Cooling after full width intercooler install - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 1st, 2013, 05:52 PM
Hudson
Hudson
1987 110 200Tdi

As a test, I trimmed a double thick piece of cardboard to cover the portion of the grille opening that was previously filled by the stock intercooler and wedged it in place between the grille and new intercooler. Although it was a really rudimentary experiment, I was satisfied with the adaptation of the cardboard to the opening and its inability to deform under wind pressure. I tested it for about 15 minutes in town and then 15 minutes at 50-60mph and the temps were the same as they were without the cardboard block.

I think my next move is going to be cooling system pressure testing and checking for exhaust gas in the coolant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 1st, 2013, 06:21 PM
Trey C
Trey Crowther
1983 V8 110 County

Registry
You blocked the wrong thing. You need to block airflow between the end of the radiator and the hose outlets for the new inter cooler-behind the new intercooler. The space occupied by the original intercooler. within the frame. Use a sheet of plastic and cut out holes for the new inter-cooler pipes. Your fan is pulling air through your intercooler but around your radiator instead of through it.
Old October 1st, 2013, 06:33 PM
Hudson
Hudson
1987 110 200Tdi

Trey: I did think to block behind the intercooler as a final solution, but figured my way was satisfactory as a test (and a lot easier to try quickly). I suppose air could be sucked through the intercooler and then around the 1/4" space between the intercooler and radiator, but it seems like it would cause a minimal cooling loss and I'd still expect an improvement in running temp with the board in front of the intercooler. At any rate, I plan to try it your way. Is your setup permanent or were you testing it as well? Do you have a photo or can you describe how you mounted the plastic piece in there? How close is it to the radiator, radiator frame, and intercooler?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 1st, 2013, 07:01 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Trey posted what I said looking over his shoulder. No pictures, that truck was sold to another board member years ago.

Think about this- the air flowing through the intercooler flows easier than the air flowing through the intercooler AND then the radiator. You have to force the air to flow through the radiator otherwise your fan is completely worthless and is just going to pull air through the left side of your intercooler where there is easier flow because there is no radiator core in the way.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions