Corrosion 101 - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 15th, 2012, 09:45 AM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
Iíve always thought those coin operated wash places with the high-pressure wands recycle water and I canít see them desalinating it. Best to check as this could make our corrosion problems worse. However, perhaps the final rinse setting that trickles out is fresh water that is salt free, but this is not enough to clear out the salty crap water from the high-pressure setting.
Seriously, for fu*k sake, I can't get a break.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 15th, 2012, 09:58 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
It could be worse! Back when Boyd Coddington was still alive.

http://www.allpar.com/history/auto-s...e-capsule.html
Old February 15th, 2012, 10:09 AM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
It could be worse! Back when Boyd Coddington was still alive.

http://www.allpar.com/history/auto-s...e-capsule.html
Man, something about that story just made my skin crawl like I was watching a horror movie. Creepy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 15th, 2012, 10:29 AM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

Quote:
Iíve always thought those coin operated wash places with the high-pressure wands recycle water and I canít see them desalinating it. Best to check as this could make our corrosion problems worse. However, perhaps the final rinse setting that trickles out is fresh water that is salt free, but this is not enough to clear out the salty crap water from the high-pressure setting.

This is a good thought, but it's only conjecture. I can only say that based on my experience, if this were true my car would have rusted out long ago.

Any car wash owners here who can confirm?
Old February 15th, 2012, 11:25 AM
UnfrozenCaveman
Keith Armstrong
Various

Quote:
Iíve always thought those coin operated wash places with the high-pressure wands recycle water...
Nope, not the two that are clients of mine...their water bills are amazing!

...and yes, the D90 and the Series are in the garage for the duration...the Disco's almost made 20 years, I really can't complain...

KAA
Old February 15th, 2012, 12:08 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by founD90 View Post
Man, something about that story just made my skin crawl like I was watching a horror movie. Creepy.
Haha, yeah. Pretty cool though. I remember the unveiling back in 2007 in Tulsa. The 1957 Belvedere had sat in the time capsule filled with water for no one knows how long (had been sealed up 50 years prior). Boyd couldn't get it started, because the ignition itself was a solid block of rusted/seized metal. When Boyd died, the winner of the car sent it to Ultra One in Hackettstown, NJ to get the rust removed.

I was looking at their stuff - it looks pretty impressive. I know they use their stuff to clean the Holland and Lincoln tunnel walls.

http://www.safestrustremover.com/slideshow4/default.htm
Old February 15th, 2012, 12:14 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoellis View Post
This is a good thought, but it's only conjecture. I can only say that based on my experience, if this were true my car would have rusted out long ago.

Any car wash owners here who can confirm?
Not conjecture - this is a fact. Ask your local coin op wash places, search google, or read the the "cashwash" forums. There is a big push to have these car wash places go green and cut down their effluent by reclaiming 70% or more of the water. Some have converted, some have not. Here is a relevant article:

http://www.carwash.com/self-serve/ar...ng-your-drains

To pull a quote from that link, "bacteria control" is not a reverse osmosis system necessary to remove the prior cars' salt, calcium, magnesium, etc..

"Reclaimed water is basically wash water that has been filtered and treated with bacteria control. This recycled water should generally be good for high-pressure applications, and this can include high-pressure soap and other functions, Taylor explained. Depending on the final rinse options, reclaim can sometimes be used as a first rinse, which is usually a high-pressure application as well.
In a self-serve wash, fresh water usage will typically be needed only for low-consumption options. These include pre-soak, tire and wheel applications and foaming brush uses, Taylor said. The water used here is minimal, and the necessary chemicals mix better with fresh water."

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions