Cracked turbo - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 19th, 2016, 11:59 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongosd2 View Post
He came to the shop with the part and asked to have it installed, and had the work done even after it was recommended by 2 different techs, one from a shop not affiliated, to NOT replace the turbo
Gotta learn how to give the hard "no". Like, real hard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 19th, 2016, 12:02 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
There you go. The OP clearly said "new turbo"..... Silly. I'm assuming the shop also clearly said there would be no warranty on the work before installing a customer supplied used part.

Just pay them to put the original turbo back on.
Yep…that's what I told the shop owner this morning

As for new, shiny yes, in original packing no...no speculating and just posting facts

And am curious as the groups consensus on what is considered a used part...
Old May 19th, 2016, 12:51 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Must....stop....myself....from......responding.... .to....this.......thread....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 19th, 2016, 01:01 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Must....stop....myself....from......responding.... .to....this.......thread....
I'm so glad I stayed out of this one.
But before I go.
The shop could have refused service and told him to take it somewhere else.
Old May 19th, 2016, 01:17 PM
MW469
Marcus Whitaker
1990 defender 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisC View Post
I'm so glad I stayed out of this one.
But before I go.
The shop could have refused service and told him to take it somewhere else.
Sorry I didnt intend to create drama. Just asking for advice. Glad it's providing entertainment. Mike is a pretty nice guy so I'm sure we'll be able to resolve.

Btw the old turbo came out and has lotsof play, and i think anyone who got to wiggle it about would agree it needed to come out.

Sorry if I implied a brand new turbo. New and shiny looking for sure.

I foresee a happy ending here.
Old May 19th, 2016, 01:40 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MW469 View Post
Btw the old turbo came out and has lotsof play, and i think anyone who got to wiggle it about would agree it needed to come out.
You can't tell by wiggling them. You must measure the play and see if it is spec. The lateral play on a plain bearing turbo is quite large and if you are not used to it, it will "feel" extreme.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old May 19th, 2016, 02:04 PM
MW469
Marcus Whitaker
1990 defender 110

I guess I'm adding the wiggle to the loud discordant squeal and coming up with a turbo that in glad I decided to replace.

I also adding up a newly installed turbo that had worked fine for the previous day and was fine yesterday morn to the cracked one i saw after the shop had been tightening the banjo bolt. The crack being right next to the bolt.

Maybe my rights are forfeited because of the unclear status of the part but it seems pretty clear to me what, likely, happened.
Old May 19th, 2016, 02:06 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
A whine is more likely an air leak that was probably fixed when the hoses were removed and reinstalled.

Like I said, feeling play is completely useless unless your are very experienced. You must measure it.

Old May 19th, 2016, 02:19 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

Looking for clarification…not sure what you are saying:

the truck ran fine, then developed the oil leak, or was it leaking from when you picked it up

Quick edit…

So the shop offered a refund of the total bill for the work done, Marcus refused…
Old May 19th, 2016, 03:04 PM
MW469
Marcus Whitaker
1990 defender 110

First - The truck ran fine after the initial install of the 'new' turbo. It was dropping a small amount of oil on my drive so I took it back to be looked at. At this point there was no oil squirting out and now visible crack. See previous pics on my sale.

The tech in the shop said that the banjo bolt was leaking and that he needed time to work it out.

I left and the next i heard the turbo was cracked. By the bolt he had been working on.

Regarding me refusing to take the 'offer of a full refund'

I told mike that i would accept a refund for the work and a 50% contribution to my new (second hand) turbo. He told me to get my credit card. Thats all.

I went off to think about it and came back saying that before I gave my card to the shop I wanted to 'talk about it' more. I wanted to clarify what I was being offered.

The response was: 'there is nothing to talk about'

So that was that.

You misrepresented a conversation you were not present at. I did not close the door on this and said I was still willing to have a conversation.

It was by no means clear to me that I was being offered a full refund.

Holy crap - this is my first online forum experience like this. I'm sorry if I've contributed to a 'flame up'?? Just trying to stick up for the little guy.

Even though it looks pretty likely that the shop caused the crack I'm willing to accept a partial refund on the part.

Not much more to say. Got middle school kids to teach. Less drama!

Marcus
Old May 19th, 2016, 03:23 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The problem is... You supplied a used and non-OEM part. It would have helped to have clear about that to begin with.

If it cracked soon after install or during install, the shop really can't be held responsible. It was a used part. Who knows its condition and whether or not it was seconds away from falling apart. No shop I've ever known would provide any warranty for work or the part on a customer supplied part and certainly not on a used part. They can't be thought to be at fault if it cracked during install.

Old May 19th, 2016, 03:38 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

Nice…
Cliff notes:
You bought a used turbo (which you told me you got for a good price) on EBAY
You were told by 2 afferent techs, one from a diesel repair shop not affiliated, that the turbo does not need to be replaced
You insist to have it replaced
You're told that it's not the same one as what came off the truck and they cannot find a banjo bolt to fit (maybe because that's why it was on EBAY for a "good price)
Shop remedies the problem by tapping the bolt hole.
After a follow up because of a (according to you) a small leak, shop tightens the bolt, but then you drive it and find the casing cracked and a massive leak the next day.

Shop offers to put old turbo back on and refund the full amount of labor for the work done for installing YOUR USED PART. Shop owner tells me that you refused the offer and make some other statements that I won't post here and then proceed to tell him that I'm asshole (maybe not those exact words)

Good luck, you said I was asshole, well if posting the truth translates to being one, I can live with that...
Old May 19th, 2016, 04:02 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Being offered a full refund on the labour was very generous of the shop in this situation. I can't see how they could be expected to offer any refund on the cost of the part based on the details provided. You took your chance with a no-name, used part and lost. Go buy a proper CHRA that was rebuilt by a reputable company with known quality part. They are not expensive and you will have something that works and has a warranty.

