cost of ignition switch replacement? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 19th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

cost of ignition switch replacement?

I'm pretty sure my ignition switch on my 95 D90 is giving it up...is it always the electrical portion that dies ($20 some dollars) or is it the key/mechanical thing that also has issues ($250-350 dollars!)...or can it be either and you have to try and see?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 19th, 2009, 12:58 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
I think it's more likely just the electric switch (cheap, although a PITA to replace IMO). What makes you think it's going out? When mine went out, it was very clear that it was bad.
Old April 19th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

I think its going bad cause intermittently I'll get a click on start up, then next try it will start...then, another time the engine sounds like it started (diesel) but when I release the key, it stops...causes me to believe the fuel shut off relay is being activated when I release the key...after a bunch of trys, it starts...anyway, my guess was starter switch...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 19th, 2009, 10:09 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Genuine NAS are about $250, the ROW without the buzzer are like $60. George at RDS has them both.
Old April 19th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

thanks...dropped him a note earlier today as a matter of fact!
Old April 20th, 2009, 07:37 AM
Rocketman
Scott Y
95 D90 SW, 2003 Disco II, 93 D110

I just replaced mine. In interest of time, I went with a new complete lock assembly. The symptom I had was that the key return spring (returns the key position from the start position to run position)was either gummed up or broken.

As I pulled the assembly off the steering column, the electrical portion literally fell apart. From the looks of the unit, the lock cylinder is built very stout, the electrical portions appears to be made from recycled coat hangers. I did buy a replacement electrical switch, so now I have a spare to carry around in my "under the passenger seat" parts bin.

From the design, I think it would be very hard, if not impossible, to replace the electrical switch without removing the entire lock assembly from the steering column.
Old April 20th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

George at RDS doesn't carry em anymore...does anyone have a part number for the ROW (cheaper) assembly?
Old April 20th, 2009, 08:42 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherpamike
I think it's more likely just the electric switch (cheap, although a PITA to replace IMO). What makes you think it's going out? When mine went out, it was very clear that it was bad.
+1
There is no need to replace the key section of the switch, unless you lost your keys.

The electrical part is all you need to replace and as others have said it is time consuming to get to, but very easy to replace.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old April 20th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

Great...I wasn't sure if the mechanical part was possibly to blame as well...I'll do the electrical part then...thanks!
Old April 26th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

thought I would post a follow up for future thread searchers...it was the Lucas (of course) electrical switch failure...fell apart as I pulled the key assembly out to inspect...in other threads there are several possible techniques put forward to get the lock assembly yoke bolts out...I would recommend the "EZ-out" method. the lock is bolted in with "break off" bolts so they have no head and I chose to center punch, then drill a hole then install EZ-out and back out the bolt with a wrench...Make sure you center punch carefully and in the center to try to center that EZ out as much as possible...on my truck those bolts were REALLY tight and it took a lot of careful effort to get the bolts out...one was punched more off center and things could have gone really badly but I was lucky and finally got the damn thing out...as to the other method of punching off center then trying to "unscrew" the bolt with a pin punch at an angle...I can't imagine it working...it didn't for me since those bolts were very tight, and that's why when I went to the EZ out plan I had an off center hole to deal with, thus EZ out recommendation. That being said, one final caution, don't break off the EZ out cause if you do, I think you'll need to plan on a new lock assembly cause you'll have to destroy it to get it all out.
Geo

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, switch