coolant - which to use - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 15th, 2005, 05:58 PM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

coolant - which to use

I know its a good idea to swap out the coolant in the v8 pretty often. I'm due. I also know that we need to be careful about which coolant to use with the aluminium engine.
What should I get?
-scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 15th, 2005, 06:27 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

The orange prestone. If, for some reason, you are using the green, make sure you flush it all out as they are not compatible. I would open both your engine drain plugs to do this, if it is the case.
Old May 15th, 2005, 07:31 PM
DaveHuny
Van Der Waal
none

Article briefly explaining the colors of antifreeze.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 16th, 2005, 09:08 AM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

Current stuff is green. So, suck out what I can from the radiator; pull and drain from both engine drain plugs (after I find out where they are).
Am I good to fillup with the orange, or do I need to do something more?

On another note, I read something somewhere about DexCool - it also needs frequent changing; its not the super long life coolant it was originally marketed as. Just an fyi.
Old May 16th, 2005, 09:13 AM
DaveHuny
Van Der Waal
none

Or just refill with green. All my LR's have always had the green stuff.
Old May 16th, 2005, 09:24 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Hmm... That all depends on how much you're willing to spend and how much it matters to you if your gauge is 1/2 the way up the meter or 1/3. I like the purple stuff, AMSOIL Propylene Glycol, which actually is a bright yellow because they changed the formula.
Yes, it's expensive ($25 a gallon) but ever since I started using it the temp gauge doesn't go past 1/3 even in this hot Tallahassee, Florida weather. Maybe close to 1/2 if I run the thing for hours and hours, but it does a great job keeping things cool.

just my 2 bits...

Nicholas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 16th, 2005, 10:25 AM
DaveHuny
Van Der Waal
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by norros
Hmm... That all depends on how much you're willing to spend and how much it matters to you if your gauge is 1/2 the way up the meter or 1/3. I like the purple stuff, AMSOIL Propylene Glycol, which actually is a bright yellow because they changed the formula.
Yes, it's expensive ($25 a gallon) but ever since I started using it the temp gauge doesn't go past 1/3 even in this hot Tallahassee, Florida weather. Maybe close to 1/2 if I run the thing for hours and hours, but it does a great job keeping things cool.

just my 2 bits...

Nicholas
Sorry for taking this off topic, but it sounds like you forgot to put your thermostat back in The thermostat is what keeps your engine running at a certain temperature. If your coolant is lower than 190 then your thermostat isn't opening, and your coolant isn't moving through the radiator. Or your guage reads much lower (1/3 = 190 vs. 1/2=190) than mine.
Old May 16th, 2005, 10:33 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Nah Dave... Just installed a brand new thermostat/temp sender/water pump and it's okee-dokee.

I've tested both coolants, and the Amsoil is just better. It will reach the 1/2 mark, but generally stays under it, and doesn't overheat ever. It gets to about 110 degrees F down here with wicked humidity...

Nicholas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 16th, 2005, 10:41 AM
DaveHuny
Van Der Waal
none

Then your gauge must read hotter than mine. I would test your coolant temp with a kitchen thermometer (don't lick it ) so you know if it's "high" when it's at the middle.
Old May 16th, 2005, 11:33 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Yes, I tested the thermostat before I installed it and it worked fine, and even before the 'old thermostat' unit failed, it read just the same. I mean, it MAY NOT BE at 1/3, but it's definitely lower than 1/2... In any case, it works and when I've used regular coolant the gauge is higher.

Hmm...

N

Old May 16th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

I'm suprised to see a coolant thread go this long without mention of "water wetter". Has that stuff fallen out of favor? (There's alot of talk about it on the F.A.Q. section, but it's all 4-5 years old)
Old May 16th, 2005, 02:02 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Yes, I believe Redline's Water Wetter (I'm sure there's others) can be used with regular 'green' antifreeze... Synthetic/Propylene Glycol Antifreeze such as Amsoil does not require any additives, at least that's what Amsoil says. Same goes for their 'other' synth oils...