Old May 19th, 2016, 04:36 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Quote:
Wow everyone, I was so pissed off when I turned in last night and now look what the morning brings. You guys are awesome.

Thanks for the PM Mike.

The shop seem reluctant to accept responsibility on this. Anyone got any legal ideas? I could get all wildman on them but I'm not as up for a scrap as I used to be.
I would say "get all wildman on them" and let us know how it turns out. Post video if possible.
Old May 19th, 2016, 05:46 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Quote:
Holy crap - this is my first online forum experience like this. I'm sorry if I've contributed to a 'flame up'?? Just trying to stick up for the little guy.

Even though it looks pretty likely that the shop caused the crack I'm willing to accept a partial refund on the part.

Not much more to say. Got middle school kids to teach. Less drama!

Marcus
To be fair Marcus, you are the one creating the "drama" by initially posting far less than the full story from your very first post. Also may I ask you just what "little guy" are sticking up for? As a small business owner it is customers that make you want to throw you hands up and just walk away.

Not quite sure what you came here looking for but I would say the shop was more than fair with you in light of the additional facts you chose to omit.
Old May 19th, 2016, 10:20 PM
MW469
Marcus Whitaker
1990 defender 110

Hey, all i said was that they installed a 'new' turbo. Yea in hindsight i could have said 'new reconditioned' turbo. Maybe that would have made a huge difference to how people responded I don't know. It was not a deliberate attempt to omit.

Lesson learned on both sides here. The shop certainly took my job and claimed after lots of discussion that the job would be doable.

It certainly seems like the bolt was over tightened causing the crack, probably due to a faulty re threading job. The point it moot as it's impossible to know if it was a fault of the unit or the technician. I know which I thought. That's why I brought it up.
Old May 19th, 2016, 11:27 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Any thoughts much appreciated.
Anyone could make a mistake... suggest you be more specific in about 5 points or more:
including the term new means not necessary new to you, but really means new out of the manufacturers box for the first time (1).
Left out of the thread in post 1, is against better judgement: what this means is we (multiple people who obviously knew more than you did) warned you not to do it, and you had your own agenda, and did it against better judgement, if the shoe fits... (2) I hear you Frank!
Excess drama with your own twist (3) We hear you Frank!
A few more excess drama, (4) We, We, We (all the way home) heard Frank!
And Finally Legal Action... WTF
So Wall Mart created a generation of entitled consumers they pampered with a customer is entitled to a no questions asked or answered money back guarantee entitlement that is ingrained into most all USA consumers.
The price of this is Wall Mart ran all the mom and pop small business stores out of business.
Your local automotive repair shop, Marcus is not Wall Mart.
They can't afford to have you come in and buy 10 shirts, wear them, and later return them dirty , used, and torn for a full no questions asked refund.
Nor can they have you supply them with used parts and take on with repair shop guaranteed ownership if some bull shit used part is inoperative...
Welcome to being responsible and accountable for your own misgivings... for, well, everything above (5)... better man up on this one before Star Trek Scotty puts the whole voyage thread into damage control.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old May 20th, 2016, 01:34 AM
MW469
Marcus Whitaker
1990 defender 110

Starting this thread including any more than a request for advice about the JB and arc weld options offered as repair options by the shop was a mistake. Including the details relating to personal dealings the the shop was a mistake.

I don't know any of you guys personally and I'm not sure if you know any of each other off the forum but I do know Frank and Mike. I had beers with them in Tucson a few times. We drink in the same pubs and Tucson is a small town. Frank invited me to play golf didn't you Frank? I've heard his stories about the super bowl.

I heard about the turbo being screwed just before I was supposed to meet a local guy who wanted to buy the truck. I had been told by the shop that it was nothing to do with them and a total coincidence that the crack appeared when and where it did. I felt like a dickhead turning up to see this guy with oil pissing out all over the place. So I was pretty pissed off when I wrote the post, I should have sat down with these guys and not mentioned it on here.
Old May 20th, 2016, 02:25 AM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
Starting this thread including any more than a request for advice about the JB and arc weld options offered as repair options by the shop was a mistake. Including the details relating to personal dealings the the shop was a mistake. I don't know any of you guys personally and I'm not sure if you know any of each other off the forum but I do know Frank and Mike. I had beers with them in Tucson a few times. We drink in the same pubs and Tucson is a small town. Frank invited me to play golf didn't you Frank? I've heard his stories about the super bowl. I heard about the turbo being screwed just before I was supposed to meet a local guy who wanted to buy the truck. I had been told by the shop that it was nothing to do with them and a total coincidence that the crack appeared when and where it did. I felt like a dickhead turning up to see this guy with oil pissing out all over the place. So I was pretty pissed off when I wrote the post, I should have sat down with these guys and not mentioned it on here.
Don't beat your self up over it. At some point in all our lives, most of us do something stupid when under strong emotions.

When my brand new fresh from the factory HS2.8 blew apart, I went apeshit on another forum about the crappy build of the engine.

While a defect was found, it was assumed that that it did not cause the motor failure.

When Pendy tore into the project, he found that the business in Canada that did the install screwed up the whole job. It was a hack install and I was lucky to have made it back home.

I now try to cool off before going all soapbox.
Old May 20th, 2016, 07:17 AM
wanabewheelin
Michael Sword
1989 110 200TDI, RHD

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongosd2 View Post
Nice…
Good luck, you said I was asshole, well if posting the truth translates to being one, I can live with that...
We have a meeting once a month for people like us, third Thursday . . . NoVA Happy Hour!! You're always welcome

Happy Friday biatches!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, rack