Costa Rica Import - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old June 1st, 2014, 09:36 AM
Costa Rica Import

Hey folks. I'm new to the forum - it was recommended to me to research some questions about importing a Defender.

I'm active duty US Army stationed in Costa Rica, and am set to move back to the US next month. We just sold our Sequoia, and I'm able to ship back 1 car as part of my move. I've found a Defender 110 for $15k. I'm going through as many threads as I can looking for info, but it doesn't hurt to post a few questions.

I've not seen the car in person, but I will probably go check it out this week.

The car is advertised as a 1990, but the VIN number shows 88-89 manufacture. I don't know what the Costa Rican property title reflects. What's more important - what the local paperwork shows or the VIN number?

I'm moving to NY, which I understand has a pretty easy process for military folks importing vehicles. I'm a South Carolina resident, so I think I could register it there pretty easily as well. Does NY have vehicle inspections? The car passes current Costa Rican inspections (which are suspect in my book).

This is a link to the vehicle:

When I go look at it, I'm taking my mechanic to check it out. We've looked at several older Series models. Is there anything in particular I need to pay close attention to with respect to modifications? The seller claims that the vehicle is original.

Thanks in advance-

Old June 1st, 2014, 11:31 AM
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team
You've f'd this up already ... You've posted that the vehicle records and VIN don't align in a public forum likely frequented by officials working to prevent non-conforming imports.

Read that what's legal thread and use the search function ... Sorry to be so terse but this question gets posted at least once a week with people having done zero research on the subject.

Once you've understood the basics and decoded your vin in Calvin ( use google to find the land rover vin decoder site ) and figured out what you've actually got in relation to the rules feel free to ask questions.
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Soapy water / KY jelly, etc. is is basically a must. Yes, good idea to remove trim panels - only takes 5 more minutes to do so.
Car Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions