Cost of defender ownership - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 26th, 2012, 11:32 PM
sro
Sam Odio
2008 LR2

Registry
Cost of defender ownership

I assume a bunch of you track the amount of money you put into your defenders. I've started keeping track of mine, so I'll go ahead and share it as others (especially those considering a purchase) might find it useful: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...FhxVkozaWZJVHc

I've split everything up into three categories: maintenance, repairs, and upgrades. If the amount is rounded that means I'm too lazy to find the receipt. You can see the totals for everything to the right.

A few things that I've learned:
  • So far I've put about $10k into the truck (that I purchased for $22.5k). There's probably another $10k that I need to put into it.
  • Had I purchased a well-maintained truck, I would've paid more but possibly saved up to $10k (estimated total cost of maintenance and repairs).
  • I wanted a soft top with 4 jump seats, but purchased a fiberglass with a rear bench. It'll cost me about $4,000 to convert what I bought to what I wanted.
  • I chose a "trail-ready" rig over one in good condition. That might have been a mistake, as it's relatively easy to add a rear locker, skid plates, lights, winch, sliders, OME suspension, etc. I figure I could've done all of that for $5-10k (close to what I've paid so far in repairs) and it would've all been new (as opposed to what I have right now. Eg: winch is in bad shape).

Stats on the vehicle I purchased:
  • Red 1995 D-90 (originally white, red paint is chipping off)
  • Fiberglass top without rear roll bar
  • Significant rust on front bumper, rear bumper, and roll bar.
  • Surprisingly almost no rust on frame or other components
  • 140k miles
  • Rear ARB air locker, hella four 500 lights, front winch, 3" lift with OME suspension, skid plates, sliders
  • No maintenance history
  • $22,500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 26th, 2012, 11:50 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

I dont want to know...I'm happy.
Old December 26th, 2012, 11:54 PM
Surf90
C.S.
1989 Defender 110 200tdi

Registry
Did your 90 come out of Colorado? -- I had a deal to purchase that one from the original owner for $18k but then a local dealer swooped in and bought it under me. He waxed it and threw it on eBay 3 days later. There is a thread on here somewhere about it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2406064907.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	213.6 KB
ID:	63380

---

Oh here is the thread ...
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...d.php?p=364514
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 27th, 2012, 12:00 AM
sro
Sam Odio
2008 LR2

Registry
Yah that's the truck. $18k would've been a great price.

Frankly, the dealer misled me pretty badly to get me to fly out there. That said, it was my fault for not walking away once I saw it, and I didn't get a horrible deal at $22.5 (esp with all the off-road add-ons).

Do you have the contact info for the original buyer? I'd be interested in getting maintenance records (if there are any).
Old December 27th, 2012, 12:04 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I bought my current D90 cheap and spent about 2k replacing the trans/t-case (the second synchro was bad and had been for a decade) and another $800 on exhaust because I wanted a borla and figured do it now rather than later, the rest is basically just maintaining it. Then again, I don't put many miles on my D90 and am persnickity about catching things before they turn into real issues and obsessive about keeping fluids changed and such. Eventually I will want to do a complete rebuild with galvanized everything but for the time being I am content to run her as she is and mitigate any corrosion as best I can.
Old December 27th, 2012, 12:12 AM
Surf90
C.S.
1989 Defender 110 200tdi

Registry
Yeah, his name is Mark Tollefson. His email is: redrover95@hotmail.com

--

$18k would have been a great deal, but $22.5 was still a good deal! Congrats on the purchase! Post some photos of your work. Im in SF often, maybe next time I'm up there I can see that beast in person.

------ Follow up post added December 26th, 2012 09:15 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
Eventually I will want to do a complete rebuild with galvanized everything but for the time being I am content to run her as she is and mitigate any corrosion as best I can.
I got mine "cheap" as well and this is my mindset too.
Old December 27th, 2012, 12:17 AM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Sounds like a rushed purchase although I do see a couple of "inspection" items on your list. Did Roverland and BMC give you the full picture of what you were buying? I also see a couple of clutch MC on your list, did this fail twice? How long have you had it so far?

I'm sorry your dumping some serious cash on your D, but hopefully would be buyers can see that if you bought the truck you need/want and do a fair amount of research on the actual truck your buying, it should be relatively pain free.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 27th, 2012, 12:44 AM
sro
Sam Odio
2008 LR2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn_Guinto View Post
Sounds like a rushed purchase although I do see a couple of "inspection" items on your list. Did Roverland and BMC give you the full picture of what you were buying? I also see a couple of clutch MC on your list, did this fail twice? How long have you had it so far?

I'm sorry your dumping some serious cash on your D, but hopefully would be buyers can see that if you bought the truck you need/want and do a fair amount of research on the actual truck your buying, it should be relatively pain free.
I originally estimated it'd take me $12k to get it into the condition I want it in. It looks like it's going to take me something closer to $24k so I was off by a factor of 2. I attribute the error partly to a first-time defender purchase (eg, I didn't budget $4.5k for the rear roll bar and soft top) and partly due to not factoring in the many small expenses that can add up quick.

I inspected it before by myself but didn't get it inspected by a LR mech until after the purchase. But the roverland inspection didn't tell me anything I wasn't already planning for. The BMC inspection was pretty much worthless (that's a separate conversation).

I only had to do the MC once (fixed the spreadsheet).

------ Follow up post added December 26th, 2012 09:49 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf90 View Post
$18k would have been a great deal, but $22.5 was still a good deal! Congrats on the purchase! Post some photos of your work. Im in SF often, maybe next time I'm up there I can see that beast in person.
Thanks for the contact info, I emailed him. Send me a PM any time you're in SF and we can grab a beer.
Old December 27th, 2012, 04:41 PM
andy110
Andy Bard
1986 110 CSW

Registry
I bought my UK spec 1986 110 CSW for 3100GBP at the time that was about $4900.00. It had a correct 300TDI conversion from a wrecked MOD 110. I added a salisbury front 750GBP about $1000.00. Shipping the truck cost me about $2500.00.

So Lets say that is about $8400 total as it sits in my garage.

I have been working on it since its arrival in August and it should be on the road in about two weeks. My receipts to date add up to just under $2000 in parts so far, I will add up next weeks receipts when they come in. This does not count what it will cost to repain the truck also.

Total so far: $10,300.00 and I estimate another $500.00 in parts next week, and another $2000.00 in paint and body work. And say $1500-$1800 if I want to convert to LHD.

All in for under $15,000.00, but that is only because I do all the work myself!
Old December 27th, 2012, 05:13 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

$1500-1800 to convert to LHD is unrealistic unless you cut and recover the lower RHD dash and get really lucky finding the other pieces to convert.
Old December 27th, 2012, 05:33 PM
jpc181818
james
1998 Discovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy110 View Post
I bought my UK spec 1986 110 CSW for 3100GBP at the time that was about $4900.00. It had a correct 300TDI conversion from a wrecked MOD 110. I added a salisbury front 750GBP about $1000.00. Shipping the truck cost me about $2500.00.

So Lets say that is about $8400 total as it sits in my garage.

I have been working on it since its arrival in August and it should be on the road in about two weeks. My receipts to date add up to just under $2000 in parts so far, I will add up next weeks receipts when they come in. This does not count what it will cost to repain the truck also.

Total so far: $10,300.00 and I estimate another $500.00 in parts next week, and another $2000.00 in paint and body work. And say $1500-$1800 if I want to convert to LHD.

All in for under $15,000.00, but that is only because I do all the work myself!
Where did you find that so cheap?
Did you import it yourself, or have help?
BTW, i am looking for a 110 in that price range.

Thanks,
Old December 27th, 2012, 06:13 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Then you need to be bidding on eBay in the UK and calling Doug.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old December 27th, 2012, 06:27 PM
andy110
Andy Bard
1986 110 CSW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc181818 View Post
Where did you find that so cheap?
Did you import it yourself, or have help?
BTW, i am looking for a 110 in that price range.

Thanks,
I got it off Ebay UK and imported it myself. You need to ask a lot of questions when dealing with a UK seller. Their version of good condition is no where near ours! And it will need a lot of work if you want to pay around $5000.

$1800 is not near what it would cost? It was a while ago that I checked. I am fine with with RHD
Old December 27th, 2012, 08:33 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
$1800 is not near what it would cost? It was a while ago that I checked. I am fine with with RHD
2-3x that most likely...
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old December 27th, 2012, 08:39 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
I got it off Ebay UK and imported it myself. You need to ask a lot of questions when dealing with a UK seller. Their version of good condition is no where near ours! And it will need a lot of work if you want to pay around $5000.

For sure. Good condition is passed it's last MoT without issue and can pass another without doing anything major. What people want for $15k is not what it can actually get you.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old December 27th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

What did a LHD dash cost here recently...$2500? Add in a LHD heater matrix $700 (RN) misc parts.....you choose the $$, and thats alot more than estimated.
Old December 27th, 2012, 10:09 PM
andy110
Andy Bard
1986 110 CSW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post
For sure. Good condition is passed it's last MoT without issue and can pass another without doing anything major. What people want for $15k is not what it can actually get you.
My 110 passed MOT, but the body was in a lot worse shape than advertised. Quite a bit of aluminum corrosion and holes in the bulkhead. I suspect that in the UK the body condition is not as important as it is overhear where body parts are much harder to find. You can find an affordable Defender, but it WILL need a lot of work. If not mechanical work, then body work like mine.
Old December 28th, 2012, 10:13 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
My 110 passed MOT, but the body was in a lot worse shape than advertised. Quite a bit of aluminum corrosion and holes in the bulkhead. I suspect that in the UK the body condition is not as important as it is overhear where body parts are much harder to find. You can find an affordable Defender, but it WILL need a lot of work. If not mechanical work, then body work like mine.
The entire country runs vehicles into the ground. If they can pass an MoT they are "good condition". It's about minimizing cost of ownership because all of the insurance, road tax, and fuel prices.

Old December 28th, 2012, 10:40 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
A MOT is not hard to get ... It's not a reliable indicator of condition like some people claim.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old December 28th, 2012, 11:25 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
A MOT is not hard to get ... It's not a reliable indicator of condition like some people claim.
Which is exactly what I'm saying. As far as people importing vehicles expecting to get something mint that is cheap and in good condition as described by the average nob head selling a used Land Rover goes it basically means you're getting something that starts, stops, has working lights and wipers, ok tire tread, and minimal corrosion around body and frame mounts. The rest is up to luck as to what you're going to get if you don't look at something yourself.

The average US consumer's idea of "good condition" is a lot different than the UK "good condition".

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
defender