Cooling issue - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 19th, 2016, 01:22 PM
Johna56
john
none

Cooling issue

Last night, I noticed my battery light on while driving. 15 minutes later, while parking the 1986 rhd D110 2.5 Diesel (no turbo), i noticed smoke/steam coming from the right side of the engine compartment above the right wheel. I jumped out to check and there was coolant all over that side of the engine compartment and along the street where i had slowed driving to find a parking spot. Further inspection revealed the (serpentine) fan belt was missing (gone) and the fan itself was physically off the shaft. I read a bunch of threads and it seems like I can probably replace the belt easily enough myself but there are a host of other things I should be checking. For some reason, not knowing this might be important, i noticed that the rubber hoses running to/from the engine/radiator were very, very soft.

Belt could have broken due to age, but I want to try to diagnosis the other possible issues (radiator, water pump, alternator bearing, heater core, thermostat), to make sure I don't band aid a different problem.

Initial question is why did the fan come off? Does that in itself mean anything or does that just happen sometimes when the belt fails? Again, it is physically detached from the shaft (viscous clutch) it should be connected to.

When i go back, I'll make sure everything is tight (pulley bolts, etc) first. From there, I read that at operating temperature, if the water hoses are soft, its likely a failed water pump, if they are hard, its likely a failed alternator bearing. I also understand that I should have the radiator core and rods checked because the vehicle is 30 years old and it just might be time for a rebuilt/new one. If the coolant need to be replaced, then i need to know where it went, because if its not leaking out, its leaking in (bad for engine). I know it leaked out because i could see it, and I could hear pressure being released right after I saw the steam, but i could not visually see exactly where the leak was coming from.

Since the coolant is on the ground, I'm cautiously optimistic that the block has been damaged. The truck is about 14 miles from my house. Can I grab some coolant and a belt, fill it, install the belt and drive it home without damaging the engine or is that too far of it is a failed water pump?

Any other info given would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 19th, 2016, 01:49 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johna56 View Post
The truck is about 14 miles from my house. Can I grab some coolant and a belt, fill it, install the belt and drive it home without damaging the engine or is that too far of it is a failed water pump?
As far as driving, that depends.
Does your temp guage work and do you trust it?

I drove my 3.9 V8 2 miles uphill on an interstate once after the fan exploded and took out the radiator. Took me forever to go 2 miles.
Had to wait for it to cool down, then drive 4/10 of a mile and the needle was getting close to the red AGAIN. Pull off, shut down for 20 minutes. Repeat.

My 300 tdi runs so cold I dont think it needs a fan....

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old June 19th, 2016, 01:54 PM
Johna56
john
none

Thanks. I'll try to drive a little way, see how it goes and then call a tow if it overheats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 19th, 2016, 02:01 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Plenty of 2.5 NA available. But for the price of a tow or Aaa membership is it worth it?

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old June 19th, 2016, 02:19 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
A friend of mine had a series that the belt broke on a trail. Buddy jumped on the wing and turned the water pump pulley to get it back to the road.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old June 19th, 2016, 02:31 PM
Johna56
john
none

Im heading over now with a belt and tools. Ill check water pump for noise, resistance and see if its loose. If it seems ok, Ill reinstall fan, install belt and drive it around the block to see what happens. If it doesn't seem ok, at any point, ill call for a tow.

Thanks for the responses so far.
Old June 19th, 2016, 02:40 PM
GunnyUSMC
Eric
1991 Defender 90 200TDI

Registry
I had the same thing happen to me today. Blew a belt, noticed it getting hot and pulled over. Took me forever to find a place open here on Sunday and it was 45 minutes away. Note to self, carry spare belts in the Defender.

Make sure that you top up the coolant, mine took about a gallon and a half!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions