sudden there is no power to the pump or the fuel guage, and the other usual suspects (fuses, inertia switch, relay, etc) check out; it could be the plug end itself, or a wiring gremlin somewhere along the line.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 02:48 PM
hutch
Hutch
97 AA Yellow D90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GYM
I'd consider checking the other things first. Fuel pump relay on a '97 is not the same as '94-'95. The '97 is a multi-function relay that mounts under the bonnet, and is about 4 times the cost of the '94-'95 version, (according to a quick price check on the AB site).
My 1997 won't start now either. It cranks over and wants to but it seems like it's choking for gas.

I don't hear the fuel pump when I turn the key to start (I usually hear it pressure-up for a number of seconds) but fuel comes out when I release the valve next to the injectors with the key turned. Could that just be residual pressure?

My wife was the last to drive it (!!!) and parked the truck. When she went to start it again no luck.

I replaced the 6 relays under the dash (next to the OBDII socket) one by one using a new one. I found that there were 2 types of relays there and I managed to find the 2 types at a local auto store.

Garth you mentioned another relay - a multi-function relay. Where is that located and where can I buy a replacement do you know? I did not try that one. I'm assuming it's nearthe firewall somewhere?

Hutch

UPDATE: I just found another thread and apparently it's on the passenger side in the engine compartment in a white box. It was hot as hell in the sun where the truck won't start so I didn't hang out before heading home. The part is YWB100820LG and looks like it's about 100 bucks. Before I go out and get this shipped to me can someone confirm that this sounds like it might be the culprit (assuming it's NOT the relays inside the truck)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
problems