Coupling Flange? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 10th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Hazard
David Hazard
95 D-90

Coupling Flange?

I've got some pretty bad slop in the driveline and its not a u-joint. Ive rolled underneath while someone engages the clutch (carefully!) and the emergency break (the brake drum on the driveshaft) has about an inch of spinning (side to side) play coming out of the transfer case. I'm looking through my Defender workshop manual and it shows a part inside the e brake called the coupling flange... that consists of six bearings around a splined coupler that fits around the output shaft. I'm guessing that this is bad, maybe bearings worn out?

Anyone have any other thoughts? Where in the world can I get one of these (and are they called something else)?

Thanks!
Advertisement

Old September 10th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
1" of rotational play at the diameter of the drum is normal. There are a lot of bits of backlash to take up.
Old September 10th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Hazard
David Hazard
95 D-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90
1" of rotational play at the diameter of the drum is normal. There are a lot of bits of backlash to take up.
Maybe its more like 2-3" then. This is definitely not normal. Every time i shift into a different gear, i get jerking in the driveline as the slop gets taken up. Felt at first like a very bad u-joint.
Advertisement

Old September 10th, 2009, 05:32 PM
lynchee
Dennis Lynch
94 D90 #699

Don't know if this is related, but I had wicked slop also. After putting the new front driveshaft in, it is gone. Because of my lift I was chewing up u-joints. I used a DII driveshaft and can't believe the difference, smoother and quieter through all gears and getting on and off the gas
Old September 10th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Hazard
David Hazard
95 D-90

my front driveshaft has no slop and both shafts are Tom Woods CV shafts
Old September 11th, 2009, 02:11 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Well, it could be worn splines on the input of the t-case and output of the transmission or it could be a center diff on the way out. Pull the PTO cover and take a look at the splines. Lots of rust "paste" indicates they are worn. Given the history of the truck though, assuming something is wrong with it, I would be leaning toward the diff in the t--case. When you lock the diff does it improve?
Old September 13th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Hazard
David Hazard
95 D-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
Well, it could be worn splines on the input of the t-case and output of the transmission or it could be a center diff on the way out. Pull the PTO cover and take a look at the splines. Lots of rust "paste" indicates they are worn. Given the history of the truck though, assuming something is wrong with it, I would be leaning toward the diff in the t--case. When you lock the diff does it improve?
It does not improve when I lock the diff? What does that mean?
Old September 13th, 2009, 07:18 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Pull the PTO cover (the big disc on the back) and see if the splines are worn.
Old October 5th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Hazard
David Hazard
95 D-90

Well, being new to the D-90 world, I didnt realize that these were actually 3 differential vehicles. I put all 4 wheels in the air and when I rotate the rear driveshaft and transmission brake, the front shaft spins. So the slop is between the rear diff, the transfer case and the front diff all together which really isnt that bad (and would be pretty hard to isolate just one part causing slop when in reality I think its all parts together). If I hold the front driveshaft, there is only about an inch of slop or play in the trans brake.

Stupidly i thought these were 2 wheel drive in the H and L shifter position until you locked the Diff. Pretty cool design though!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions