Correct intercooler for International 2.8 engine - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 18th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Santiago
Santiago Gigola

Correct intercooler for International 2.8 engine

Hi there!

I have a Brazilian International 2.8 HS engine with VNT turbo fitted in my 2000 Defender Td5.
I bought the vehicle with the engine already installed and it works really fine: LOTS of torque at low revs, greater acceleration than with my former 300 Tdi Defender, etc.

Nevertheless I' ve always wondered whether it has the correct intercooler fitted. It has the original LR 300 Tdi intercooler installed. It also has an original LR 300 Tdi radiator installed but so far does not heat (it does not have AC though).

Isnīt this intercooler a bit small for the 2.8 engine? If so which would be the correct intercooler for my engine?

Will a bigger intercooler only improve my performance if I tweak the turbo boost?
I understand there are several Defender 90 owners in the States who have swapped their V8's for Brazilian International 2.8 engines so there may be some people with experience on this out there.

Thanks !
Cheers!
Santiago
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 18th, 2008, 05:53 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

I can have an intercooler made for you but it is not cheap. You can PM me about it.

Jim Pendleton

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old April 21st, 2008, 03:02 PM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

Hi thats a great engine that is a popular fit in the uk though it is not a cheap fitment, the original rad is fine but make sure it is in good condition.
As for the intercooler most seem to opt for the larger intercooler at the same time, there are a number available but the original gives good results, make sure you give it a good flush through with degreaser every once in a while.

It will make a small difference fitting a larger intercooler without tweeking the fuel, however if you go this route, have a good think if it is worth it as most people fit an intercooler & tweek the fueling then forget the exhaust.

have fun and enjoy your motor

regards
Gren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 23rd, 2008, 07:50 AM
Santiago
Santiago Gigola

Thanks for the advice Gren!

Cheers,
Santiago
Old June 13th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Santiago
Santiago Gigola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gren_T
Hi thats a great engine that is a popular fit in the uk though it is not a cheap fitment, the original rad is fine but make sure it is in good condition.
As for the intercooler most seem to opt for the larger intercooler at the same time, there are a number available but the original gives good results, make sure you give it a good flush through with degreaser every once in a while.

It will make a small difference fitting a larger intercooler without tweeking the fuel, however if you go this route, have a good think if it is worth it as most people fit an intercooler & tweek the fueling then forget the exhaust.

have fun and enjoy your motor

regards
Gren

Gren,

What difference does it make if you forget the exhaust?
Less power or higher EGT?
Or both?

Thank you
Santiago
Old June 13th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Roverowner
Brian Love
95/Disco

Had to rub it in with the 2000 Defender comment....I am jealous

Some people are like Slinkies ...
Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when
you push them down a flight of stairs.

1995 Discovery

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine