Cracked Exhaust Manifold - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 12th, 2004, 05:11 PM
jamieh64
Jamie Hanifin
1998 Disco

Red face Cracked Exhaust Manifold

The manifold on the passenger side is cracked pretty bad and needs to be replaced, my question is does the passenger side mean "left side" or "right side" when I go to order a new one?

muchas gracias

jamie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 12th, 2004, 05:22 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Should be right side. If you are ordrering it from any company in the USA it should be fine. If you are ordering it from the UK specify right or left hand drive.
Old June 12th, 2004, 05:27 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieh64
The manifold on the passenger side is cracked pretty bad and needs to be replaced, my question is does the passenger side mean "left side" or "right side" when I go to order a new one?

muchas gracias

jamie

Rovers North has it listed as a right side manifold for $181.75. You could also have the manifold coated by the likes of Jet Hot or another comapany prior to installation for long term good looks and some heat containment.

EwS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 20th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Just noticed a hairline crack on the pass side, top center above the joint with the y pipe. It makes a tiny click sound when engine cold, and looks like it's been there for quite a while.

Anyone hazard a guess how long these things will go before total failure?

Doug W.
Old November 20th, 2005, 07:07 PM
Jimbo
James Falchetto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
Just noticed a hairline crack on the pass side, top center above the joint with the y pipe. It makes a tiny click sound when engine cold, and looks like it's been there for quite a while.

Anyone hazard a guess how long these things will go before total failure?

Doug W.
Running in rocks in the craggy mountains around here, the manifold tends to go from crack to breach after a couple of weeks. One solution: arc/stick weld since it's cast iron.
Other more expensive - tubular exhaust manifold, as long as it's legal in your state. Drawback: the whole exhaust has to be changed to make it worthwhile.
Sincerely
Jim
Old November 20th, 2005, 07:48 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
why buy new? the LR Manual for Africa "Working in the Wild" says "drill a succession of holes along the fissure, pack with prairie grass, and insert an appropriately sized self-tapping screw into each hole.
Old November 20th, 2005, 11:31 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

Why don't I own this manual?
Old November 22nd, 2005, 03:28 AM
cdmbrennan
Chris Brennan

Prairie grass aside, the company that manufacturers POR-15 has a kit for repairs to an exhaust manifold for something like $35. You basically have to remove the manifold, sandblast it, fill the hole with the high temp cold weld stuff (similar to JBWeld) and then coat with high temp rustproofer. I've done this on one manifold and have had no issues whatsoever- would recommend it. I imagine that Eastwood has a similar kit- heck, even JBWeld might have a high temp weld. Just a suggestion...

cb
Old November 22nd, 2005, 09:01 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Grind it clean with a Dremel, drill a stop hole at the end of the crack and JB weld it up! My look "ghetto" but it should work well.
JB Weld Web Site
Tuners using JB Weld on exhaust thread
Old November 22nd, 2005, 01:04 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

I think I have a used passenger side one that is still good. I could look it over and make sure there are no cracks and you can buy it off me if you want to go that route. email me at bradleeduncan AT gmail DOT com

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, exhaust, rack