Cost of defender ownership - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 5th, 2013, 09:19 PM
MC36
Michael Christian
97 D90 ST British Racing Green

Did my wife start this thread? I don't really want to know, as long as it keeps a smile on my face it is priceless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 5th, 2013, 11:44 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
What did a LHD dash cost here recently...$2500? Add in a LHD heater matrix $700 (RN) misc parts.....you choose the $$, and thats alot more than estimated.
Naw, just saw this on flea Bay today. $1,500 bucks is all.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LAND-...item2a27d02e94
Old January 6th, 2013, 08:47 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post

Which is exactly what I'm saying. As far as people importing vehicles expecting to get something mint that is cheap and in good condition as described by the average nob head selling a used Land Rover goes it basically means you're getting something that starts, stops, has working lights and wipers, ok tire tread, and minimal corrosion around body and frame mounts. The rest is up to luck as to what you're going to get if you don't look at something yourself.

The average US consumer's idea of "good condition" is a lot different than the UK "good condition".
I don't understand why people don't take a quick trip to the UK to inspect a truck before buying. They'll potentially save thousands by selecting the right truck and the cost of a flight is less than $800 most of the year.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 6th, 2013, 01:29 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
This is an interesting thread. Thanks for being so honest and open about your experience. I think it's rare to get that perspective.

I'm on my third 90 over 16 years. My first was a 94st with only 7k miles. I bought sight unseen and paid $25k. Drove it every day for 5 years and didn't have to do anything to it other than fluids and filters. One day I got an itch to buy a sw so I sold it for $27k. It had only 70k and still bone stock. Second was a POE with about 60k. I think I paid about $16k for it. I didn't do any major repairs or upgrades other than a spring lift and 33's. I drove it for 4 years every day and sold it for $15k with about 119k. Now I'm on my third which is a 97sw that ive been driving daily for almost nine years. I've invested in a mild lift, lockers, gbr cv ds, wolfs, 33's, under armor, winch and recovery gear. I've done the "typical" repairs you learn about on this board like oil cooler lines, etc. but I've tried to keep it simple and just bolt on stuff in case I need to go back to stock before selling and moving on. I've spent way more on upgrades than repairs but the lack of depreciation offsets the cost of ownership pretty well. Especially if you can recoup a decent percentage of the original investment in things like Rockware front winch bumpers that don't seem to drop in value too much.

Clay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 7th, 2013, 04:04 PM
andy110
Andy Bard
1986 110 CSW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
I don't understand why people don't take a quick trip to the UK to inspect a truck before buying. They'll potentially save thousands by selecting the right truck and the cost of a flight is less than $800 most of the year.
I was (and still am) on a VERY tight budget, so an additional $800 plus hotel would have killed the deal.
Old January 7th, 2013, 04:18 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
They'll potentially save thousands by selecting the right truck and the cost of a flight is less than $800 most of the year.
I thought about doing this when I was looking for trucks, but the only way it made any financial sense for me was to take off at least seven days (not including the actual flight time - a day there and a day back), rent a car, and drive around looking at my options. The reason for this is that there was no guarantee that the truck I was going to see would actually be one that I would want to buy - therefore making a day or two trip worthless.

The total cost would have been closer to $1800 to find a truck. I guess unless one were going to just walk around everywhere and sleep on the streets, the airfare is really just a fraction of the cost of a potential Defender hunting trip. That's starting to edge close to the cost of a replacement galv chassis, which would rectify one of the major potential problems of a clapped out Defender. Financially, it's not worth it, unless you were somehow able to find a true gem - like a low rust 4-door pickup at rock-bottom prices.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
defender