Corroded Heat Pipe - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 19th, 2007, 12:24 AM
bjenk
Brian Jenkinson
1994 D90

Corroded Heat Pipe

It seems that while fixing one thing I notice three other things that need attention. Not complaining because I am able to do most of the wrenching at work...
While replacing the water pump the other day I had to use channel locks to remove my coolant plug that is on the heater supply line. When I got it off all but two threads were left on the plug and the pipe is corroded so bad, that there is no threads left. I had to just spin until it locked up to get it home.
I called George and he had never had to get this part, let a lone know what to call it...
I came up with a simple solution that seems to be working very well and thought I would pass it on. I bought it at Ace Hardware for a couple dollars and have driven about two hundred miles with out a leak. It is just a simple drain plug. I might actually try it in the radiator, because I hate that stupid plastic plug.
brian
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 19th, 2007, 08:30 AM
epninety
Dave Haynes
Ibex 240 2.8TGV

Not much help to you if theres no thread left in the pipe (it's not just clogged with plastic right?), but I think the plug is the same as used on the TDi, part number ERR4686.

I replaced both of mine (tdi) with a hydraulic pipe stop, it's a 1/2"BSPP thread, hydraulics people know it as G-1/2. I think theres a US operation of RS Components... part number 727-755 is what I used.

http://www.ep90.com/index.php?id=92

Dave
Old October 19th, 2007, 09:33 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjenk
I came up with a simple solution that seems to be working very well and thought I would pass it on. I bought it at Ace Hardware for a couple dollars and have driven about two hundred miles with out a leak. It is just a simple drain plug. I might actually try it in the radiator, because I hate that stupid plastic plug.
brian
It looks like a Wine Bottle Stopper... What is it made of, is it likely to hold up to the temperatures over time?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 19th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

It looks like a drain plug for a boat to me. My guess is that it is made of rubber.
Old October 19th, 2007, 10:48 AM
bjenk
Brian Jenkinson
1994 D90

It seems to be brass hardware and a rubber stop. I will post if I have any issues in the future. It is just a cheap alternative for me.

brian

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions