Cooling issues - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 14th, 2010, 11:43 PM
slorocco
Dan Prasada-Rao
1963, 109 Station Wagon

Cooling issues

Well... We finally got the motor stuff sorted out, got a motor from Will. It's in and running well but the d90 seems to have cooling issues. The temp gage is rock solid right in the center but the electric fan runs almost non stop and every time we shut the motor off it pukes coolant out the over flow hose from the reservoir?

Any ideas? Apparently some of these cooling issues have been around for a while so I do not believe it's caused by the new/used motor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 15th, 2010, 03:00 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Bad radiator?
Old May 15th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
sounds like an air bubble is forming somewhere. when you shut the engine down it makes its way out and forces coolant out the top of the system.

temp gauge won't stay in the middle for long after all the coolant is gone

are you sure you are bleeding the cooling system correctly?

new thermostat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slorocco View Post
Well... We finally got the motor stuff sorted out, got a motor from Will. It's in and running well but the d90 seems to have cooling issues. The temp gage is rock solid right in the center but the electric fan runs almost non stop and every time we shut the motor off it pukes coolant out the over flow hose from the reservoir?

Any ideas? Apparently some of these cooling issues have been around for a while so I do not believe it's caused by the new/used motor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 15th, 2010, 10:16 AM
slorocco
Dan Prasada-Rao
1963, 109 Station Wagon

Air bubble sounds like a good possibility. We'll have to try bleeding the system a bit more or better. It also pukes at start up a bit too sometimes.

Thermostat is good, we tested it on the stove top with a thermometer.

The radiator is a remote possiblility, it was re cored about 10 years ago, but still looks real clean inside from what we can see. No scale build up etc.
Old May 15th, 2010, 10:26 AM
defeyago
Santiago
96 Defender 110 VGTdi SW County

Registry
Is the correct level on the reservoir ok? At least on Tdis correct level is in the middle of it and if you overfill it it does spill it out from it, I dont know how it works on V8s. Another thing (the bad one) would be a cracked cylinder head or a bad head gasket.
04 Freelander Td4 5 dr.
97 Alfa Romeo 146 TD (Sold)
95 Volvo 850 GLT Estate
94 Discovery Tdi (Webasto equipped)
Old May 15th, 2010, 11:16 AM
slorocco
Dan Prasada-Rao
1963, 109 Station Wagon

Yes, we checked the reservoir level too. V8s are also supposed to be filled to the seam on the tank. I sincerely hope it is not a cracked head. I got the motor from a reliable source, so I'm inclined to trust the motor and look at other causes first.

We just tried the procedure in the manual for filling/bleeding, my friend is on his way home now which is about an hour and a half drive. He'll check everything again once he gets there. His plan is to leave tonight to start the trip to Colorado.

By the way, the manual seems to suggest you can run the motor with the fill tower plug removed and the radiator plug removed. We had the same experience today that I remember having with my 94 LWB. We could not run the motor with the fill tower plug removed. When we tried we got a geyser of coolant running out the top of the tube.
Old May 15th, 2010, 01:14 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

If you do have a bubble, try high rpms in bursts as I have found this tends to push them through the system. Also, squeeze the upper rad hose and use it like a pump which helps too.
Old May 15th, 2010, 01:33 PM
imeek
Isaac
Red 94 D-90 (SOLD)

I second what Ron says. Try squeezing the upper rad hose. If still an issue perhaps the temp sensor needs replacing. 10 years on the rad makes it potentially suspect too.
Old May 16th, 2010, 11:54 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Dan, the cooling system is supposed to have about 14 psi. Increased pressure raises the boiling point of water, so the coolant won't boil at 212, but more like 230. Don't take the top off the puke tank or anything else while the engine is hot or you'll get a bath the hard way.

That said you should not be getting air into the cooling system. This can come from a cracked engine, slipped liner or poorly sealing intake gasket. There is a kit that sells at Auto Zone that will detect the presence of engine gasses in the coolant. If there isn't any, then it's probably air that needs bleeding.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old May 19th, 2010, 08:26 AM
slorocco
Dan Prasada-Rao
1963, 109 Station Wagon

Well, he made it to Colorado(Mesa Verdy Nat'l Park, with no issues other than the burping puking overflow tank. At least he's there now and can relax a little while he diagnoses the problem. At this point he's thinking it's a combination of an air bubble and a clogged radiator. I'll probably give Will a call and see what he's got for a good used D90 radiator.
Old December 13th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Abeer
Amarveer
94 D90 ST

Registry
Reviving an old thread. Did you ever figure out what the problem was that caused the puking overflow tank?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions