Defender Source Forum banner

Correct intercooler for International 2.8 engine

Tags
engine
2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Roverowner 
#1 ·
Hi there!

I have a Brazilian International 2.8 HS engine with VNT turbo fitted in my 2000 Defender Td5.
I bought the vehicle with the engine already installed and it works really fine: LOTS of torque at low revs, greater acceleration than with my former 300 Tdi Defender, etc.

Nevertheless I' ve always wondered whether it has the correct intercooler fitted. It has the original LR 300 Tdi intercooler installed. It also has an original LR 300 Tdi radiator installed but so far does not heat (it does not have AC though).

Isn´t this intercooler a bit small for the 2.8 engine? If so which would be the correct intercooler for my engine?

Will a bigger intercooler only improve my performance if I tweak the turbo boost?
I understand there are several Defender 90 owners in the States who have swapped their V8's for Brazilian International 2.8 engines so there may be some people with experience on this out there.

Thanks !
Cheers!
Santiago

See less See more
#2 ·
I can have an intercooler made for you but it is not cheap. You can PM me about it.

Jim Pendleton

#3 ·
Hi thats a great engine that is a popular fit in the uk though it is not a cheap fitment, the original rad is fine but make sure it is in good condition.
As for the intercooler most seem to opt for the larger intercooler at the same time, there are a number available but the original gives good results, make sure you give it a good flush through with degreaser every once in a while.

It will make a small difference fitting a larger intercooler without tweeking the fuel, however if you go this route, have a good think if it is worth it as most people fit an intercooler & tweek the fueling then forget the exhaust.

have fun and enjoy your motor

regards
Gren

#5 ·
Gren_T said:
Hi thats a great engine that is a popular fit in the uk though it is not a cheap fitment, the original rad is fine but make sure it is in good condition.
As for the intercooler most seem to opt for the larger intercooler at the same time, there are a number available but the original gives good results, make sure you give it a good flush through with degreaser every once in a while.

It will make a small difference fitting a larger intercooler without tweeking the fuel, however if you go this route, have a good think if it is worth it as most people fit an intercooler & tweek the fueling then forget the exhaust.

have fun and enjoy your motor

regards
Gren

Gren,

What difference does it make if you forget the exhaust?
Less power or higher EGT?
Or both?

Thank you
Santiago

#6 ·
Had to rub it in with the 2000 Defender comment....I am jealous

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.