Crank shaft pulley - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 1st, 2005, 06:00 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Crank shaft pulley

Is there a trick to getting it off? I put it in gear to keep the engine from turning but the impact wrench isn't doing anything? Is it reverse thread on the 4.0s? It looks to be normal judging by the rotation of the engine?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 1st, 2005, 06:55 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Mike,
It is right hand thread...torqued to about 200lb/ft. I have an engine turning tool for a cummins diesel that I hold the pulley with while using a really big breaker bar to loosen the bolt. As a last resort, you can always drop the pan and wedge a block of wood between the crank and th block.
Rob
Old April 1st, 2005, 11:41 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Yep, he's correct. I used about a 3 foot extension of pipe on a 3/4" drive breaker bar to both take it off and put it on (my torque wrench only went to 160 lb/ft, so it's at least more than that).

Also, you'll probably move the truck unless you have the parking brake on.... even then you might STILL move the truck. I used an old serpentine belt, looped it around the alternator mount, and twisted it tight like q tourinquet.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 1st, 2005, 11:42 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

You may have one of the gorilla tight models. With added corrosion. Get a real impact and some air behind it. It will give.

JP

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old April 1st, 2005, 11:56 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I second what Pendy says--I have a strong impact gun (one of the original IR "Rolling Thunder" models" and a big compressor and it is no problem. The reason why I say this is that this is just one more reason why you NEED a big compressor, or rather you need a big EXCUSE to justify getting one! I used painting the house as a great reason, although I have yet to paint the house....shhhhhhh, don't tell on me!
Old April 2nd, 2005, 10:44 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Thanks for the ideas guys! I'll try it again!
Old April 2nd, 2005, 12:46 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Well I got the bolt out of both the 3.9 and the 4.0, the bolt in the unmounted 3.9 came out much easier then the 4.0. The pulley on the 4.0 came right off, but it's going to tke some prying to get the 3.9 pulley off. It's soaking in Kroyal right now.
Old April 2nd, 2005, 04:28 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

OK both are apart, the 3.9 and the 4.0. I have not pulled either's cam but I gave a tug on the 3.9 cam and it did not budge.

But I have a little problem, I have 2, 3.9 front covers (both in ruff shape) and 1, 4.0 front cover in pretty nice shape. I would like to keep the serp belt setup with the better oil pump, but I also need to run a distributor. I am thinking that I will bring the 4.0 front cover to a machine shop and have them bore out the hole for the distributor to match the hole in the 3.9 front cover and add the bolt to hold down the distributer. This was an idea of Keith at Rovertracks, and I think it will work; I just need to find a good shop to do the work.
Old April 2nd, 2005, 05:13 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Either that or get a hybrid serpentine/distributor style cover.
If you go that route, you can use any 215 buick style distributor, since you don't have to worry about matching the oil pump shafts.

-Hans

Old April 2nd, 2005, 05:22 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I haven't run across any of those front covers, that was the plan but I figured if I could do this why not. What would be the benifit of any other distributor? Getting an better aftermarket one? I still have the stock one and I'll stick that in to get everything happy for now.
Old April 2nd, 2005, 06:09 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

you can't remove the cam until you lossen the rocker shafts to relieve tension from the lifters. I am not sure you can put one in without taking out the lifters--you probably could if you rotate it just right, but I am not sure. And there is a cam retainer at the block on the front that you have to remove (2 smaller bolts, I believe)
Old April 2nd, 2005, 06:23 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Yeah, you definitely need to pull the lifters, otherwise they can possibly drop down out of their bores, and that means a whole lot of work to get them all out. That's providing you can even get the cam out, which I highly doubt.

-Hans

Old April 3rd, 2005, 12:27 AM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

I don't know what it will cost to get the cover you have machined...but the front cover for a 1994/1995 Disco has an internal pump and a distributor drive hole already machined. Someone's gotta have a spare lying around.
Rob
Old April 3rd, 2005, 01:13 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

ko I guess I just read the parts of the manual I wanted and skipped over the rocker removal, but it's just another step to do right.

Rob I thought the same but there haven't been any that have turned up, but I'll get a price on the work before I have it done.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
pulley