Nicholas

Old May 16th, 2005, 04:35 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

$25 a gallon for coolant? Pathetic.

Always used Zerex green from 1975 on. Corvette, TR6, Jetta GLI, all Rovers. It was best for aluminum then and it's still more than good enough.

If you change it annually you certainly don't need the expensive stuff. Stick to the tried and true.
Old May 16th, 2005, 04:42 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by artm
$25 a gallon for coolant? Pathetic.

Always used Zerex green from 1975 on. Corvette, TR6, Jetta GLI, all Rovers. It was best for aluminum then and it's still more than good enough.

If you change it annually you certainly don't need the expensive stuff. Stick to the tried and true.
And you'd know right ? I forgot you were the internet authority for Coolant too! Sheesh, I gotta keep up.
Speaking from someone who'd be scared to climb a rooftop tent ladder I should have known where your strenghts lie...
Quote: "looks kinda scary"...

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeez...lol

Nicholas

Old May 16th, 2005, 05:18 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

1. Well, I do know. I know that first I saw the commercials showing Zerex's superiority and then I followed up by reading it in print in two car mags. So, based on that blind faith and 30 years of use I can say what I said: it works just fine for me. Amsoil is just overpriced crap - you should know, that's all you seem to tout!

2. You should read posts more carefully. I said climbing that front ladder was scary - for a girl! Even Dave agreed it is not meant for climbing. The last thing I need is for my girl to scramble down that thing to take a pee in the middle of the night.

3. $25 a gallon for coolant. Pleeeeeeeeeeeeez...lol!

You're just an Amsoil bitch.
Old May 16th, 2005, 05:46 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Artie,

Ah... I anxiously awaited your nominal response... Careful now & calm down there little man... Yes, I do enjoy Amsoil, it seems to work and even in the engine it runs much smoother than when I had 'mineral' in there ... Ever hear the term 'don't knock it till you tried it' ?
Maybe you should get back on your heart med's and calm down a bit before you blow a blood vessel.

1. You take commercials & car mag's as the gospel eh ? Very funny. I work for an advertising agency and I know better ... And as far as Amsoil being crap... why not research it on the internet or talk to 'others' who know... It's the best out there, even if money were not an issue. (Amsoil crap ? Where do you live under a rock ?... you sound like you just got your driver's license).

BUT-- Let's say money was not an issue... You're telling me that the xerex stuff is better than Amsoil ? Based on a commercial you saw 'years ago' ? Isn't it time to excel and not just 'get by' or as you say 'works fine for me' ?

2. Yes, I did read the post, quite carefully in fact, and didn't feel the need to respond at the time... BUT, now that you bring it up, you asked if a woman was to be expected to climb up & down the ladder... Then, you said 'looks kinda scary', and then you said you'd prefer it if the ladder was mounted on the ground. So, you said it, 'looks kinda scary' which means it looks scary to you; You made no mention of the girls thinking it was scary, so in fact, you're a scaredy cat. LOL... This one is too good.
Oh, and Dave said he 'thinks' that the ladder is for stabilization, but the one I have is made for climbing into and out of the rooftop tent. As his is, but he had custom plated flooring put in so he could exit the tent out the back (pretty freakin' cool, but I haven't done that...yet...maybe...), if you don't do that, there's no way to exit the tent from the back... HENCE, you have to use the front ladder. There's plenty of room to fit in the front of mine, and I'm not a small dude... To each his own.

Yes, you're right, I may be an amsoil bitch, but at least I'm not a scared bitch.

This is almost like the PBB... !! Don't worry Art, it'll be ok...

Nicholas

Old May 16th, 2005, 06:08 PM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

So we have pple that use
1. orange prestone
2. purple amsoil
3. green zerex
4. green stuff
I guess I'll go down to the local shop and start reading some labels, green or orange.

And if I may request Art and Nic go flame each other on non coolant topics on another thread? Thankyou.
Old May 16th, 2005, 06:27 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Well, I guess I'll take the bait again and reply to your rantings - you silver-tongued ad agency guy you...

