Cooling Issues / radiator hole - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old August 27th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Michael Wilfong
1994 Land Rover Defender 90
Cooling Issues / radiator hole

Hey guys,

Okay...the never ending heating issues. First I will tell you what I have done then I need your help.

Engine was overheating once the car had stopped (redlight or traffic) and would not return.

What I have done so far:

New thermostat. with Fail open Auto Zone $13
Radiator Flush: $99

Still overheated and determined Fan Clutch. Bought Fan clutch for 119 at auto zone. and went ahead and bought water pump $239.

Fan clutch is reverse thread. 32 mm wrench needed. I actually used an adjustible. and a rubber strap to hold the pulley from moving. You have to remove most belts to get to everything from the water pump.

NOW everything is back in place no leaks yet on the water pump however. I hit the radiator with my wrench and busted a tiny spot where now coolant leaks. Also what is the best way to get coolant back in the radiator?

HOW CAN I FIX THIS??? please help

Michael Wilfong
Michael Ryan Realty
Old August 27th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team
Temp fix is Rad weld or similar from autozone type place ... or an egg white ( bush mechanic fix ) not recommended but might get you out of deepest jungle.

Permanent solution is recore the rad - search radiator repair in your local yellow pages or similar.

It may be possible for them to patch the hole but a recore would help with the cooling.

Old August 27th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110
Take it to a shop, they'll have to unsolder everything, knock a few fins out, copper solder it up, heat dip and test it.
A guy told me one time "don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat from around the corner"

Robert Deniro

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

coolant, fan clutch, overheating, radiator, water pump