1. I recall a time before the Internet where many of us uninformed were enlightened many a time by TV commercials. Yes, back then it was "almost gospel", thanks to you ad agency guys. I also recall a time when "Hot Rod" was gospel to many a young car enthusiast. I admit, I was once such an enthusiast and succumbed to its teachings. Perhaps some of those were marred by the whims of ad agency guys like you but no need to accuse anyone now. For the most part it really was gospel, Nicky...really.

I will not get into another Amsoil debate. I will say that anyone who thinks all of their products are gospel is not entirely correct. I don't have to waste money to try Amsoil. I wasted money trying Mobil 1. Now I'm back to dino for practical reasons. Practical in that it does the job and without leaks. No need to fall for the latest and "greatest" any more. I bet I can stick Mobil 1 or even a synthetic blend (heaven forbid!) in your motor and you won't know the difference. You live in Florida, even dino warms up nicely to make your motor smooth running! I have noticed smoother startup in the coldest days here with Mobil 1. But the tradeoff is less "stick" by synthetics in general so, to me, that's a problem.

2. I won't get into the tent crap. If you didn't get my meaning then too bad.

I hope my retort has been nominal enough for you. And, by the way, I did throw in a smiley face there - that means this is lighthearted, where applicable.

Bitch.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoloco
So we have pple that use
1. orange prestone
2. purple amsoil
3. green zerex
4. green stuff
I guess I'll go down to the local shop and start reading some labels, green or orange.
Scott,

Are you really going to get your answer off the labels? I doubt it. Well before the time of non-green coolant there were plenty of aluminum radiators and heads all around us. What do you think they used? That's right, the green stuff.

From my Corvette club days I can tell you that everyone used Zerex (almost everyone, OK). And we're talking a few guys using it in their driven 396, LT1 and 427 'Vettes of the '60's. That's driven - not stored. All of these were aluminum radiators and some heads.

Green's where it's at. Don't fall for the Dark Side.
Old May 16th, 2005, 08:11 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Alright now I'm pissed I had a reply all typed out and it somehow got F-ed up and is gone! So here it goes again.

I'm with Art, go green. You need to change the coolant yearly no matter what in a Rover. The coolant gets contaminated with other stuff and isn't able to do it's job or protect the engine as well. I don't care how well you say your pudding is, once someone spills dirt in it it tastes like crap and no one wants it! Same goes for coolant, if it gets dirt, oil, exhaust gases or whatever in it it don't work as well. That's why you need to change it once a year. Rover engines don't seal as well as newer engine, don't believe me? How many head gaskets have you seen on a rover go bad? Exactly, tons!

As far as Orange vs Green, I have heard that one talked to death before, i think on pirate or Rovers North, the conclusion was if it came with green from the factory, then put green in it, if it came with orange, then put orange in it!

OH and As Scott said, NO hijacking to flame each other. If you don't have some real world proof that what you use works better then you don't have much to say. Not to pick sides but, the way I see it is if you have been using it for 30 years then you have some proof that it works, and if you are the Ad Agency guy saying don't listen to the Ad Agency guys then you are basically saying don't listen to me?
Old May 16th, 2005, 09:24 PM
souza
Dave Souza
1995 Defender 90 SW #275

I hate to add fuel to the fire, but isn't Rover green *different*? I don't mean just more expensive at dealer prices either . I have heard folks, supposedly in the know, claim that what killed the 215 buick engine for the US market back in the 50s was that it required special antifreeze that was very expensive at the time. People didn't use it, and they had engine trouble, gave the motor a bad name. (So sell it to the British!) Aluminum radiators and heads are common, but not so much aluminum blocks, especially back then. Silicates are baaaad for Rover V8s. Has no one else heard this stuff?

I haven't checked the FAQ in a while (and too lazy to do it now), but I thought this special green was discussed there somewhere? (where the heck did I get it then?) In any case, I by the pre-mixed 'green' from Honda. I am under the impression this is not the same green Prestone (Zerex?) available at autozone, and very well suited for all aluminum engines. I could be wasting my money (wouldn't be the first time)...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
coolant